juang123

Intermediate Fishing Reels

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hello! I'm wondering if anyone could suggest some intermediate saltwater spinning reels to be paired up with my Ugly Stik elite spinning rod, its a 7 ft, medium power, 2 piece. The fish i'll mainly be targeting are Striped bass, Bluefish and Fluke. Reel sizes I'm looking for are 3000-4500 but if you have a size suggestion go ahead and tell me about it! I'm looking to spend 100$ or less, but if I have to i'll spend more in the name of fishing! ANY suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! :)

Daiwa BG 3500 or 4000 . Can find under 100 bucks, and have some great reviews. I have a 3000 on an inshore rod i use for fluke and schoolies.  I also like shimano reels and I am sure they have something in your price range that would be solid. Good luck

3 mins ago, HoldMyBass said:

Daiwa BG 3500 or 4000 . Can find under 100 bucks, and have some great reviews. I have a 3000 on an inshore rod i use for fluke and schoolies.  I also like shimano reels and I am sure they have something in your price range that would be solid. Good luck

Any Daiwa BG 2500 to 4000 should do it!:)

Penn spinFisher v isn't bad.  Look at a ssv4500.

My solution to fluke/bass is a penn slammer 3 4500.  If you do not buy a spare spool, put 20lb braid.  I have a 11ft medium for surf, a 9ft medium for fluke, and a 7ft surf rod for my inflatable boat. I use 20lb fireline on that one.

I do have ssv3500 I use for fluke, springtime schoolie  bass, and freshwater.  I have only 1 spool right now with 14lb fireline.  But, will be buying a spare spool for 8lb braid, maybe 10lb.  

I love fireline, basically heat fused braid.  But I'm thinking their 14lb is really more like 20lb compared to others.  

One spool will be ok of from boat.  Getting to fluke from shore might require lighter line.

If from shore, that 7ft can be very limiting on bass or blues.  Jetty, boat,or pier might be ok.

You might want a 9 to 11ft surf rod.  Tsunami has a value brand called ande tournament surf series.  I have their 7ft for a boat rod.  However, I know a few folks who like the 10ft.

If your fishing bait mostly get something with 4oz in the middle of the weight range.  If fishing lures, get something with 1.5oz of weight in the middle range.

BG would be my number one pick at that price point. There's a bunch of options it's just that the BG really offers a lot of bang for your buck.

As time goes on, I have really come to favor the BG. Can easily find one for under a hundred bucks. I can also recommend the Shimano Nasci too. It’s a very capable reel for the price, and it does have a better quality forged gear compared to the BG cast gear.

1 min ago, Tagman said:

As time goes on, I have really come to favor the BG. Can easily find one for under a hundred bucks. I can also recommend the Shimano Nasci too. It’s a very capable reel for the price, and it does have a better quality forged gear compared to the BG cast gear.

Yep the nasci is anouther good choice. I dunked mine deep wading a few times last year. Rinsed it off, opened it up and found no water intrusion and it's none the worse.