evan1

I just wrote my representatives...

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

About my concern over the health of the striped bass population. I wrote my state rep, state senator, and congressman Moulton. I don't want to get in any arguments on here about the issue, merely to encourage others who are concerned to do the same thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, fishn333 said:

And what are you trying to change ? 

Well honestly it was more a general message to let them know that its an issue I was thinking about, and that they should look out for. Based on another thread on this site the new stock report will be coming out soon so I mentioned that. I also had thoughts on regulations and commercial fishing, but I know a lot of people on here will disagree with me so I'd rather not share. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that's a capital idea.  What change happens to effect a healthier stock isn't the point, it's is in raising our voices to the right ears.

 

I think that,  if  for every post made on SOL arguing about the bass stocks, C&R, Commercial Bass fishing, spot burning and the canal, we also sent an email to our elected representatives expressing such concern, I think they would have no choice but to do something.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pogie_boy said:

I think that's a capital idea.  What change happens to effect a healthier stock isn't the point, it's is in raising our voices to the right ears.

 

I think that,  if  for every post made on SOL arguing about the bass stocks, C&R, Commercial Bass fishing, spot burning and the canal, we also sent an email to our elected representatives expressing such concern, I think they would have no choice but to do something.

 

 

agree! I also know for a fact that state representatives WILL hear about these emails we send. State senators too. Getting a response from congressmen is more difficult but it cant hurt. copy and paste :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, unless you state representative is the ASMFC's legislative commissioner, there is much they can do about your concerns, one way or another. They literally have no input into the decisions if the ASMFC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Unfortunately, unless you state representative is the ASMFC's legislative commissioner, there is much they can do about your concerns, one way or another. They literally have no input into the decisions if the ASMFC.

Ya know, I was thinking of that myself. But then I was also thinking that the whole system is so skewed by the lobbying efforts by the commercial sector that the management people are bending to the will of the commercials by the use of political pressure. If enough of "us voters/recreational fishermen" called enough of "our so called representatives" and told them "we want them to use their influence to sway things in our favor" and then remind them that we are watching and we will take what they do/don't do in consideration next time we vote...….

 

Surely it is not by accident that draggers can literally wipe out species after species and yet the management people continue to bend over backwards to "give them something to work on"? Surely it can't be true that when haul seining was banned in NY and the haul seiners came up with "haul seining with a gill net" and they called it gill netting and the enforcement people agreed with them, surely that can't be because the management people were doing their jobs without some sort of political influence???

 

And what about the 25-30 gill net boats that converged this past fall in the area from Montauk to Shinnicock that had set a wall of gill net every few hundred yards  from the beach to a thousand feet out for 50 miles? How many bass could have lived through that? Yet the NY DEC told it's own officers to "stand down" when it came to enforcing the illegality of the boats filling thousands of tags without the tag holders aboard as is required by law. How could it be? The commercial lobby convinced the politicians and the politicians convinced the DEC "higher ups" to tell the officers to look the other way. Say its "political pressure" or "outright corruption". You pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a sad state of affairs for sure Jason as we continue the same practice along our coast line each year take more and more closer to shore and in areas they would normally avoid . The pressure is on the fish and it is as has been shown long term a losing battle for what ever fish they are putting in the nets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good move, Evan1.   Many U.S. reps didn't know or care about net neutrality until their email boxes were flooded by angry constituents.   In public affairs, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jason colby said:

Ya know, I was thinking of that myself. But then I was also thinking that the whole system is so skewed by the lobbying efforts by the commercial sector that the management people are bending to the will of the commercials by the use of political pressure. If enough of "us voters/recreational fishermen" called enough of "our so called representatives" and told them "we want them to use their influence to sway things in our favor" and then remind them that we are watching and we will take what they do/don't do in consideration next time we vote...….

 

Surely it is not by accident that draggers can literally wipe out species after species and yet the management people continue to bend over backwards to "give them something to work on"? Surely it can't be true that when haul seining was banned in NY and the haul seiners came up with "haul seining with a gill net" and they called it gill netting and the enforcement people agreed with them, surely that can't be because the management people were doing their jobs without some sort of political influence???

 

And what about the 25-30 gill net boats that converged this past fall in the area from Montauk to Shinnicock that had set a wall of gill net every few hundred yards  from the beach to a thousand feet out for 50 miles? How many bass could have lived through that? Yet the NY DEC told it's own officers to "stand down" when it came to enforcing the illegality of the boats filling thousands of tags without the tag holders aboard as is required by law. How could it be? The commercial lobby convinced the politicians and the politicians convinced the DEC "higher ups" to tell the officers to look the other way. Say its "political pressure" or "outright corruption". You pick. 

