Sethryder

TFO BVK 9’ 9wt?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

(Tfo bvk 9wt)

Anyone have any experience with this rod?  Im looking to purchase a budget friendly rod for stripers. This rod had good reviews but would love some “real” feedback.  Other rod suggestions welcome. 

Thanks

Edited by Sethryder

Seth, I have not used that rod, but I do have two Temple Fork TICR rods in 8 wt and 10 wt, and really like them.  I had a St. Croix prior to these two rods, and I did not like it.  I picked up the TICR rods after doing a casting lesson with Ed Jaworowski, and these are the rods that he brought with him to teach.  I used my St. Croix that day and then Ed's TICR, and quickly sold my St. Croix.

What are you looking to do with the rods?  Will you be on a beach, sod bank, boat?  Are you fishing deep water primarily, flats, or a bit of everything?  This information can help others provide you with some relevant feedback. 

I am sure that someone will chime in about that rod, but also check out the thread "inexpensive 7wt" that is around the top of the forum now, and there are a lot of good suggestions for rods there with a pretty similar price point to the BVK.  Just look for the 9 wt version instead of the 7 wt version.  

Thanks guys for the feedback!  To answer your questions doyle.  I will most likely be fishing shallow water from a 15’cc boat.  In a perfect world i would be sight casting to striped bass on the flats. I just got a boat last year, so untill i have some flats dialed in im open to fishing rips, under bridges, etc.  

thanks!

I like it. I use mine for large mouth fishing when I fly fish. You should not be disappointed with the bvk.

You also might want into a tfo ticr rod. I would guess you can pick those up for a similar price on fleabay.

But I don't think you would be unsatisfied with the bvk; it's a very versatile rod. Trust the Captain Tuttle.

For the same money you can get a mangrove by TFO.  The finish will hold up better in saltwater and it won't make those funny creaking, cracking noises when you're fighting a really large fish.  Not quite as fast as the BVK seems to be the only significant difference to me.  JMHO

Orvis Clearwater rods are very good because they are light and when compared to their cost and IMO no TFO rod is not as nice. I have BVK 9ft #10 and it is very stiff and heavy so I don't use it. #9 BVK is almost stiff and needs to be overlined.

Esa

Orvis Clearwater 9wt is heavier than a BVK 9wt by an 1/8 of an ounce.  The Mangrove is heavier, but I like the action better.  Just a tad slower and the finish is made for rough and tumble fishing.  I fish mine paired with Galvan torques and Rush lites and they balance out well, so weights not an issue.

A year ago I was looking for a 10 wt and my first choice was the TFO  ticr. Unfortunately the model had been discontinued. About the same time the tip on my TFO bvk 6 wt broke. TFO repaired the bvk, no problem but I was concerned that the bvk may not be beefy enough for me as a 10 wt. I ended up buying a 10 wt  TFO mangrove. I fished the mangrove all winter long and I love the rod. It is a breeze for me to cast. I fished it last winter for tarpon from a kayak and it did lots of pulling.

i would not hesitate to buy another mangrove.