jesgord

Fiberstar Composites shutting down.....

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Kinda thought they were going this way. I broke a rod tip and sent it in for warranty replacement around turkey day after speaking to a company rep (possibly owner, whoever answers the phone). Took a few emails then calls to reach someone to confirm receipt. When I did, I was told they can’t get more blanks to deliver a replacement. 

Sorry to see them go. I loved that rod. Sooo, if anyone has a predator 1266) top section they don’t need, I’ll gladly take care of it for you. 

Edited by SeaZen 21
Rod model number

I hate to see them go along with cousins, means we’re gonna be down to Lamiglas and St Croix for quality surf sticks pretty soon, actually I never felt at a disadvantage using their stuff. 

The announcement remarked on transportation costs being so high for rods over 8'.  I'm sure this is true, but their closing might reflect the senior preference, often expressed here, for one piece rods. 

I have no problem with two piece rods. The state of the art has evolved quite a bit since I and Frank Daignault had a head full of hair. 

On 1/9/2019 at 4:52 PM, BrianBM said:

First Cousins, then this 'un. I infer that they were buying rod blanks from overseas?

YOu can't be this uneducated, it stats AMerican Made. John was so big on everything being Made in teh USA, even his masking tape, and all his apparel.

17 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I have no problem with two piece rods. The state of the art has evolved quite a bit since I and Frank Daignault had a head full of hair. 

Ypu're a Moderator, you shouldn't be this clueless. All teh roids were 2 piece over 8'6. Stupid comments like you made are a reflection of how little yu know abotu what you are talking abotu

35 mins ago, Billy 40 said:

Ypu're a Moderator, you shouldn't be this clueless. All teh roids were 2 piece over 8'6. Stupid comments like you made are a reflection of how little yu know abotu what you are talking abotu

I have a 9' raptor and it definitely isn't a 2pc (yet). 

1 hour ago, Billy 40 said:

I had 9' one piece from them as well. You should chill out....dude

I spent 34 minutes on the phone with him yesterday discussing the shipping issues, business plans, and options. Bottom line for me is that I am geographically undesirable for getting a 9' Raptor or Predator in my hands without driving down from north of Boston to Pa or Jersey show. Some accountants at UPS or Fedex came up with the 8' max for shipping and that decision alone has put the rod industry at risk.... 

Then add in the Chinese imports with their "quality" factory wrap and the crazy pricing I have seen advertised from companies like Century and you have the American quality product getting squeezed from both ends. 

Edited by nightfighter

First Cousins, then this 'un. I infer that they were buying rod blanks from overseas?

double post sorry gents

Edited by fishinthedark

They were made in Pennsylvania, Sorry to see them Go. 

I dealt with John and he was great to me Great Rod 

FSC / John was based in Pa. The blanks and rods were made in Wa. The company never would have had the blanks or rods made in China. Being made in America was basically part of the companies mission statement. Never did and never would have been made  anywhere else. It is a shame to see him close the company down. But it just wasnt fun for him anymore, thing were getting to complicated the shipping increase was a big issue, he just had the 1 pc 10' blanks made and was working on the 11'. Very bad timing.  

2 hours ago, Billy 40 said:

You’re a rod builder, you shouldn’t be this clueless. 

I see 5 rods over 8’6 that are one piece. Speaking of not knowing about something...Not to mention the 10 and 11’ one piece lineup they were developing...

4382F0CF-6FEA-4459-BCBC-37E43100D1A3.jpeg

6479C0AA-0302-4FC5-A906-D3BE8C8EE1CB.jpeg

You're a Moderator, you shouldn't be this clueless. All the rods were 2 piece over 8'6. Stupid comments like you made are a reflection of how little you know about what you are talking about

FIFY

2 hours ago, Local66 said:

I have a 9' raptor and it definitely isn't a 2pc (yet). 

1 hour ago, FlukeOff said:

I had 9' one piece from them as well. You should chill out....dude

1 hour ago, DAQ said:

:laugh:

22 mins ago, TLap21 said:

You’re a rod builder, you shouldn’t be this clueless. 

I see 5 rods over 8’6 that are one piece. Speaking of not knowing about something...Not to mention the 10 and 11’ one piece lineup they were developing...

4382F0CF-6FEA-4459-BCBC-37E43100D1A3.jpeg

6479C0AA-0302-4FC5-A906-D3BE8C8EE1CB.jpeg

This is not the first time I've seen him flip out on people for zero reason.  Which is why I've never given him a cent.

I was considering ordering a few hundred bucks worth of components from him a few weeks ago but because of this I decided to send my money elsewhere.

I encourage others to do so as well.  

Dude flips out on a moderator of a site where he constantly promotes his stuff.  As well as constantly insulting and speaking down to people.  

Great Job Billy!   Make yourself look like a fool for no reason at all.

Edited by scoobydoo