heyblue34

Sand Eels

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Afew years ago a buddy of mine would fish the canal  before heading down Cape and stopping in with a couple of fluke at which point I was told to go get more fluke, the hell with the bass

So I head to the canal and fish at secret spot 462 with sand eels and all I catch is stupid bass(two at a time) and no fluke.

end of story.

For sure you do not want to get in among a bunch of folks fishing with the wand and have to work around them . My experience is that they will not be to happy and accommodating to your plight as you are playing your fish in the current with no control over it.. On the other side of the coin the East end has a great spot to use it as does the West end  

21 hours ago, oldgoat said:

Afew years ago a buddy of mine would fish the canal  before heading down Cape and stopping in with a couple of fluke at which point I was told to go get more fluke, the hell with the bass

So I head to the canal and fish at secret spot 462 with sand eels and all I catch is stupid bass(two at a time) and no fluke.

end of story.

The best bait for fluke in the ditch is squid and or cut mackerel and we only have a couple of places where you will find them in numbers worth while fishing on. I can no longer climb down to them, but if any interest shoot me a private e mail

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

For sure you do not want to get in among a bunch of folks fishing with the wand and have to work around them . My experience is that they will not be to happy and accommodating to your plight as you are playing your fish in the current with no control over it.. On the other side of the coin the East end has a great spot to use it as does the West end  

Absolutely agree and I am highly doubtful that I will use the wand   “inside “ The Ditch...maybe at those places.

PM sent

2 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

Absolutely agree and I am highly doubtful that I will use the wand   “inside “ The Ditch...maybe at those places.

PM sent

Let me know when you are free, we can meet for coffee and go from there. :howdy:

3 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Let me know when you are free, we can meet for coffee and go from there. :howdy:

How about tomorrow? Breakfast on me at Breakfast Knook.

22 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

PM sent

If you ever decide to try inside the ditch shoot me a message.  I do all my fly fishing between the Railroad Bridge and the Power Plant.  I have been playing with different casting styles and rods for about two seasons now.   The rod I am using now primarily is the Thomas and Thomas Exocett Surf 11'2" TH OH 12 weight.  It was designed to purse tarpon up to 200 pounds from the beach and its not cheap.  I am using a Redington Behemoth 11/12 reel (30lb drag max) with 65lb gel spun backing and the Rio Levithan 26ft Sink Tip line in 700 grains.  It has a 10 inch per second sink rate.  For a leader I am just using 4 feet of 40lb flourocarbon so that is my weakest point in the system.  So far I have not hooked any substantial fish over 30 pounds yet so the rod has not gotten a real test at the Ditch.  The biggest I have landed was 35 inches and I was able to land it in about 2-3 minutes with this setup.  It has true "lifting" power and can horse a fish up out of the rocky depth.

I really cannot fish during the moon tides except middle of the night because of crowds.  I am fishing rip structures that are only about 50-60 feet out from the bank, but at 4KTS you need to be substantially up current of the structure to give your sinking line enough time to get down.  I make a bank side stripping basket out of large clothes bin with 550 cord to sand bags so I can have it sit in rocks next to me by stuffing sandbags into rocks to hold in place.  I am pulling a lot of backing out of the reel and making casts then dead drifting into my backing to sink flies down to rip structure in the fast current.  Its a math equation and I posted how I do that in another thread.  When I am initiating the flies swing I am in my gelspun backing so I use gloves so I dont slice off my finger holding it for the swing set.   So I need a lot of room and no one casting over me to make this work so middle of night on moon tides or less prime tides where current is less so I need less room and there are less people.  I gave up on trying to spey cast the surface blitz bite due to the crowds, not because it was ineffective on catching bass.  So night structure fishing is all I am doing with fly rod at Canal now.  

