Bobby bucktails

sealed reels

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

hey guys ive been fishing a orvis clearwater but im looking for a reasonably priced sealed reel possibly with multiple spools for the beach bc the sand has been a problem. Any recommendations? whats up with the lamsons? says they are sealed and they are priced well 

Lamson is only arguably sealed when the spool is on. Once you remove it you directly expose the anti reverse bearing to everything on the beach. So don't even think of swapping spools on the beach or you'll be inviting corrosion. 

That's my experience. There's some other options too. What is your budget?

1 hour ago, RedGreen said:

Lamson is only arguably sealed when the spool is on. Once you remove it you directly expose the anti reverse bearing to everything on the beach. So don't even think of swapping spools on the beach or you'll be inviting corrosion. 

That's my experience. There's some other options too. What is your budget?

thanks for the response, im not opposed to spending good money on gear if its necessary but i guess im looking for a reel thats sealed and that is qaulity but isnt 500$. maybe 350$ or less. would rather be around the 200-300$ range. 

Van Staal, 3-Tand T series ( not TF) and Colton Terrapin. All three have track records. Not sure about Hydros from Orvis, Litespeed, Guru etc from Lamson and other calling themselves sealed. They are great reels though.Sealed in the minds of SW surf guys is very different than FW. 

There are a few threads about two handed and spey from the surf. A number of those guys are hard core and could probably offer some good advice.

I'm one of those people, my lamson was bought with the purpose of being used on a two handed rod fishing from the surf. 

To see my full thoughts on lamsons and how sealed they are, Google lamson liquid 4 report, or use the search function. I posted the thread a while ago to document my experiences with the liquid in the surf. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Bobby bucktails said:

thanks for the response, im not opposed to spending good money on gear if its necessary but i guess im looking for a reel thats sealed and that is qaulity but isnt 500$. maybe 350$ or less. would rather be around the 200-300$ range. 

RedGreen probably has a lot of experience that I don't have.  But I do have a bunch of Lamson Litespeeds, have been using them exclusively for the last 15 years or so, changing spools standing in the water, holding them underwater for minutes at a time (while mounted on rods), etc and haven't seen any corrosion. I have had a few malfunction - and maybe because of the abuse - but one thing about Lamson is that if you send a reel back to them they will fix it for a fee (which includes return shipping) of $25 and they turn them around within a few weeks.   Twice I have sent them a batch of reels (all for a total of $25) so they can go over them and replace anything that they think might be "worn" (not that there are a lot of parts...) and "tune" them. So while they're nowhere as smooth or sophisticated as a lot of the expensive stuff, I go on using them.  Another thing that drew me to them that is now changed is that all of the "versions" over a long period of time, from the first right through IV (tho Lamson claims otherwise for the IV's) are interchangeable.

I would do a Web search: periodically they come out with a new model which means the previous model is sold off for under $300 (for the largest, size 4).  I've bought several that way but much of what I have I bought used: there is no downside to doing so.

Edited by GregPavlov

GregPavlov that is very interesting. To be concise I am talking corrosion of internal parts, I noticed none on the exterior surfaces, even after basically scraping all the finish off of the bottom of the reel from banging it around on rocks and jetties. All my corrosion was on the anti reverse bearing and other crucial internal parts. 

To be fair my reel was their least expensive offering, so perhaps the more expensive reels feature better materials in the internal components?

Sorry if I'm getting off topic for the OP, I'll refrain from this particular point of discussion after this final post on it. 

Most sealed reels use O-rings for shaft seals. That is absolutely fine - until you start rotating the reel. O-ring is not a good seal for that. There are of course better and worse cases (material, dimensions, amount of compression, slide velocity etc). Basically I do not trust these really that much. Lamson/Waterworks has had their problems with IAR bearings since they did not use stainless and water did (and does) get in. I was surprised that even my Sage 8010pro has only O-ring on the shaft to seal it. My Ross Evolution R Salt has some kind of PTFE/Delrin/whatever plastic against stainless steel (basically a mechanical seal type). I am unsure how well that will hold.

Danielsson reels have better (lip type) shaft seal. They are great value for money. I don't think I would use pretty much anything else than Danielssons should they have a bit narrower spool design - I hate wide spools.

6 hours ago, sms said:

Most sealed reels use O-rings for shaft seals. That is absolutely fine - until you start rotating the reel. O-ring is not a good seal for that. There are of course better and worse cases (material, dimensions, amount of compression, slide velocity etc). Basically I do not trust these really that much. Lamson/Waterworks has had their problems with IAR bearings since they did not use stainless and water did (and does) get in. I was surprised that even my Sage 8010pro has only O-ring on the shaft to seal it. My Ross Evolution R Salt has some kind of PTFE/Delrin/whatever plastic against stainless steel (basically a mechanical seal type). I am unsure how well that will hold.

Danielsson reels have better (lip type) shaft seal. They are great value for money. I don't think I would use pretty much anything else than Danielssons should they have a bit narrower spool design - I hate wide spools.

ok cool im looking at danielsons for sure. there are a bunch or models any in particular i should be checking out?

24 mins ago, Bobby bucktails said:

ok cool im looking at danielsons for sure. there are a bunch or models any in particular i should be checking out?

What are the things you want most in this reel you're searching for? Weight, size, capacity, etc those sorts of things