mightyrime

Crocodile Bay Costa Rica...anyone been?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Didn't stay at Croc Bay, but stayed in the area twice (walking distance to Croc bay).  Fishing was great both times and we did see some surfers at Matapalo, the first trip.  Decent waves when we visited that beach.

1 hour ago, Fflyakk said:

As stated earlier, if you want to spend less then staying at the all inclusive route, you can get more bang for your buck. You can pick my brain if you like. 

will send you PM for sure!

5 hours ago, Fflyakk said:

As stated earlier, if you want to spend less then staying at the all inclusive route, you can get more bang for your buck. You can pick my brain if you like. 

I agree!  My wife and I stayed in Puerto Jimenez twice.  We spent a few days in Drake Bay on the second trip.  If I can provide any info, give a holler.

14 hours ago, mightyrime said:

will send you PM for sure!

I'll be fishing/flyfishing in Bahia Drake for 2 weeks at the end of March...My third time there...Will give you an update when I get back...

Cheers

49 mins ago, rwilhelm said:

For those that have been to CR do you rent a car?  

Yes.  Mapache is good.

Which ever company you go with print out what you have paid and any coverage from you credit card that you might have.  If you don’t, you’ll pay extra at the counter even if you are paid in full.

Renting a car is a bait and switch here. You get a quote for 20 dollars a day and end up paying alot more. The insurance will cost you more then the rental itself and even then the insurance has different levels and some companies will not cover you for certain Conditions. If you dont need the car for the time you are here, check into alternatives. 

Some of the companies will give you a waiver on some of upfront insurance if your credit car company will cover the inscurance. Some do. Some Don't.

But what thd rental card  company will put a 2500 dollar hold on your credit card while you rent the car. 

Make sure you have enough of s line of credit to cover that.

Another reason to not renth a car, imho, is alot of the roads in CR to the more remote fishing areas plan suck. Ive driven on some of the best roads and driven on some which looked like they were carpet bombed. And all Ticos and Gringos drive fast. It is also very easy to get lost. Waze is the kkng here but then you have to either get a plan outside of the US or sim card with a burner number.  Whatsapp is is the primary system to communicate but if you have wifi, you wont need a phone. My wife has a  Tico phone number and  I just use wifi. Youll find almost every place has wifi even when you cant get a signal. Any other questions be happy to help.