Jason,

We have talked about this many times, both in person and over the internet. Suffice it to say that by now I am convinced of your hatred for commercial fisherman and all they represent. I am convinced that you are immune to any logical discussion of this issue that does not involve draconian restrictions on commercial fishing.  Therefore, I will no longer engage in any discussions with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Jason,

We have talked about this many times, both in person and over the internet. Suffice it to say that by now I am convinced of your hatred for commercial fisherman and all they represent. I am convinced that you are immune to any logical discussion of this issue that does not involve draconian restrictions on commercial fishing.  Therefore, I will no longer engage in any discussions with you.

And yet again Mike, you are deluding yourself. First of all, I have a passion and a responsibility to "sportfishermen". You and I were on a GOM Fishery Panel that was "supposed to be" about the needs of recreational fishermen and yet in the three years that you and I were on that same panel, I actually saw you show up for ONE MEETING. That was the only time I ever actually saw you in person and we did not say one direct word to each other so when did we actually have this conversation "in person"?

Secondly, you have, bless your heart, consistently sided with the commercial side of the equation while you claim that you represent recreational fishermen. Who's side are you on? 

Thirdly, I say to commercial fishermen: "live and let live". I have no quarrel with anyone making a living from the ocean EXCEPT WHEN their activities exclude recreational fishermen from pursuing their sport. My contention is that we rec fishermen "mostly" fish (80-90%) in near shore waters; state waters, if you will. So why do we have to compete with 50 draggers who deplete their allocation AND the rec allocation and people like you seem to think that's OK? They catch/kill far more that twice what they keep to sell and that type of fishing has no place in contained, near shore waters, not to mention the damage caused to the ecosystem by mobile gear raking over weed beds that juvenile fish need to feed and escape predation. 

Virtually 100% of the people on the commercial councils talk like you do. Add you to the rec councils you attend and you water down the needs of the rec fishermen while commercials have your unending support. No wonder fluke are virtually non existent in near shore waters because as soon as they show up a herd of 30 draggers mow them over. No wonder since the state of Ma. doubled the state daily quota of winter flounder in 2013 that the rec catch has dropped off by more than 75% (government stats). Why do we recreational fishermen always have to suffer for the excesses of the draggers?

I only want what is right for rec fishermen and yet you oppose everything I say. Why is that? 

Look in the mirror Mike, Who is "influencing" you (and who is paying them?)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dial away!

 

Massachusetts
District Name Party Office Room Phone Committee Assignment
1st Neal, Richard E. D 2309 RHOB (202) 225-5601
  • Ways and Means
2nd McGovern, James D 408 CHOB (202) 225-6101
  • Rules
3rd Trahan, Lori D 1616 LHOB (202) 225-3411  
4th Kennedy III, Joseph P. D 304 CHOB (202) 225-5931  
5th Clark, Katherine D 2448 RHOB (202) 225-2836  
6th Moulton, Seth D 1127 LHOB (202) 225-8020  
7th Pressley, Ayanna D 1108 LHOB (202) 225-5111  
8th Lynch, Stephen F. D 2109 RHOB (202) 225-8273  
9th Keating, William D 2351 RHOB (202) 225-3111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was driving on route 9 from framingham towards southboro in our last weather event. Forecast had possibility of snow flurries. The snow plowing had been slow and not much overtime. The pre treating spray truck ran past all signs warning of "low salt area". In both directions. The pre treat sprayed same amount evErywhere. here was no precip and temp was in 30's. I got up next day, waiting for school bus, sander went by 3 times. Forecast was chance of precip before 10 am with a high of 42. There was no precip. Only thing on roads was salt. Overfishing results in less fish but its more complicated than that. State pollutes at will and salinity is a major factor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 8:07 PM, Dave588 said:

I was driving on route 9 from framingham towards southboro in our last weather event. Forecast had possibility of snow flurries. The snow plowing had been slow and not much overtime. The pre treating spray truck ran past all signs warning of "low salt area". In both directions. The pre treat sprayed same amount evErywhere. here was no precip and temp was in 30's. I got up next day, waiting for school bus, sander went by 3 times. Forecast was chance of precip before 10 am with a high of 42. There was no precip. Only thing on roads was salt. Overfishing results in less fish but its more complicated than that. State pollutes at will and salinity is a major factor. 

sure thats a factor, but I seriously doubt the impact is anywhere near the impact of overfishing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.