mightyrime

Crocodile Bay Costa Rica...anyone been?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

On 1/8/2019 at 3:46 PM, mightyrime said:

We are looking at this resort for Dec. 2019.  Family trip.  Seems like it has it all.  Fishing, surfing, diving, eco nature tours, animal sanctuary,  good pool.

 

anyone here been and have good or bad things to say?  Taking wife and 5 year old.

I went a few years ago - i would't go back if it was free.  Two boat breakdowns, green water, ran out of bait inshore fishing, broken tackle.  PM if you want more details.  NO surfing close by, its an excursion. I travel to fish a lot and it was undoubtably my worst trip.  It would have been a garbage trip if the fishing was great.

 

If you want a family vacation that isn't solely of focused on fishing don't go to a fishing lodge. 95% of the guests are groups of guys that want to fish and drink beer. All that said the Osa peninsula is amazing.  The oversized gringo feel of CB turns me off, totally insulated from any local experience.  If it has to be the fishing lodge or the Osa peninsula, spend the money and go to Zancudo.

 

If you want a good family trip to CR consider Nosara.  Good fishing, great surfing and million other things to do. Easy to get to from the Northeast. Olas Verde is a great place to stay and fish with any of the Mora brothers in Garza.  Cost you half of what CB will cost and have twice as good trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, Cpalms said:

I went a few years ago - i would't go back if it was free.  Two boat breakdowns, green water, ran out of bait inshore fishing, broken tackle.  PM if you want more details.  NO surfing close by, its an excursion. I travel to fish a lot and it was undoubtably my worst trip.  It would have been a garbage trip if the fishing was great.

 

If you want a family vacation that isn't solely of focused on fishing don't go to a fishing lodge. 95% of the guests are groups of guys that want to fish and drink beer. All that said the Osa peninsula is amazing.  The oversized gringo feel of CB turns me off, totally insulated from any local experience.  If it has to be the fishing lodge or the Osa peninsula, spend the money and go to Zancudo.

 

If you want a good family trip to CR consider Nosara.  Good fishing, great surfing and million other things to do. Easy to get to from the Northeast. Olas Verde is a great place to stay and fish with any of the Mora brothers in Garza.  Cost you half of what CB will cost and have twice as good trip.

wow...

 

i will send you a pm for sure

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, mightyrime said:
40 mins ago, mightyrime said:

that place looks really nice.  Is it child family focused at all?  or is it hardcore fishing lodge

Both times I have been, has been a guys trip.  We rented the whole lodge and had 30 of us there.  With that said, it was still a family environment.  

There is a large beach and a nice pool. Greg & Goldine run a really nice place and will definitely schedule stuff for you to do as a family.  Greg would be able to answer all your questions and my guess would be happy to speak with you.

As far as surfing, the bartender whose name I can’t remember surfs and I have seen him offer to take people.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 3:46 PM, mightyrime said:

We are looking at this resort for Dec. 2019.  Family trip.  Seems like it has it all.  Fishing, surfing, diving, eco nature tours, animal sanctuary,  good pool.

 

anyone here been and have good or bad things to say?  Taking wife and 5 year old.

father friend i think stayed there, they broke the day record for sails at the lodge something like 47

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of BS on that Board.  My Uncle and I went with a Captain and the next day on the big Board it said we caught 3 Sailfish and Raised 7 others.  All that was BS, we raised 3 for about 5 seconds each, none were ever on the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Try to get down to piro beach..... the breakers down there are 8ft plus.... might be tough to get to unless you know some locals.... plus its rooster heaven down there

Edited by Fishy4335

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, mike3dr said:

A lot of BS on that Board.  My Uncle and I went with a Captain and the next day on the big Board it said we caught 3 Sailfish and Raised 7 others.  All that was BS, we raised 3 for about 5 seconds each, none were ever on the line.

Sounds about right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mightyrime said:

probably planning 7-9 days.  We would like to stay in one area and do day trips as this is much easier with a 5 year old wild child.

Keep in mind, you will kill a day in transit, flying, to Costa Rica and back. Then you will kill a day in transit to and from Crocodile Lodge. You can drive or fly to Porto Jimenez.

Getting from point A to B can be a logistical nightmare. Just keep that in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 mins ago, Fflyakk said:

Keep in mind, you will kill a day in transit, flying, to Costa Rica and back. Then you will kill a day in transit to and from Crocodile Lodge. You can drive or fly to Porto Jimenez.

Getting from point A to B can be a logistical nightmare. Just keep that in mind.

That’s not always true.  Both times I’ve been down, we arranged to fly into San Jose by 1pm and then had an afternoon flight to the coast.  Same on the way home.  Early flight from the coast to San Jose and then flights back to NYC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BGBrown said:

That’s not always true.  Both times I’ve been down, we arranged to fly into San Jose by 1pm and then had an afternoon flight to the coast.  Same on the way home.  Early flight from the coast to San Jose and then flights back to NYC.

To and from NYC no is overnight necessary....west coast, you are going to overnight to and from.  The Hilton next to the airport in SJ is plenty nice and as easy as can be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BGBrown said:

That’s not always true.  Both times I’ve been down, we arranged to fly into San Jose by 1pm and then had an afternoon flight to the coast.  Same on the way home.  Early flight from the coast to San Jose and then flights back to NYC.

If you can arrange a flight on Sansa from San Jose to Porte Jimenez, yes. All in a day. When you live in Costa Rica, you prepare for the worse and accept it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, Fflyakk said:

If you can arrange a flight on Sansa from San Jose to Porte Jimenez, yes. All in a day. When you live in Costa Rica, you prepare for the worse and accept it. 

 

Where do you live?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As stated earlier, if you want to spend less then staying at the all inclusive route, you can get more bang for your buck. You can pick my brain if you like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.