The Riddler

NocQua Battery

46 posts in this topic

I have the 2A plug in charger , came with the 10amp battery. Took 4 hours to charge a battery new out of the box.  They must ship it not charged or low I guess. 

Has anyone with this battery upgrade to a charger for Faster charge time?  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Did the battery come with a data sheet that lists max charge current? I believe 2-3 hours is the norm. 70% charge is reach quickly and then the saturation charge takes longer. You should not trickle charge lithium.

just checked their site, ships with “some” charge 

Edited by G8trwood
Additional

I found a charger that will do 3.0 amp it's 40 bucks and then I need to order a connector for the Nocqua for only a slightly faster charge time. I don't think it's worth it. I'm just better off buying another Nocqua battery. It's the way I did it with SLA's always had one ready to go. After every second trip I would swap out for a freshy. After 2-3 seasons I would have to replace one. What sucks now is the cost. 260 bucks for two batteries as oppose to two SLA's. for 100 bucks or a little less that may see 2-3 seasons or so.

Hopefully I get 1000 cycles out of the Nocqua's to make it all worth it.

Edited by The Riddler

I am finding it odd that you take it off the wall charger after the green light goes on let it sit overnight night in a heated room. Plug it back in to see what the charger does and the red light goes back on and charges it again for an un timed period. As a matter of fact I have it in the yak outside waiting for the next winter trip. I will take it in and plug it in and see how long it takes to charge. I will also take a reading on voltage too.

Edited by The Riddler

After letting it sit outside in the yak for 48 hours I have 12.7 volts. That’s acceptable. I have it plugged in at 2:44 and will see how long it takes to charge and what volts it will have after charging.

E6290D33-8A86-4780-A575-87E69CF1B6CF.jpeg

It seemed to take a few cycles for my Nocqua to fully charge and hold it, similar to new 18650 batteries in my vape units. The 4.4AH is overpowered for my 4" lowrance lol

Just for reference here is a 2 year old 12volt 10amp SLA that has been off the charger for 1 week. 12.9 volts. 

FCF85911-EA9A-4ADD-8613-DA0614ACCBDD.jpeg

I just got off the phone with Nocqua. I asked questions about the battery and did not get any technical information about how many volts it should have after charging etc. I told them what I noticed and they offered to take the battery back and are sending a return authorization.

The charger went back on the battery for 38 minutes and the green light came on indicating fully charged. Put the meter on it and it still reads 12.7. Plug the charger back on it at 3:38 and the red light comes backs on. It must be normal for this charger to do this with a lithium battery.

B76C566C-1C4B-4E36-9614-6237E3ED337B.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

It stayed on the charger for 5 minutes and went to green light. That tells me this battery is not holding a charge. What happens if you let your kayak sit for a week? Maybe this is the way lithium batteries are?  I don't know. I will take their offer of a new battery and run tests again. There is a chance this battery came from Austin Canoe and Kayaks old stock.  Could be.

Edited by The Riddler

Let it run through a few cycles, and see what happens. I know next to nothing about batteries, but from cell phone to gopro to E cig lithiums, they all seem to want a break in period. 

Riddler;

Here's mine, it's been sitting since the end of October,/ 1st week of Nov (approx) charged it before i put it away....

I just put it back on the charger,  i'll let you know the time it takes to green light on.

Stay tuned....

20190111_204424.jpg.acff29eac4af6067dbe9ae104e5a5cea.jpg