Sudsy

What vehicle that can fit an 11' rod inside gets the best MPG ??

44 posts in this topic

You can fit an 11 footer in any vehicle.  You might have to stick it out the window.  Not what you want to hear, i know.  Fact is there most likely doesn't exist a vehicle that you can do this comfortably unless it's a suburban or the big Yukon.  I loved my Yukon for that reason. My gear basically never left the truck. 

Anything else it would be a pain in the ass and not worth dealing with.

I think the highlander may come close.

With an 11 footer my edge comes reallllllly close a couple inches but not quite.  (combined 15mpgs)

It also depends on where you want them.  Your excursion you could fit 10 footers flush to the ceiling right?  That ain't gonna fly on anything but the largest.

most will sit right on the dash and likely end up touching the windshield.  (not an issue for me and the few hundred rods that i've transported..never chipped a guide)

I think the ford suv's and crossovers lie on the mileage....My neighbor bought a new escape 2 years back and traded it in within 3 months after it failing to come close to the claimed mileage.  Went with an acura.

The new stuff out for 2019 i don't know.

New exploder on the way looks like it might be a winner.

the Biggest bang for the buck is that new VW 33k for an almost Tahoe sized SUV....but has a VR6 that according to reviews has a bit of trouble getting out of it's own way.  But no force fed air spinney parts to worry about down the road.  

I want 1 more year out of mine before I buy again.

I want exactly what you want.....combined 20mpg's and can fit an 11 footer.  I went around to dealers before buying last go around with 10'6 rods

I wish pick up trucks had tailgates and "sidegates"

that way I could put a cap on and get to stuff that collects against the cab

Try looking at a Chevy Van 20 I used to get my 13"kayak in there with the rear doors open but tied.  It only stuck out about a foot .I Screwed home made rod racks to the ceiling .

Actually a truck is not a bad idea for you guys that use kayaks, getting the kayak in the truck bed is a hell alot easier than to hoist it up the roof. 

I had a subaru wagon over 10 years ago. I think an 11 fit inside but the tip was hitting the windshield.  Every bump and the tip got wacked.  You can throw a rack on the cross bars to use from going from spot to spot and store it inside  when needed. 

On 1/10/2019 at 1:50 PM, Sudsy said:

Not on the beach but occasionally on the dirt roads at the local WMA's

I don't believe there is such thing as a beach capable vehicle that can fit that size rod and still gets good mileage

i can fit  12' rod in dodge mini van standard size,they have  mini vans,short,standard and extended.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Your excursion you could fit 10 footers flush to the ceiling right? 

11' 6" in the internal rod racks without touching the windshield

As diesel prices went up and the formulation was changed it went from averaging 16 mpg to just over 13, and with diesel going from less than the price of regular to costing more than regular, it no longer makes economic sense.

Plus it needs another 10K worth of work and I don't want to deal with that

I remember when diesel spiked paying $250 to fill the tank, which was good for a week - I never want to deal with that again and at some point we're going to see another fuel cost spike.

There has to be a best choice, I'll keep driving the jeep until we figure it out

Edited by Sudsy

20 mpg average

If it's less than that don't bother bringing it up (like the Chevy Van)

Lot's of choices in the 16 mpg average area

I can fit multiple 11 ft rods inside my 99 Suburban using custom headliner rod holders. When the rear doors are closed I till have a full inch clearance on front windshield and back window.  

22 hours ago, DutchGFX said:

Dumb question, but do people really own 1-piece 11' rods? As this thread suggests, transporting said rod must be a total PITA...

You could build a PVC tube and attach it to the rack of the car 

Yes I don't own any two piece surf rods.

The new 2019 Explorer is not 4x4.  Whether you need that is a matter of taste (I want it.) A long van, maybe.

I doubt there is a large SUV or P/U on the market that hits its' mileage rating.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

A newish (2014+) toyota highlander could fit it

28+ high way, around town around 24

Edited by iphish

4 hours ago, BrianBM said:

The new 2019 Explorer is not 4x4.  Whether you need that is a matter of taste (I want it.) A long van, maybe.

I doubt there is a large SUV or P/U on the market that hits its' mileage rating.  

But I think it has a sand mode lolol