Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZATsol

Spring stripers in NJ Long Beach Island?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I’m thinking to spend long weekend (will take Friday, Monday off) in Long Beach Island NJ at the end of March, beginning of April.

So, my question is when will be a prime time for spring stripers in that area? Is the end of March too early? I can push it into April if it will be better. I prefer DIY from shore.

Also, where to stay and where to go fish? North side toward to Barnegat Light or south toward to Beach Haven? I’m not familiar with the area. So, any information will be helpful.

I will pack my waders and fly-fishing rod into the car. But I do not want to drive far from the hotel.

Are there any special regulations I need to consider? I know I will have to do NJ saltwater registry. Anything else?

Please PM me if you prefer.

Thanks a lot, in advance!

Water temps of 55 deg F and above are what you're looking for there,so probably around mid-April(although fish will show earlier if temps allow) and into May.March will probably be winter flounder.... at best.

N end on the outgoing,otherwise, around in back from the sod banks.Poppers,clousers and deceivers.

Yeah mid April is generally when I start fishing, March may be too early.  I mostly fish the north end of LBI, but that time of year, I'd focus on the sod banks and spots out back where the water will warm quicker.  You might find some small bass along the jetty though.  There are some sod banks I fish toward the north end of the island, but the walk out there can suck.  You're welcome to PM me when it gets closer, but I don't know a ton of back bay spots in LBI. 

Agree with out back

Just pop open google earth or your favorite online map with satellite view and note the sod banks. As long as there is access they are places to look at 

Also do not discount end of streets bayside. That early in spring you wont draw attention. Just look for any areas that appear to have structure to provide current like in close sod islands or emptying lagoons. 

Thank you for all good info!

I guess I will do couple things:

1.      I will push my trip to middle or end of April.

2.      I need to research what is “sod bank” and more important where to access it on foot.

PSUFly, I will send you PM in the next couple of days.

Thanks again!