Spigola

Bait casting reel for 7 1/2 foot MH rod for tog jigging

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Looking for a good bait casting reel with guts to put on my 7 1/2' MH Inshore Avid for tog jigging.  Trying to keep it under $200.  Trying to also keep it light and a real smooth caster.  Will probably use it for tossing jig heads for other species also.

Daiwa Lexa 300 is the one that Snaps reccommended to me a couple years ago and I like them plenty.

At the time there was an amazon seller that would come in from time to time at 150 bucks. You have time so it my be worth a price watch for a month or so. 

1 hour ago, Spigola said:

Looking for a good bait casting reel with guts to put on my 7 1/2' MH Inshore Avid for tog jigging.  Trying to keep it under $200.  Trying to also keep it light and a real smooth caster.  Will probably use it for tossing jig heads for other species also.

No. No. No.

Spinning reel.  Spinning rod.

Went old school round reel.  I used to use an original Shimano Calcutta 400 years ago for lots of saltwater fishing and loved it.  Took a ride to TD and decided on the Calcutta 200GTB.  Incredibly smooth and fast spool.  Just what I was looking for for the niche it will fill.  I always cast this reel well and it will drop that jig to the bottom quickly.  Not to mention it is built like a tank.

Slacks, I already have spinning rod and reel I can play with.  Wanted a new toy.   

5 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Always had a tough time casting on a PB.  10 oz and bait no problem flipping it out a little bit but flipping a 2 oz jig a ways is birds nest city to me.

Yea I know, Daiwa Lexa lopro reel has mag control, and a power handle, nice for jiging .