The Salty Fisherman

Cheapest Places to Buy Rod Building Supplies?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I am new to the rod building game.  I have just built my first rod.  It was very simple without any crosswraps or anything fancy.  It was so enjoyable to build, and I cant wait to build another.  The only issue is that I feel like it is a really expensive hobby.  The components from the first rod that I built were bought from Mudhole.  The rod that I build cost about 100$ all said and done.  This is by no means super expensive, but it is also not cheap.  I see many people with rows upon rows of fishing rods that they have built themselves.  Although it is possible, I simply can not see these people spending 100+ dollars on each fishing rod.  I thought that there was possibly some other source where people were buying the components for these fishing rods.  Is there one that I do not currently know about?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance...

To put things in perspective, many, including myself, have spent roughly $100 on a single guide... (Fuji RV25 in Torzite).

$100 for a blank and all components on a saltwater build is extremely reasonable. 

If you are looking to spend the least amount possible on blanks/components, you’re better off buying a $30 rod, stripping it, and rewarding it with the colors you want. 

Mud hole does run specials from time to time. Their CRB line of products tends to be priced cheaper than name brand blanks & components. 

There is no place that is cheap on everything. Mudhole is very reasonable on some things, expensive on others. Other places work the same way. Take into account shipping costs also. You could order from 3 different places but the shipping will wipe away any savings and might cost more than ordering from a single place.

dont forget the is some truth in the saying you get what you pay for. the Fuji RV Guides mentioned above are quite expensive and not for everyone. but Fuji also offers some very economical guides as well. The aluminum  oxide guides and tip tops from Fuji are a great value and work well with mono or braid.. You get a attractively priced guide from the best guide company in the business. Same goes for the rest of your components, you can find deals but building something you dont like or that needs to be rebuild wont save you anything. its not the most inexpensive hobby but you can keep the cost reasonable if you work at it. Good luck 

Do not go down the cheap road.    Save your pennies and buy quality components.     Plan your builds far in advance, make a parts list, watch specials, prowl Ebay.    Best time to buy from Mudhole is after Thanksgiving, they have incredible specials at this time, reducing inventory before tax time..

If you going into rod building to save money, you are doing it wrong.  Better off just buying a production rod.  I do agree with others, plan ahead for better pricing.  Subscribe to their mailing list for special sales.

27 mins ago, hobobob said:

If you going into rod building to save money, you are doing it wrong.  Better off just buying a production rod.  I do agree with others, plan ahead for better pricing.  Subscribe to their mailing list for special sales.

This is how you do it. U want the best components at cheapest cost, shipping included. If you play the long game, you can do it. black friday sales, 4th of July, memorial day, you will see nice site wide sales at all the retailers like mudhole, getbit, etc.,  or with lots of things marked down if not site wide. Also, coupon codes. pro tip: if you have stuff in your checkout cart for a week at mudhole, they'll send you a 10% off coupon by email. also, if yoiu have rod building stores where you live, they have specials and conventions and gatherings where stuff can be marked way down. Buy it when you see it low, hang on to it until you have time to build.  

Good Example:    Three weeks before Thanksgiving I made an order to Mudhole.

The order arrived a few days before T day.      Just after T day, the Mudhole clearance email showed up.   So I basically duplicated the order but at about 1/2 the price.  And shipping was free for over $100 purchase.  Thinking ahead, a lot of my components are common, especially reel seats, grips and guides.  So I can stock up for future builds.

Sign up on Mudhole and request a catalog.   This way you will be on their email list and receive the sales notices.

Silverado Has some good points . most of the supply places have sales around all special day's through out the year  

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

You guys ever heard of the rest of the world as a place to shop.

You have a strong dollar why not flex its muscle.

Mike

I shop the major suppliers.  I like Mudhole as they usually have what I need.  Shipping time could be a pain as I live way out in the Pacific NW, I can see Victoria, B.C., from my driveway.   But I plan far ahead so shipping time is no problem.

And I have the luxury of being just 10 miles from Batson, Pac Bay, and Utmost.    Sort of a rod builders heaven, no shipping costs!  Especially for some of the over 8 foot blanks I have.   I stumbled across three Ulua blanks at Utmost a couple of years ago:   One piece.  Two 12 footers and one 13 footer.  The kind the boys in Hawaii use.   Will wrap one in the near future for a super heaver tossing big bait for Halibut.