mightyrime

Crocodile Bay Costa Rica...anyone been?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

We are looking at this resort for Dec. 2019.  Family trip.  Seems like it has it all.  Fishing, surfing, diving, eco nature tours, animal sanctuary,  good pool.

anyone here been and have good or bad things to say?  Taking wife and 5 year old.

Edited by mightyrime

Took my family to Crocodile Bay in December 2012 and it was GREAT.  My kids were 13 and 11 at the time.  Fishing (inshore and offshore) was amazing, eco tours were fun and the resort, food, service, etc were all excellent.  Honestly I can't think of any negatives.  

I've been, great trip, went with my uncle, small pool back then though, fishing was great, as well as eco tours, but I did not bring the family. 

Have you talked to them about surfing that area?  I know across the bay at Pavones it works on a big swell.  I mean, it really works, but it does need a good south swell.

I stayed in Pavones for three weeks one summer and a local fisherman would take us across the bay, to the resort side, so we could surf the rights (called Pan Dulce I think).

December is there north swell season so it’s someth to consider.  But, also, who cares, you are either fishing, at the pool, adventuring in the jungle, or surfing.  Sounds awesome.

I have stayed across the bay at Zancudo Lodge several times.  The inshore fishing for Roosters and Cuberas and Jacks was amazing.  One year we had incredible Blue Marlin fishing at the FADS while the Sailfish bite wasn’t the best, the other year it was the opposite.  Amazing country, friendly people and a fantastic fishery.

edited to add: We also had tuna on top within sight of land several times during our trip.  

Edited by BGBrown

I live in Costa Rica. Fishing is unlimited. Inshore or offshore in that area. Some of the best fishing in Costa Rica. As far as surfing goes, Pavones would not be one of your best bets. Its as ferry ride and then some to get there unless you can get a water taxi to Pavones. You will find areas closer to where you are staying. Eco tours, there are plenty. Corcovada National Park is pretty close. How long are you down for?

Been there many years ago --inshore fishing was excellent --eco was assume as well 

the only draw back was the flights form San Jose --be sure to look at connecting flight in country.  Most have a weight limit --which is better now than when I went.  When we went it was 25 pounds per person --think now it is 40???

Believe it or not there is trout fishing in Costa Rica. In the mountains. I've fished for Machaca in the rivers up north and they have tarpon that swim way upstream into fresh water. Machaca are really aggressive top feeders and great fishing with a popper on a fly rod. I fished with a really interesting fellow there named Peter Gorinksy, who pioneered fly fishing in Costa Rica.

I believe Crocodile is a bit south of where we were...I fished the North down to Central Coast...there are so many great boats and captains many of which are ex pats from Australia and the US it is not hard to book trips on your own instead of a fishing resort.  That being said I have heard nothing but good things about Crocodile.   We stayed at Hotel Punta Islita when in Guanacaste...then Si Como No in the central coast when we fished there.   We surf fished on the black sand beaches in the North by ourselves..was sick...every other cast was a snapper or something with giant teeth...cut off all of my terminal tackle by day 3. 

I was at CC bay resort a few years ago..... great place..... reduculiusly expensive but aside from the price it was my wife and I favorite vacation and we've been all over the world..... the fishing is lights out there.... inshore roosterfishing and cobra snapper fishing Nd off shore marlin/ sailfish and tuna fishing..... if I were to go back I would go to the south side of the osa peninsula and surfcast the beaches there since we caught dozens of roosters 70 yards from shoreline

The eco tours are phenomenal..... the pool is great as well! Great place very remote..... cool thing about it is that whatever you catch becomes the resorts fish and they cook it for you however you want it!!! I was eating seared tuna and snapper every night!!!

Edited by Fishy4335

On 1/9/2019 at 2:26 PM, BrokeOff said:

Have you talked to them about surfing that area?  I know across the bay at Pavones it works on a big swell.  I mean, it really works, but it does need a good south swell.

I stayed in Pavones for three weeks one summer and a local fisherman would take us across the bay, to the resort side, so we could surf the rights (called Pan Dulce I think).

December is there north swell season so it’s someth to consider.  But, also, who cares, you are either fishing, at the pool, adventuring in the jungle, or surfing.  Sounds awesome.

I talked to 2 people and got 2 different stories.  One said Pavones is always surfable in some form, but yes I would need to charter a boat across the bay to surf there which would get pricey.  This same person said there is zero surf on the osa peninsula side, but i know that is not true,  i think it is generally smaller and finicky.  I am good with small if it has a nice shape.

Yellowdog said they fished that beach and did well and saw surfers everyday there, but could not comment on the quality and said they would ask more about it.

With the north swell i assume i need to make sure the beach is somewhat facing that direction.

On 1/9/2019 at 9:08 PM, BGBrown said:

I have stayed across the bay at Zancudo Lodge several times.  The inshore fishing for Roosters and Cuberas and Jacks was amazing.  One year we had incredible Blue Marlin fishing at the FADS while the Sailfish bite wasn’t the best, the other year it was the opposite.  Amazing country, friendly people and a fantastic fishery.

edited to add: We also had tuna on top within sight of land several times during our trip.  

that place looks really nice.  Is it child family focused at all?  or is it hardcore fishing lodge

On 1/9/2019 at 11:20 PM, Fflyakk said:

I live in Costa Rica. Fishing is unlimited. Inshore or offshore in that area. Some of the best fishing in Costa Rica. As far as surfing goes, Pavones would not be one of your best bets. Its as ferry ride and then some to get there unless you can get a water taxi to Pavones. You will find areas closer to where you are staying. Eco tours, there are plenty. Corcovada National Park is pretty close. How long are you down for?

probably planning 7-9 days.  We would like to stay in one area and do day trips as this is much easier with a 5 year old wild child.