evan1

I just wrote my representatives...

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

51 mins ago, evan1 said:

sure thats a factor, but I seriously doubt the impact is anywhere near the impact of overfishing. 

Not quite true my friend, fish stocks rebound fairly quickly compared to the environment and habitat loss.  Lets look out of our windows this weekend, the state DOT will start "pre-treating" the state highways several hours before the first snowflake falls  WHY??????????????? their reasoning is so the snow doesn't freeze to the road surface duhhhhhh  Within five minutes of the first flake you will see, on a two lane road mind you, 2 ten wheel trucks with spreader bodies, 11' plows and another 110 or 11' wing plow and as the plow they will be spreading more de-icing chemicals salt and liquid (magnizium).!!!!  Now I must ask you, how much of this type of polloution can our planet take???????

1 min ago, b-ware said:

Not quite true my friend, fish stocks rebound fairly quickly compared to the environment and habitat loss.  Lets look out of our windows this weekend, the state DOT will start "pre-treating" the state highways several hours before the first snowflake falls  WHY??????????????? their reasoning is so the snow doesn't freeze to the road surface duhhhhhh  Within five minutes of the first flake you will see, on a two lane road mind you, 2 ten wheel trucks with spreader bodies, 11' plows and another 110 or 11' wing plow and as the plow they will be spreading more de-icing chemicals salt and liquid (magnizium).!!!!  Now I must ask you, how much of this type of polloution can our planet take???????

I'm not one to doubt the impacts of humans on our climate/ nature, but I dont think de icing chemicals hurt fish stocks as quickly or are as damaging as the amount of overfishing that goes on. Sure its a factor, but it will probably be a while longer until we can point towards one small factor such as that as affecting fish stocks, especially striped bass. Overfishing is an immediate issue that could literally be changed with legislation

13 mins ago, evan1 said:

I'm not one to doubt the impacts of humans on our climate/ nature, but I dont think de icing chemicals hurt fish stocks as quickly or are as damaging as the amount of overfishing that goes on. Sure its a factor, but it will probably be a while longer until we can point towards one small factor such as that as affecting fish stocks, especially striped bass. Overfishing is an immediate issue that could literally be changed with legislation

Don't focus on just I species of fish, look at the whole ecosystem...……….De-icing chemicals definitely hurt the environment, why don't stripers breed and hatch out in the Conn. River?????  Maybe Rt. 91 running parallel to it for most of its lengh with it's de-icing chemicals running into the river...……..

3 mins ago, b-ware said:

Don't focus on just I species of fish, look at the whole ecosystem...……….De-icing chemicals definitely hurt the environment, why don't stripers breed and hatch out in the Conn. River?????  Maybe Rt. 91 running parallel to it for most of its lengh with it's de-icing chemicals running into the river...……..

well this thread was specifically about striped bass. There are plenty of other places to talk about climate change/human impact on nature as a whole. 

2 hours ago, evan1 said:

sure thats a factor, but I seriously doubt the impact is anywhere near the impact of overfishing. 

No, but one is feeding people, rec or comm and the other is largely 50% avoidable.

4 hours ago, evan1 said:

well this thread was specifically about striped bass. There are plenty of other places to talk about climate change/human impact on nature as a whole. 

What makes you think the bass stocks are overfished?

9 hours ago, b-ware said:

They started pretreating the roads with the liquid ice melt on Thursday morning. It was a beautiful sunny day. My truck was completely covered in salt by the time I got to work. WTF. 

11 hours ago, z-man said:

They started pretreating the roads with the liquid ice melt on Thursday morning. It was a beautiful sunny day. My truck was completely covered in salt by the time I got to work. WTF. 

No concern...………...after all it is harmless according to the internet (and the politicians)…………...

Salt is just easiest and cheapest response. Rt 9 last night was worse than not treating. The road had a layer of mass slime under two inches of snow. It would be easier to drive on if the snow was adhered to the road surface. 

I can see putting salt on ramps but you have to remove snow first.

On 1/8/2019 at 0:59 PM, pogie_boy said:

I think that's a capital idea.  What change happens to effect a healthier stock isn't the point, it's is in raising our voices to the right ears.

I think that,  if  for every post made on SOL arguing about the bass stocks, C&R, Commercial Bass fishing, spot burning and the canal, we also sent an email to our elected representatives expressing such concern, I think they would have no choice but to do something.

You would think, right ? 

I've spent a LOT of energy dealing with the government over the years, mainly on access issues but the principle is the same

They don't give a rats hairy arse what you say or even how many of you say it if it flies in the face of what their big donors want. 

I got quite a bit accomplished here in Jersey regaining access to areas that had been closed off - except in the towns where the big donors had their mansions on the beach. It took lawyers and the threat of legal action (which costs money) to gain traction there.

When it comes to the bass stocks it's rec fishermen against the comms - who's making the big political donations there? 

We need to find a way to raise money to buy the politicians the same way that the commercials have. If not we're no more than Sisyphus.

A little bit of an update for those interested in the nitty gritty - MA state Rep. Thomas Stanley (9th Middlesex) has introduced three bills regarding striped bass this session. 

1. H.D. 198: An Act relative to the conservation of striped bass

2. H.D. 199: An Act relative to the conservation of Atlantic striped bass

3. H.D. 201: Resolve protecting the legal harvest of striped bass 

I don't believe full text of these bills is available yet, but its something to follow!