jesgord

Fiberstar Composites shutting down.....

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, SurffisherMike said:

The FSC brand of rods is a owned by John, regardless of who makes the blanks/rods. In addition getting a tip made, 1 tip would be tough. These companies dont make 1 rod much less 1 tip at a time. It simply isnt cost effective That being said there maybe some tips already made that are available. I have spoken to John about any  existing inventory and there some blanks and rods left. I am going to see about getting those rods and blanks myself.

Lemme know if you get his inventory. Texted John the other day after I heard the news on ig/fb. Hard to imagine myself without a 1087 in my lineup, but wasn't going to ask him about backups when he just announced his closure. Know he put alot of work into those rods, so it is sad to see shipping as the main hurdle to drive a quality rod company and good person out of the rod business. Fished alot of stuff by now, and his lineup is my go to for all around versatility.

22 hours ago, Drew C. said:

CTS cuts their '1-pc' blanks into two sections. 11' come cut @28" and 8'8". Spigot ferrule is installed and they are glued up to one piece (fused...). Last time that I ordered shipping via Fedex from NZ was $35. That seems to work quite well, maybe it's a solution to the 1 pc issue. 

The problem is that long 1-pc rods are not a big market overall. So in the end, we're gonna get what we get here.

That solution worked out great when max shipping length without overages was 9’... now max shipping length before overages are charged is 8’. 

How long ago was the last time you ordered Drew? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, tfucini said:

That solution worked out great when max shipping length without overages was 9’... now max shipping length before overages are charged is 8’. 

How long ago was the last time you ordered Drew? 

I received two vapor trails from CTS on 12/21/18

Edited by Drew C.

Both UPS and FedEx have listed on their sites for max dims as:

108” max length

108” + Girth= 165” max

i have to assume USPS is the same?

Edited by FoliFish

Thanks Jesgord - disappointing news for sure / but as HKJ points out above, if you were fortunate enough to get one or two OR THREE of John’s rods over the past few years you cherish them more attentively now. 

Early last year, you and some others in this forum strongly endorsed and suggested FSC as I was looking for the best options for a 9’ one piece....thanks for that! I ended up with the SB086 & 1087 for different applications —- WHAT GREAT RODS! Both became my primary go to’s...and they will be until they wear out in 2027....:)

I figured something was up with John’s business a few months ago when the tackle shop that I frequent in NJ indicated he wasn’t returning their calls...and he hadn’t filled their order for 2019...

Thanks again.

26 mins ago, jasbake2 said:

Thanks Jesgord - disappointing news for sure / but as HKJ points out above, if you were fortunate enough to get one or two OR THREE of John’s rods over the past few years you cherish them more attentively now. 

Early last year, you and some others in this forum strongly endorsed and suggested FSC as I was looking for the best options for a 9’ one piece....thanks for that! I ended up with the SB086 & 1087 for different applications —- WHAT GREAT RODS! Both became my primary go to’s...and they will be until they wear out in 2027....:)

I figured something was up with John’s business a few months ago when the tackle shop that I frequent in NJ indicated he wasn’t returning their calls...and he hadn’t filled their order for 2019...

Thanks again.

Seems this trend started a while back with shops up in my area and trickled south to another MA shop then even into a CT retailer I called about the FSC built rods.  When shipping and other costs become too prohibitive you gotta do what you gotta do.

Its too bad whenever any small company has to close the doors.  I was really looking forward to the 11’ blanks coming out too.

Edited by FoliFish

On 1/12/2019 at 6:32 AM, SurffisherMike said:

The FSC brand of rods is a owned by John, regardless of who makes the blanks/rods. In addition getting a tip made, 1 tip would be tough. These companies dont make 1 rod much less 1 tip at a time. It simply isnt cost effective That being said there maybe some tips already made that are available. I have spoken to John about any  existing inventory and there some blanks and rods left. I am going to see about getting those rods and blanks myself.

Yes, please reach out if you pull this together! Was looking at 1 or 2 others to get.