ferret

big game knots

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

now that modern big game fly lines have power cores with 50-60-70# breaking strength and unlimited gel spun backing, what knots do you use to connect them? albright, alberto, fg, stripped to the core uni-uni  How about the fly line to 60-80-100# mono butt section?

Bimini (or double bimini) in the backing to a remade loop in the fly line. For the thick leader, a perfection or double figure of 8 to a remade loop on the fly line. 

Remade loops can either be a braided loop or a whipped superglued knot. 

Enjoy!

Loop to loop.

On fly line I prefer braided mono loop (I make them myself so that I know they’re made correctly).

GSP backing, splice if hollow, needle theough if not to get same effect. Both are 100%.

what I use on my backing is a Bimini and never had any problems.   Billfish set up is a darken loop on the back of the 30' 550 grain shooting head and a Dacron loop on the front end as well for a big butt section we use Dacron loops--everything joins loop to loop.  I use what the folks at Casa Vieja Lodge and Jake Jordan use for billfish.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

41 mins ago, bhorsley said:

what I use on my backing is a Bimini and never had any problems.

Hi Brian,

On some gsp (spectra, dyneema, they are all the same; gel-spun polyethylene) lines it is ok, on some not. My 50lb Sufix performance braid is ok with it (almost the same as with needling with which the breakage happens somewhere else) for example. But, with my 50lb PowerPro drops to about 30%. And the cheap gsp lines I have all behave almost as bad with bimini (or another normally good knot for gsp, like surgeon's loop).

-Sakke

Edited by sms

Problem with loop to loop braid to fly line connection or other knots with braids is that they seem to cut into the fly lines, especially a 4 strand powerpro types

the final results are at 5:46, no FG's for me

2 hours ago, ferret said:

Problem with loop to loop braid to fly line connection or other knots with braids is that they seem to cut into the fly lines, especially a 4 strand powerpro types

the final results are at 5:46, no FG's for me

Yes, some braid that have a "hard" feel to them can cut the fly line especially if they are thin. Better to double your loop when that's the case. 

On 8.1.2019 at 4:48 PM, sms said:

Loop to loop.

On fly line I prefer braided mono loop (I make them myself so that I know they’re made correctly).

GSP backing, splice if hollow, needle through if not to get same effect. Both are 100%.

That needle stuff that you make is a very nice way to make them loops. If I wasn't so lazy when it comes to stuff like that, I would definately go that way to. 

I should also go the braided mono loop way at some point. Whipped loops at the end of the line have plenty of strength to pull on heavy fish with tight drags, but they don't last long that way as the loop on the leader tends to dig in to the fly line.

But in general loop to loop is the only way to go if someone asks me.  

not sure if i am derailing this... but i am going to do my first costa rica trip and may go after sailfish.  What  is a leader setup for sailfish and yellowfin tuna?

thanks

also i use 275 yds of dacron on a tibor gulfstream to a loop with a spider hitch.  I switched from the bimini to spider hitch in my backing loop and have not had a fail.

1 hour ago, mightyrime said:

What  is a leader setup for sailfish and yellowfin tuna?

My standard setup for YFT (and BFT) is straight 50lb. The shorter you can get away with, the easier it is when the fish is next to the boat - you can reel more line in without the leader connection getting inside the tip top. If the fish are leader shy I can drop to 40lb. Normally my leaders are from 6 to 10ft long.

For sailfish I use the same, but have 130-170lb bite tippet of 2-3ft at the fly end to keep the bill away from the 50lb.

Not even close to being IGFA legal, but I don't care.

6 hours ago, mightyrime said:

also i use 275 yds of dacron on a tibor gulfstream to a loop with a spider hitch.  I switched from the bimini to spider hitch in my backing loop and have not had a fail.

Dude in your other post you only talked about sailfish with a 12 weight. Tuna? You need a 14 if not a 16 wt. They will absolutely sound on you and you will kill yourself with a 12. I have landed a mess of small YFT up to 25# and they were a handful on a 14 wt.