DerrickT

2019 SOL Food Fling Food Donation Thread

Rate this topic

136 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

This year the Food Fling will be held on Saturday, March 2nd at the Bayville Elks Club in Bayville NJ. Details are in Derrick's Sign Up Thread. This Thread is for Food and Supplies. Sign up in the Main Thread then come here to let us know if you can bring something.

This is SOL's PREMIER event of the year, and is not to be missed if you can possibly get there. It gives you a chance to meet and interact with a boatload of fellow SOLers and some of their families while eating great food. There are various events during the Fling proper, and over the entire weekend.

As this is an all-volunteer event, every year we ask folks to help out and contribute to various parts of the Fling if they can.

Folks bring their various specialty dishes, or help out with supplies, or help out with some of the staples. We always stress DO NOT try to feed 100 plus people with your dish, nor try to bring all of the needed staples......do what you can, as there is always plenty of food to go around, and there are always folks that will fill in the gaps.

CASH -- Cash is gladly accepted and will be used to rent the hall buy the above items as needed. Any excess will go into the pot for the Food Fling charity and donation bucket.

For those who wish to just make a monetary donation those can be made to Derrick thru PayPal or a check or money order can be sent too.

Paypal derrickt8829@yahoo.com

Or for checks or MO

Derrick Tryon

300 Spohn Rd

Sinking Spring Pa, 19608

On the Food side of things, the staples we need are as follows:

Burgers and Dogs - about 100 of each total

Sausage - I dunno, maybe 50 total, unless someone(s) is bringing sausage and peppers in a casserole, then less.

Rolls and buns for the above - 100 hot dog rolls, 150 hamburger rolls

Condiments such as ketchup, mustard, mayo, relish, salt and pepper

Pickles, cheese for burgers, etc. .

Snacks such as chips, pretzels, etc.

Coffee, milk, sugar, sweetener, cups

Desserts

The list below is a list including suggestions showing the kinds of dishes people bring. If you want to bring something not on the list, just say so :th:

Pulled Pork --  Y

CLAMS!  JMB, or MitchellNJ or both

Chilis -- Beef, White Chicken or Green. 3 different chilis would be great

Venison Chili--

Chili -- 

Fish Cakes --

Fresh kielbasi-

Sausage and peppers   Wantofish

Sausage and brocolli rabe pasta

Chicken sausage

Chicken Murphy with yellow rice

Pizza on the grill

Mac & Cheese--   Mrs biggene

Ribs

Stuffed Peppers

Burgers  MikeMc

Hot Dogs  Fishless

Stuffed Jalapenos

Chowders -- Fish, Manhattan clam, New England clam   

NE Chowder  JMB

Beef a Roni   2sammich

Baked ziti/lasagna CaroleS

Penne Vodka

Elbow macaroni

Brisket

Cassoulet

Buffalo Chicken Dip and chips

Salads:

deviled eggs  dadinthesuds

Tzatatsiki with pita --

Green salad

Chick pea

Three bean

Cesar

Cole Slaw  Schapps 812

Mac salad

Potato Salad-

Breads:

Italian Rolls/breads--

Hot dog rolls  Fishless

Burger rolls  MikeMc

Condiments

Relish

Ketchup  T Mac

Mustard   Tmac

Sweet oinions

Pickles,

Cheese for burgers, etc. . MikeMc

Snacks such as chips, pretzels etc.

Philly Soft Pretzels --  Terry Mac

Coffee  Bellringer

milk, sugar, sweetener

Desserts:

Brookies  Schnapps 812

Pineapple Upside Down cake   Mrs biggene

Brownies, pies, cakes, cookies, etc.

Cupcakes  2sammich

Triple fudge brownies

Key Lime Pies -- Sudsy

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Peach Pie

Baklava  CaroleS

Two desserts of something

Beyond that, you are welcomed/encouraged to bring whatever tickles your fancy or whatever might be your specialty. Salads, chili, casseroles, pasta dishes, soups, ribs, desserts, or whatever else you might wanna bring.  Let us know and we will add it to the list above.

Aside from the grills that we will have an attendant for, there is a large double oven in the kitchen, along with a 6 burner stove top and a large griddle, all of which that I and a helper will be tending/coordinating.

The only other thing we ask is that if you bring a dish that needs a serving spoon or such, that you also bring that along. We always do well in getting folks their dishes and large utensils back to them before they leave for the day.

So hope to see ya there, and share some laughs, conversations, and good food and drink!

Edited by JMB

You're crazy asking for 100 hamburger and hotdogs. I bought three boxes of burgers, sent CSJ home with one and took one (or partial one) home myself. 

Edited by MikeMc

If you cut back on burgers, please don't cut back on the buns. I will probably smoke a couple pork shoulders and make some slaw. Between 50 burgers and the pulled pork we'd need the 100 buns. 

Edited by Mike

8 hours ago, Mike said:

Are you accounting for Bellringer's cremated discards?

Bellringer hasnt been allowed near the grill the last 2 years

Maybe even 3

7 hours ago, Mike said:

If you cut back on burgers, please don't cut back on the buns. I will probably smoke a couple pork shoulders and make some slaw. Between 50 burgers and the pulled pork we'd need the 100 buns. 

Now we’re getting somewhere. I’ll make sure you get your buns. Not mine but someone’s.

I've got the Key Lime Pies again (iffin I don't Mrs Big Gene and/or Tammy will kick my behind)

I'm working on something new, an orange chocolate pie, If I have it fully worked out by then I'll bring one of them as well.

On 1/9/2019 at 11:27 AM, Mike said:

oh good lord, pulled pork on a hamburger bun? Y Mike Y? :dismay: 

I'll grab a couple dozen hard rolls from the bakery. jhc, hamburger buns. :rolleyes: