Angler #1

Cape Cod Canal LOng Range

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

plans to harness the current to generate electricity by installing tidal/hydroelectric generators at the West end seems like a good idea or not ? On one hand if they get it up and running it is more cost effective then other forms of electricity or so they say? It would be good for perhaps cheaper electric rates for the canal region or not. Now on the other side of the coin what effect would this have on any of the migrating schools of fish that use this river way on an annual basis? The present talks seem to be heading in that direction or at least sitting on the design table for consideration. If the Mass Maritime get to install one they would also get to have study programs they could set up to train others in this process of harnessing moving current to make electricity. At the least they would be able to reduce there electric bills , but at what expense will that be for the fish that will be swimming some of these same waters.?.

Reading this mornings CCT another person has suggested that simply put in a raised causeway to replace the bridges and incorporating some of these Tidal/hydroelectric generators into some sort of sluice way that would be under the causeway . Now that would be a disaster in my opinion for the fish that use this water way . What say yee fellow fishermen  of this idea? 

5 mins ago, sandbars said:

The state doesn't even use the ones they have now and its a shame. No impact to environment or fish and they can generate a lot of power. 

That may be so my friend , but what if they placed two under where each bridge is now standing at all bridges , what may be the result then . That would be 6 units generating electricity . I would expect some sort of a impact , maybe not.  Pure speculation at this time

when is the big day?

Edited by Angler #1

I would imagine the channel would be left open for shipping - this would allow fish movement.

I suspect there would be an off limits area around turbines.  No fishing, lobstering, etc.

1 hour ago, capequahog said:

i predict any project to get tidal power from the canal, if in fact its being considered will fail, most of these green energy schemes turn into scams for govt money

Quite true John, with all of the low cost electrical generators out there including wind, solar, and (out here anyway) hydro-power, the utilities shoud be paying us to use their power instead of charging us more...………...

58 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

I thought similar tests were already performed and it was determined that debris fouling made the system inoperable and the effort to keep the system clear too laborious?

They did but you know how that goes...…………..

Isn't this an old story, or has something new emerged? Two years ago a dock like structure was built. Across the canal from my home next to the rr bridge on ACOE property. Some sort of experimental hydroelectric generator was installed. It remained in the water for its prescibed alloted time and the results calculated. 

Is this the same project or is it something new?

The way things are going a gang member will probably shoot someone at the Canal and that will be that. Army Corp has to step in and shut it down to fishing. Enjoy it while you can.