Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tristate

FishVerify app

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I just checked the FishVerify Florida Edition and it says Redfish are closed with no open season in Florida.  I checked with my buddy in Florida and he didn’t know. Is this true?

Posted (edited) · Report post

This is directly from the fwc website.

"RED TIDE UPDATE

Snook and redfish are catch-and-release only in areas affected by red tide through May 10, 2019. This includes all state waters from the Pasco/Hernando county line south through Gordon Pass in Collier County, including all waters in Hillsborough County. "

https://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/red-drum/

It gives a map of the catch and release zones

Edited by mwhitt80

TriState, reguardless of closed season or not given what has happened and still happening to wildlife I personally won’t eat anything from the areas that involved with the red tide or algae. I spoke to a FWC officer yesterday and he indicated it’s still not good out there. It wasn’t nothing but a few weeks ago, Dolphins and birds came up dead and FWC reported they were from red tide. 

Right now pictures are the best form of keep. 

Thanks guys. We will spend the winter in Melbourne Beach. The whole thing sucks. The last two years we had problems with algae blooms in our area. The shame is it’s avoidable and we’re all to blame to some extent. Looks like we can keep but shouldn’t eat. 

On January 8, 2019 at 0:45 PM, tristate said:

I just checked the FishVerify Florida Edition and it says Redfish are closed with no open season in Florida.  I checked with my buddy in Florida and he didn’t know. Is this true?

Yeah it's true. I went on a guided trip and caught one. Had to toss it back.