jesgord

Fiberstar Composites shutting down.....

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

Sucks to read about fiberstar....I think about the other rod makers out there on the East and West Coast who do keep it in the USA and hope they hang in there.  Sure there's a shipping problem but when fishing gets harder people will drop out. Sadly it's only the beginning. Big inflation is on it's way.

3 hours ago, Billy 40 said:

Ypu're a Moderator, you shouldn't be this clueless. All teh roids were 2 piece over 8'6. Stupid comments like you made are a reflection of how little yu know abotu what you are talking abotu

Always easy to see when Billy40's in the room.  

Billy40, I am not in the tackle or rod-building business. I don't collect rod-building catalogs.  A mild speculation as to why a given firm is going out of business shouldn't upset you so much.  I'm sorry to see anyone making anything in the USA go out of business. 

Shipping costs are undoubtedly a problem for everyone in the rod business, especially if you don't have the volume of Lamiglas or St. Croix. It'll also hurt small retailers who haven't the space for hundreds or thousands of blanks, or the cash flow to lay out for them.  I assume this will drive the industry towards two-piece rods that ship more economically.  

On 1/10/2019 at 9:05 AM, SeaZen 21 said:

Kinda thought they were going this way. I broke a rod tip and sent it in for warranty replacement around turkey day after speaking to a company rep (possibly owner, whoever answers the phone). Took a few emails then calls to reach someone to confirm receipt. When I did, I was told they can’t get more blanks to deliver a replacement. 

Sorry to see them go. I loved that rod. Sooo, if anyone has a predator 1266) top section they don’t need, I’ll gladly take care of it for you. 

Just recently I enquired about who the company is that made FSC blanks. Someone responded that it might be a company named Talon in Washington state. They have a website. Who knows, you might find a rod tip match for your rod.

@BrianBM, the new shipping rate straight killed, not just for small business. Not just a small problem. Try go to lamiglas.com and order any single rod or blank that's longer than 8ft. Be sure to sit down when you look at the freight charge. Basically doubled the blank or rod cost. How many people are willing to pay a kings ransom to just ship one rod.

Edited by hobobob

11 mins ago, hobobob said:

@BrianBM, the new shipping rate straight killed, not just for small business. Not just a small problem. Try go to lamiglas.com and order any single rod or blank that's longer than 8ft. Be sure to sit down when you look at the freight charge. Basically doubled the blank or rod cost. How many people are willing to pay a kings ransom to just ship one rod.

Just went to Lami. Looks like they only have 30-70 2 piece rods which is a smart way of doing it. One piece blanks shows sold out and then told to go to local retailers. Still sucks for the small dealer retail. They have no choice to tag the shipping onto the blank.

The 2-Piece rods are a 70/30 split, for one-piece type feel, with 2-Piece transportability.

Due to Shipping Constraints, 1-Piece surf rods are only offered through Dealer Retail Store Locations. These items will show out of stock on our website, but will be available through your local retailer. 

16 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Just went to Lami. Looks like they only have 30-70 2 piece rods which is a smart way of doing it. One piece blanks shows sold out and then told to go to local retailers. Still sucks for the small dealer retail. They have no choice to tag the shipping onto the blank.

You can get 1pc Lamiglas blanks from local retailers. MOST of them purchase through regional distributors which helps dissipate the hit of freight due to larger volume being shipped across the country. USPS, UPS, and Fedex are screwing this...

1 min ago, nightfighter said:

So UPS, Fedex, and USPS have priced out the American fishing rod companies in order to make more money off all the Amazon made in China avalanche...…. Nice.

It has to do with package length and “dimensional weight” which is why you’re going to see a lot of 1pc 8’ rods out there becoming 7’10” or 7’11” for shipping reasons. Has nothing to do with just American rod MFG’s. Basically anyone shipping a package that length. 

1 hour ago, Tagman said:

Just recently I enquired about who the company is that made FSC blanks. Someone responded that it might be a company named Talon in Washington state. They have a website. Who knows, you might find a rod tip match for your rod.

They may have been wrapped in talons factory but they were made using fsc's mandrils and designs. So buying a talon is going to be different specs than buying a fsc.

It's about time we learn to live with multi-piece rods over 8 ft . the Europeans have done well with multipiece rods by necessity, everything is small in Europe, agreed there's nothing nicer than one-piece but crying over their demise will not bring them back.

CTS cuts their '1-pc' blanks into two sections. 11' come cut @28" and 8'8". Spigot ferrule is installed and they are glued up to one piece (fused...). Last time that I ordered shipping via Fedex from NZ was $35. That seems to work quite well, maybe it's a solution to the 1 pc issue. 

The problem is that long 1-pc rods are not a big market overall. So in the end, we're gonna get what we get here.

The FSC brand of rods is a owned by John, regardless of who makes the blanks/rods. In addition getting a tip made, 1 tip would be tough. These companies dont make 1 rod much less 1 tip at a time. It simply isnt cost effective That being said there maybe some tips already made that are available. I have spoken to John about any  existing inventory and there some blanks and rods left. I am going to see about getting those rods and blanks myself.