gray gables

M&D's, closing

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Just read online that mike is closing up shop. This was one of the best shops around the canal. A real shame that this is happening. Great people, always made you feel welcomed in their. 

Yes that would a shame if this is true . Unfortunately if that is the case the fishing world will lose out on another place to shop . Hope all is well with his family if that is the case.

3 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Yes that would a shame if this is true . Unfortunately if that is the case the fishing world will lose out on another place to shop . Hope all is well with his family if that is the case.

Carl, it is true. Mike posted something on fb today, total bummer. 

It might not suck for him.  He's been open 33 years? He's probably pushing, if not having reached retirement age. I think he owns the property. Not only the business but an apartment upstairs. Might be a desirable piece if property. Property values are high. Sell it, put away a pile of cash. No more ins, prop tax, elec bill, etc.  I don't blame him. 

Damn,I was looking at dropping by to pick up eyes for flies.I do most years at this time.Actually was on the site on Sunday.Always a great trip over the bridge to a great shop and people.Now with a pot shop around the corner.Boy are things changing.

1 min ago, theshadow said:

Damn,I was looking at dropping by to pick up eyes for flies.I do most years at this time.Actually was on the site on Sunday.Always a great trip over the bridge to a great shop and people.Now with a pot shop around the corner.Boy are things changing.

I am sure the Pot shop will keep things busy in and around the hospital area , where it is located . it will be missed for sure.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Noooo I have a gift card for there that I won from a fishing tourney that I haven’t used yet. 

Anyone know when it’s closing for good?

Edited by Mastatwista

Truly is a sad day for fishermen. And I truly hope that Mike’s closing the doors under good personal circumstance (ie retirement).

I have been fishing the area my entire life and M & D’s was by far and away the best shop I’ve been to. Whether you were coming in with a white bucket looking for scup bait or a sharpie looking for a specialty item, you always felt at home and never judged- never an ounce of pretentiousness. 

It didn’t take long to give your trust to Mike. He would always try to get you exactly what you needed and for the best price possible. Never needed to worry about him up selling overpriced stuff you didn’t need. If anything he would “downsell” and guide costumers to get the most bang for their buck.

Just these two characteristics would make it the best shop around but you add to it his knowledge, product selection and plug collection, and it’s not even close.

Not to take anything away from the other fine shops around but M&D’s set the bar high. M&D’s the shop and the family will be sorely missed by the fishing community.

This is terrible news.  Couple this with my favorite rods (Fiber Star) going out of business and it hasn't been a good two days for me!  

I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors, but we all lost something special for sure.  

Hopefully Mike gets to fish and hunt more now in this next chapter.  I love fishing, but running a B&T would not be my ideal situation.