The Riddler

NocQua Battery

60 posts in this topic

46 mins ago, BillZ said:

Riddler;

Here's mine, it's been sitting since the end of October,/ 1st week of Nov (approx) charged it before i put it away....

I just put it back on the charger,  i'll let you know the time it takes to green light on.

Stay tuned....

20190111_204424.jpg.acff29eac4af6067dbe9ae104e5a5cea.jpg

That’s acceptable.  I am hoping it gets too 12.7.  Then we will have a basis. Thanks man!

So 6 hours ago I pulled my charger off and set the battery aside in a heated room. I just plugged it back in and it took 36 minutes before the green light came back on. It just makes no sense why the battery will not stay how it comes off the charger.

I'm starting to read up on Lithium Batteries. This article right here describes a lifepo4 battery. The Nocqua is a Lithium-Ion. For the hell of it I may buy a Lifepo4. Seems to me it holds more power.

A 12v lithium LiFePO4 battery fully charged to 100% will hold voltage around 13.3-13.4v. Its lead acid cousin will be approx 12.6-12.7v. A lithium battery at 20% capacity will hold voltage around 13V, its lead acid cousin will be approx 11.8v at the same capacity. As you can see, we are playing with a very narrow window of voltage with lithium, less than 0.5V over 80% capacity.

From what I am reading the "LifePO4" is the equivalent to the SLA's 12 volt 10AH but heavier than the Nocqua Lithium-ion. Weight is around 3lbs. Dakota seems to be a popular one. 

dakota.JPG

16 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Just for reference here is a 2 year old 12volt 10amp SLA that has been off the charger for 1 week. 12.9 volts. 

FCF85911-EA9A-4ADD-8613-DA0614ACCBDD.jpeg

spot burn!

9 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I'm starting to read up on Lithium Batteries. This article right here describes a lifepo4 battery. The Nocqua is a Lithium-Ion. For the hell of it I may buy a Lifepo4. Seems to me it holds more power.

I have the 10amp Nocqua. I am able to get two fishing trips per charge. To me, that is awesome considering my SLA would die after one year and even with my display turned down to setting 3 I was barely getting 3 hours of use.

I like the fact that it is small and light. Two fishing trips between a charge. I plug it in the night before I am going fishing and remove the charger before I head out in the morning. The time it takes to fully charge does not bother me since I am not in a situation where I need to fully recharge quickly and then head out again.

How many hours are you out there at one time fishing?

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Bill, do you feel it's holding a charge for a new battery?  What are your thoughts?

Juan, this battery is around 3 yrs old, (i think) i bought it after over abusing the 8ah sla i had at the time..... lesson learned.

i don't know the " out if the box numbers" of the noqua 10ah, probably would have been good to check, i just charged it and started using it.....

As far as holding a charge,  yeah,  seems pretty good,  Still tests in the normal parameters after sitting for a few months. 

Last nights 12.6 test number 5 minutes after removing the charger remained the same this morning.

I ran my old humminbird 581i on it & now the helix7si, i never really just left it on for several trips, I just pop it on the charger after every use,  doesn't take too long to top it off, depth of discharge is minimal when doing this & that increases cycle life for any battery..... takes 20 seconds to remove & replace, that's just the way i do it, others like yourself prefer having a second battery.

I rarely go 2 trips on a charge even though you can, i just think in terms of cycle life & not convenience,  less discharge = more cycles.

Fwiw, With  the lithium you get 100% discharge of available 12volt power vs less than 80% or so of available energy in the sla's and even then, the voltage in the sla just fades down until there's not enough juice to power the sonar unit and it shuts off.

When you deeply discharge an sla it's cycle life is drastically affected

When you deeply discharge a lithium it's cycle life is only slightly affected.

I agree with your past comment about sla's being cost effective, depends on how you look at it though.

Best......

Edited by BillZ

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

I have the 10amp Nocqua. I am able to get two fishing trips per charge. To me, that is awesome considering my SLA would die after one year and even with my display turned down to setting 3 I was barely getting 3 hours of use.

I like the fact that it is small and light. Two fishing trips between a charge. I plug it in the night before I am going fishing and remove the charger before I head out in the morning. The time it takes to fully charge does not bother me since I am not in a situation where I need to fully recharge quickly and then head out again.

How many hours are you out there at one time fishing?

I already know how long it will last for fishing trips. That's not even the question. We were looking at Multimeter numbers on seeing why the Nocqua is not holding the charge for me. Bill Z already answered my concerns.

Do you have a multi-meter to run a test and see what you get?

2 hours ago, BillZ said:

Juan, this battery is around 3 yrs old, (i think) i bought it after over abusing the 8ah sla i had at the time..... lesson learned.

i don't know the " out if the box numbers" of the noqua 10ah, probably would have been good to check, i just charged it and started using it.....

As far as holding a charge,  yeah,  seems pretty good,  Still tests in the normal parameters after sitting for a few months. 

Last nights 12.6 test number 5 minutes after removing the charger remained the same this morning.

I ran my old humminbird 581i on it & now the helix7si, i never really just left it on for several trips, I just pop it on the charger after every use,  doesn't take too long to top it off, depth of discharge is minimal when doing this & that increases cycle life for any battery..... takes 20 seconds to remove & replace, that's just the way i do it, others like yourself prefer having a second battery.

I rarely go 2 trips on a charge even though you can, i just think in terms of cycle life & not convenience,  less discharge = more cycles.

Fwiw, With  the lithium you get 100% discharge of available 12volt power vs less than 80% or so of available energy in the sla's and even then, the voltage in the sla just fades down until there's not enough juice to power the sonar unit and it shuts off.

When you deeply discharge an sla it's cycle life is drastically affected

When you deeply discharge a lithium it's cycle life is only slightly affected.

I agree with your past comment about sla's being cost effective, depends on how you look at it though.

Best......

It's Jeff. Thanks for running the test Bill. For 3 years old that's not bad at all to be at 12.6 volts.

2 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I already know how long it will last for fishing trips. That's not even the question. We were looking at Multimeter numbers on seeing why the Nocqua is not holding the charge for me. Bill Z already answered my concerns.

Do you have a multi-meter to run a test and see what you get?

I have to get a new one... mine is "effed up". It was given to me years ago by my uncle. He was one of the Grumman techs who worked on Apollo 13 when they were trying to land it. Anyway, this thing may be as old as that and is not giving me readings that I can trust anymore.

1 min ago, EricJ said:

I have to get a new one... mine is "effed up". It was given to me years ago by my uncle. He was one of the Grumman techs who worked on Apollo 13 when they were trying to land it. Anyway, this thing may be as old as that and is not giving me readings that I can trust anymore.

Call Nocqua and see if you can get a new one...lol