Roccus7

You Saco River Rats Happy or Mad???

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just curious about your feelings??

Edited by BillB
commercial link removed (not the first time that I've had to do this to your posts)

I won’t miss it as I haven’t fished there in 7 years  or more, more of a walk in crowd the last couple years that I would see there, I used to see Riptide Robert there pretty offen woulder what he’s up to these days...

over all all though the fishing has stunk there and the whole river in the spring the ast few years do to the lack of harring the last few years.... 

I dunno if it’s social media blowing this up....it’s a very easy access spot....with a good amount of “bigger” fish.....and dams and choke points. As close to fish in a barrel as it gets. Should be artificials only and probably CR....love shad fishing it tho!

How happy would high rent tenants be with a bunch of dam rats parking in their lots and trashing the property. The price on property does seem low but I could only imagine the hoops a developer would have to go thru to build there. Show me the money 

17 hours ago, SacoStriperFisha said:

What did I miss????

You missed nothing, it’s been moved to March? I think is what I Hurd on the radio this am. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

My bad, forgot SOL doesn't like commercial links, even for news stories.  Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...

Yes, they bought themselves a little time since the story first came out

Auction postponed, giving developer more time to get $40 million Saco Island project approved

By Gillian GrahamJanuary 10, 2019

1762750_953779-SacoIsland0119-e154709371A public auction of land on the east side of Saco Island has been postponed to give a developer more time to secure approvals for a $40 million mixed-use project.

Joan Kurker, who holds a $350,000 mortgage on the parcel,  to foreclose on the mortgage, according to documents filed in the York County Registry of Deeds. The planned sale cast doubt on the future of the ambitious project proposed by developer Bernie Saulnier of J&B Partners to transform the undeveloped site near Saco’s downtown. City officials were prepared to participate in the auction.

Jon Flagg, the Portsmouth-based attorney for Kurker, said his client decided to postpone the sale until 3:30 p.m. March 15 to give Saulnier’s group more time to secure necessary project approvals.

“I fully expect that ultimately the sale will be canceled,” Flagg said. “The borrowers are working diligently in the right direction and the lender is very pleased with that.”

Saulnier has been working for more than a year on his plans to transform the nearly 6-acre parcel. The project, called The Waters, includes residential units, a 50-room boutique hotel, a restaurant and retail space, a 69-slip marina and a walking path along the river. The housing would be split among three buildings with a combined 87 apartment units and five townhouses.

The project has not gone before the Saco Planning Board, and last summer ran into delays when the Saco River Corridor Commission, a quasi-state organization that works to protect the environment along the corridor, tabled the project application.

City Administrator Kevin Sutherland said Thursday he was unaware the auction of land had been postponed.

City officials describe the Saco Island East property as a gateway to the city and say its development could have a significant impact on the core of the downtown. The property is assessed at $379,000, according to city records.

Saco Island – also known as Factory Island – sits in the Saco River between the downtowns of Biddeford and Saco. It links both cities’ historic mill districts, where developers in the last decade have transformed former textile factories into commercial and light industrial spaces and also housing.

Edited by BillB

I’m not sure the development would be such a bad thing.....as long as things were put in place to protect the water.....Saco could use the growth and it certainly would help out Portland.  That space for fishing is personally a love hate.  It was awesome when I was young and getting into the sport but has definitely lost its appeal.  I believe access to locations of this sort are essential in the growth of our sport and even the safety of stripers....as long as the water is “clean” and fish are allowed to swim.  It’s a very special fishery and somewhat unique for our state. Only a couple rivers with returns like it and it’s structure is very different.  CR, artificials, and barbless. Than I’d maybe be excited about the development.

I'm all for the developing of Saco island. It'll restrict the shore fishing but that ain't such a bad thing at that location.

If my memory is right they have been trying to develop this island for quite a while...maybe close to 10 years.  At one point in one of the proposals there was going to be a walk way for people fishing.  That would be pretty cool if they could do something like that.

they've clear-cut that land now and it looks like crap. And it's held up in court. I want it back how it was.

I like this spot. Shad are fun. And the fact that it's a 2 minute walk from my house is nice!