BrianBM

Aftermarket car alarms

12 posts in this topic

This is a spinoff from the thread on rod and reel security.

Are there, on the market, any aftermarket alarm systems that are worth a damn?

Suppose my truck is attacked at night by someone with a jimmy, who doesn't mind breaking glass to get in. The sound of the alarm will get my attention, if I hear it. But then what? I'd really like a glass break that would trigger a blindingly intense light, the sort of thing that leaves you ... well, blind, if it's night and you're looking into the illuminated space.  

Other ideas?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Can't help tyou with a model.  Just a little fact I want to pass.

The #1 cause of a car not starting in my years of mechanic experience is car alarms.  This is from 1997 to 2005 era before I switched careers.  Worked mostly on german imports, so almost all had aftermarket alarms.  Many times I wiggled a wire on a alarm system to drive it in the shop from the tow truck.

If you get it, find out what they do to stop the car from running or starting.  Interupting the starter solenoid circuit, interupting fuel injector power, or disabling the fuel pump from running are common ways.   You might need to circumvent this issue on the surf.  

There are generic kits and vehicle specific plug in ones.  IF generic is used, make sure you inspect the work if someone else puts it in.

IF you own a turbocharged vehicle.  Some alarm/remote start combos also have turbo cool down timers.  It allows the engine to run for a minute or two while coolant and oil flow through the turbo to cool it down.  Makes a difference in the life, quality, and oil consumption of a turbo.

Edited by salt deficient

Do you have a disco ball inside your car that's activated by the car alarm?   The perp is not going to anywhere near your flashing headlight. 

There are mainly two kind of people who break into cars. Professional and crackheads that's looking for pocket change in center console.  In both cases, alarm don't do didly squad to them.  I have seen pros in surveillance video when a neighbors car got stolen, as they say gone in 60 seconds. Or less. They don't steal cars now, only nice rims, they are faster than a nascar pit crew without even triggering the alarm. The crackheads, they don't care either way. 

If your alarm gone off in the middle of the night for a long period of time, it will definitely pissed off the whole neighborhood or worst scenario,  a broken window because of the annoying alarm. Of course, I live in the city, it might be different in your neighborhood.   As they say out of sight, out of mind works 99% of the time. 

I was thinking more in terms of the beach.  If I'm a hundred yards or so, from the truck. And it's not really the vehicle I worry about, it's somebody getting inside to steal tackle. 

A Disco ball that's activated by glass breaking wouldn't be a bad idea. 

You probably don't hear the alarm go off with the wind and wave of the surf. Let said you hear it, what then. The thief has a 100+ yards head start, on pavement. I vote for a black mamba in the car, just be careful when you park your keister.  :laugh:  

what they do now is show up with a computer from another car like yours pop the hood and replace it . the new computer is programmed to their key fobs. bye bye car. noisy alarms might deter crackheads from getting the change out of your console but if they want your car they get it.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:27 AM, Tbta02 said:

what they do now is show up with a computer from another car like yours pop the hood and replace it . the new computer is programmed to their key fobs. bye bye car. noisy alarms might deter crackheads from getting the change out of your console but if they want your car they get it.

in my neighborhood, stupid rich a-hole sometimes leave their cars in their driveways with the key fobs in theirs cars out of convince (one less thing to carry around or lose), car thieves drive around with scanners that can tell if the fob is in the car, if so the car is gone, usually parked in Newark or JC for a few days to see if there is a tracking device, dont want LE finding the motherload that's about get shipped overseas

5 hours ago, ferret said:

in my neighborhood, stupid rich a-hole sometimes leave their cars in their driveways with the key fobs in theirs cars out of convince (one less thing to carry around or lose), car thieves drive around with scanners that can tell if the fob is in the car, if so the car is gone, usually parked in Newark or JC for a few days to see if there is a tracking device, dont want LE finding the motherload that's about get shipped overseas

now that's professional

Edited by jimmythe bee