Sudsy

What vehicle that can fit an 11' rod inside gets the best MPG ??

64 posts in this topic

I would have said the Volkswagen Sportwagon diesel at almost 50 mpg but it can only fit a 10' rod and that's diagonally

The Volvo crossover/wagon looks interesting but not sure about the cabin size, same goes for the Subaru's 

My Equinox could fit an 11 footer on a slight diagonal that didn't interfere with wife (too much) in the front seat. Guess we all have our priorities.

Honda Odyssey minivan.  I specifically bought it over SUV options for that reason.  It was also about $10000 less than SUVs similarly equipped.  Gets 30 mpg on highway at 70 mph. Don’t recommend it for driving on the beach though. Lol

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Are you going offroad with said vehicle, or not?

Not on the beach but occasionally on the dirt roads at the local WMA's

I don't believe there is such thing as a beach capable vehicle that can fit that size rod and still gets good mileage

Edited by Sudsy

9 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Not on the beach but occasionally on the dirt roads at the local WMA's

I don't believe there is such thing as a beach capable vehicle that can fit that size rod and still gets good mileage

put on top vehicle 4" pvc pipe with screw cap any size what you need.one guy has honda mini van can get more then 20 MPG.

you can fit that in full size chevy van 1500 or 2500,my frend get 20 MPG.

20 hours ago, JimJ said:

Honda Odyssey minivan.  I specifically bought it over SUV options for that reason.  It was also about $10000 less than SUVs similarly equipped.  Gets 30 mpg on highway at 70 mph. Don’t recommend it for driving on the beach though. Lol

you lost me when you said minivan

Mazda CX-9.  11’ lami with overkill pool noodle protection.  Bends a bit at the windscreen (and makes a blind spot) but it fits.  Claimed 22/28 mpg.  We get better highway, worse city.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Dumb question, but do people really own 1-piece 11' rods? As this thread suggests, transporting said rod must be a total PITA...

You could build a PVC tube and attach it to the rack of the car 

Edited by DutchGFX

35 mins ago, DutchGFX said:

Dumb question, but do people really own 1-piece 11' rods? As this thread suggests, transporting said rod must be a total PITA...

Yes.  Some do, and some regard a single piece as preferable. That was true years ago. 

4 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Yes.  Some do, and some regard a single piece as preferable. That was true years ago. 

I imagine they would be better as 1 piece usually is, I just didn't know it was feasible since it would be hard to transport 

They aren't better any more, really. Even in fly rods, normally made in 3, 4, 5 or 6 pieces, the ferruling is good enough to not impede casting. Even rods made for competitive tournament casting are usually two-piece. 

I've had both, and got rid of my 11'+ one piece rods. They aren't worth the problem of transportation any more.  The only one left is a Lami 1322, and it's a nice rod - but it doesn't outcast more modern sticks that I also own, that are two-piece. 

IMHO the 70/30 splits are better then 50/50, another thing that gets a lot of argument.

16 hours ago, DutchGFX said:

Lami GSB1321M

And even when you're fishing a 2 piece, who wants to break it down every time you more to a different spot ?

And with the the thievery going on everything stays inside the vehicle !!

This thread is about vehicles that can fit an 11' rod and get good milage

Not if you should fish an 11' rod or not, or on the merits of one piece vs two piece (there are 1000 threads on that already)

Let's stay on topic