z-man

Fishing/parking in Dennis?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I’ve been informed that our annual weeklong trip with friends to Truro is being moved to Dennis this year. I think our friends are too scared of sharks and wanted a change.  I think it’s a horrible idea but we’re staying near Mayflower beach in August. I’ve never fished in that area. What is the fishing like in that area by shore or kayak and more importantly what is parking like?  Do you need a permit to park at the beaches early in the morning.  The bass river is also not too far away so I could bring the kayak there. Does anyone know if you need a parking permit for the Wilbur Park boat launch?

thanks

I'm a summer resident of Dennis. You do need a permit to park at the beaches during Beach Hours (8-5) ... you can park, or at least you have always been able to park hassle-free early and late. Being at Mayflower Beach, you can access some good evening spots ... Corporation Beach, Chapin Beach ... definately good kayaking, and I'd focus on Barnstable Harbor for that.There are several places to launch from ... you just need to pick the right tide (launch on the outgoing and come in on the in-coming). You can also launch out of Mayflower beach, and either go west toward Barnstable Harbor, or go east toward Corporation beach and the rocky points between their and Sesuit. Early AM or evening launch at Paines Landing in Brewster gets you over the flats ... do that on a high tide and you should have opportunities. I fish quite a bit at Sesuit and the flats east. You should still be able to get your fishing fix. I'd stay away from Bass River in August ... the bass fishing dries up on the southside beaches after June.

Ping me when you get down there

Wilbur park you have never needed a parking pass and don't think its changed. Only problem with Yarmouth is they open and close gates late in morning and early at night in season. Dennis parking can be a problem if you don't have a sticker. Again they close gates early at night as well.   

August can be difficult.  August 2018 was spectacular.  Fishing from shore is an option.  They can cruise around in knee deep water chasing baitfish right onto the shore.   A kayak will let you cover a lot more water and allow you to see some amazing marine life.  If you have trouble finding fish, look for the charter boats trolling the same area over and over.  Barnstable Harbor always has stripers, but they get wise when 20+ boats are after them on a daily basis.  And while there are fewer grey seals and great whites Bayside, they are around. 

4 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

August can be difficult.  August 2018 was spectacular.  Fishing from shore is an option.  They can cruise around in knee deep water chasing baitfish right onto the shore.   A kayak will let you cover a lot more water and allow you to see some amazing marine life.  If you have trouble finding fish, look for the charter boats trolling the same area over and over.  Barnstable Harbor always has stripers, but they get wise when 20+ boats are after them on a daily basis.  And while there are fewer grey seals and great whites Bayside, they are around. 

For sure on the great whites . Matter of fact they even came up and swim through the canal on occasion.. We have seen times when they even have taken a few bass from those fishing out of boats and not to far away from where he plans of vacationing. They will in the long term be something that we all will continue to see more and more of as the water becomes warmer and the bait is keeping them feeding.  They do like striped bass on a hook . I believe we had around 3 or 4 reports of Great whites taking the bass hooked last summer. It is even more then scary when you are the one on the other end of the rod , looking down on and seeing all of those smiling teeth

Town stickers are everywhere in August.Some beach parking lots are actually closed at night due to morons partying years past.Check the signage at any beach 1st.You don't want to find your vehicle gone when you get back to the lot.

Thanks for the responses. I plan on getting a weekly beach parking pass while we are there as we will be going to the beach most days anyways.  My biggest concern is if the lots will be locked up if I want to get up early and fish before sunrise. 

The southside lots will be locked up in the mornings for sure and if your car is not out by closing time they have been known to lock it inside.

5 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

For sure on the great whites . Matter of fact they even came up and swim through the canal on occasion.. We have seen times when they even have taken a few bass from those fishing out of boats and not to far away from where he plans of vacationing. They will in the long term be something that we all will continue to see more and more of as the water becomes warmer and the bait is keeping them feeding.  They do like striped bass on a hook . I believe we had around 3 or 4 reports of Great whites taking the bass hooked last summer. It is even more then scary when you are the one on the other end of the rod , looking down on and seeing all of those smiling teeth

Fishing by kayak makes me more nervous every year.  I try to remind myself to keep my center of gravity centered and low while I reach for a fish, raise the fish's head out of the water, and always look for a dark shadow before you grab the fish.