The other reason I gave up spey casting the surface blitz was I found a good skagit setup 10wt rated for king salmon.  I was able to make 100-115 foot TH casts skagit style and I did hook two very large bass with this rod near surface at first light.  I got smoked in the fight because the characteristics that make a skagit rod cast well is bending into the bottom third of the rod, which inherently makes them have bad lifting power.  When I was salmon fishing I was on a gravel bar and I could back up then reel and walk forward to gain line quickly on a fish.  At the canal I am in pretty treacherous spots so I need to be able to lift straight up with rod and crank down to gain line.  I found the skagit rod could not cut the mustard when used this way on a big fish in moon tide current.  One trip the guys around thought it was cool I was trying to get them on the fly and gave me room during the fight and encouragement.  Saddly when I had not really gained ground after 5-7 minutes in the fight I decided to break the cow bass off because I was definitely going to kill it landing it and was keeping about 25 other fishermen from being able to cast which is not fair when a great blitz is going on.  The second trip I had a bunch of out of state guys around me.  They gave me about 2 minutes then started casting over my line during the fight.  One guy snagged my line.  I end up breaking off the fish and he lost his plug too.  His large group of buddies started threatening me so I picked up my surf rod and put the fly rod down.  I ended up having another guy cast over me when fighting a big fish on my surf setup, but was able to land the fish and he tried to pretend he was the one who originally hooked the fish asking me to give him "his fish".  I released it told him to go to **** and when home for the day as I could not deal with the NJ bull****.  No offense to guys from NJ because there are great people there, but the stereotypical "bad NJ fishermen" I have run into both at the Canal and Salmon River are the worst of the worst in my opinion, but maybe they are just more memorable because their dialect is so distinct I always know when its a NJ person.  Since that trip I have not attempted a moon tide first light surface bite with fly rod.  I don't go fishing to get into fist fights and a large percentage of groups at Canal these days are not very courteous.

19 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Will shoot you a PM.  I would be interested in learning spots outside of my normal comfort zone of power plant to railroad bridge for the fly rod.  

Dan you bring up a lot of unfortunate and realistic points about the Canal. Although I have never had someone cast over me from the service road I think if it were to happen (knock knock that it doesn’t) I would be inclined to start throwing rocks. Needless to say that there is a reason I lurk the rip rap under the cover of night or go somewhere else. Besides that you should be fishing at night! (The fall run is much less stressful too).

What I am curious about is what makes you go to the fly rod. Are there specific conditions that you look for or are you just trying to land one on the fly? Or are there other triggers? According to author Frank Daignault the fly rod should be brought out for those nights when the bass are on something small. We can all agree with lure selection and “matching the hatch” but the Ditch is a different and difficult animal with spinning gear and southern infidels. 

@xjclint is another Troll who uses the magic wand. Wonder what his experience with it has been there?

5 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

Dan you bring up a lot of unfortunate and realistic points about the Canal. Although I have never had someone cast over me from the service road I think if it were to happen (knock knock that it doesn’t) I would be inclined to start throwing rocks. Needless to say that there is a reason I lurk the rip rap under the cover of night or go somewhere else. Besides that you should be fishing at night! (The fall run is much less stressful too).

What I am curious about is what makes you go to the fly rod. Are there specific conditions that you look for or are you just trying to land one on the fly? Or are there other triggers? According to author Frank Daignault the fly rod should be brought out for those nights when the bass are on something small. We can all agree with lure selection and “matching the hatch” but the Ditch is a different and difficult animal with spinning gear and southern infidels. 

@xjclint is another Troll who uses the magic wand. Wonder what his experience with it has been there?

In my experience the best spot to use a fly rod is on the East End at low tide when you can wade out and fish the rips. There are also some opportunities during blitzes on the rock bars throughout but that can be nuts.

5 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

I do both surfcasting and fly fishing.  Surfcasting is a much better tool for the Ditch hands down.  I am doing the fly rod purely for the challenge and excitement.  I wanted to find a rod that can actually do the job though.  I am not about playing cow bass to death on tackle not adequate for the canal.  So far all my big fish have come using my lamiglas 11' spinning rod with 50lb braid which is rated for 2-6 ounces.  When I go to the canal I bring both the fly rod and the surfcasting gear and if I can get away with fly rod I do that.  Otherwise I throw spinning gear.  I like the challenge but am also pragmatic.

1 hour ago, xjclint said:

In my experience the best spot to use a fly rod is on the East End at low tide when you can wade out and fish the rips. There are also some opportunities during blitzes on the rock bars throughout but that can be nuts.

Thanks for the note 

On 1/10/2019 at 4:12 PM, heyblue34 said:

How about tomorrow? Breakfast on me at Breakfast Knook.

Just seeing this . Spent all day at services for my Brother and his full military Burial at the National  Cemetery. My sons will be spending time with us over the week end . So we will have to wait until next week some time. I appreciate the Breakfast , but coffee would do just fine , so that it might make it easier to hook up. Thank you    .