Sand Eels

Rate this topic

heyblue34

Sand eels have been known to inhabit the east end of the canal at Pips Rip. The only way to really get them is by netting, which is not allowed by Army Corp, but many still do it. It takes two One on each end of a net and dragging it back towards the beach at low water. No one uses Sand Eel rakes for what ever reason. Sand eels will set up in some locations during the season, however the best sand eeling is down on the outer beaches from PT , Pamet River area, Race Point and Herring Cove to mention a few place they can be found. If you need a rake I can provide you one for a fair price?

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

7 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Sand eels have been known to inhabit the east end of the canal at Pips Rip. The only way to really get them is by netting, which is not allowed by Army Corp, but many still do it. It takes two One on each end of a net and dragging it back towards the beach at low water. No one uses Sand Eel rakes for what ever reason. Sand eels will set up in some locations during the season, however the best sand eeling is down on the outer beaches from PT , Pamet River area, Race Point and Herring Cove to mention a few place they can be found. If you need a rake I can provide you one for a fair price?

Thanks for the offer but I just wanted to know if I should tie up some sand eel patterns for teasers.

Bonefish Dick might be able to shed some light on that.In my 50+ yrs of fishing Sagamore/Scusset I have often seen him and his flyfishing buddies on the beach tossing what looked like a sandeel clouser. I have certainly dug for them there (as well as sea worms) and used them as bait (I do not flyfish - bait, plugs and lead) so there is my 2cents.

Puck

Puck - Ditch Troll #42 and Mouse #320, the CanadiansĀ  - Eh! At the Ditch for 50yrs

Ā 

2 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

Thanks for the offer but I just wanted to know if I should tie up some sand eel patterns for teasers.

If you are using the majic wand to fish with then the answer is absolutely,Ā  a yes Blue Green and Silver combinations will take fish

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

21 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

If you are using the majic wand to fish with then the answer is absolutely,Ā  a yes Blue Green and Silver combinations will take fish

Not sure of the magic wand in the big river even though I know of a fellow Troll who does. Iā€™ve been using teasers, namelyĀ Deceivers,Ā for the past several years and like the results.

Edited by heyblue34

2 hours ago, speedwell said:

Bonefish Dick might be able to shed some light on that.In my 50+ yrs of fishing Sagamore/Scusset I have often seen him and his flyfishing buddies on the beach tossing what looked like a sandeel clouser. I have certainly dug for them there (as well as sea worms) and used them as bait (I do not flyfish - bait, plugs and lead) so there is my 2cents.

Puck

@bonefishdickĀ 

I surfcast and fly fish the Ditch.Ā  I would highly suggest getting flies that imitate bay anchovies, silversides, peanut bunker, and juvenile herring in addition to sand-eel flies.Ā  mackerel and Bonita and albies will prey on these small baitfish.Ā  A mackerel magic swimmer or other plug chasing a teaser is a great way to entice bass to eat when small bait is present in mass.Ā  I tie all my own patterns for the most part, but saltwaterfliesĀ  dot com has some good teaser fly options: Erico's blueback herring, Enrico's peanut bunker, and Crease Flies are all good herring/baby bunker imitations.Ā  For anchovies I like 'Chovy Candy, Eye Candy, and Albie Candy are good options.Ā Ā 

3 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

I surfcast and fly fish the Ditch.Ā  I would highly suggest getting flies that imitate bay anchovies, silversides, peanut bunker, and juvenile herring in addition to sand-eel flies.Ā  mackerel and Bonita and albies will prey on these small baitfish.Ā  A mackerel magic swimmer or other plug chasing a teaser is a great way to entice bass to eat when small bait is present in mass.Ā  I tie all my own patterns for the most part, but saltwaterfliesĀ  dot com has some good teaser fly options: Erico's blueback herring, Enrico's peanut bunker, and Crease Flies are all good herring/baby bunker imitations.Ā  For anchovies I like 'Chovy Candy, Eye Candy, and Albie Candy are good options.Ā Ā 

Thanks for the great information. Ever use Dave Bitterā€™s ā€œBaymen Universalā€? Also what set up are you using for the Ditch and what conditions trigger you to use the magic wand?

image.jpg

Edited by heyblue34

3 mins ago, heyblue34 said:

Thanks for the great information. Ever use Dave Bitterā€™s ā€œBaymen Universalā€? Also what set up are you using for the Ditch?

image.jpg

Never used that fly, but looking at the pictures I think it will catch plenty of fish.Ā  For a teaser I am using typically a mackerel stick shad as the plug with a 10 inch dropper tied off the swivel eye of 30lb test leader for the fly.Ā  The fly is attached to dropper with a no slip loop knot.Ā  My main leader to the plug is 36-40 inches long and 60lb test.Ā  I have my drag set at 20lbs of start up drag so if a fish takes the dropper I don't break them off immediately.Ā  I have the dropper a lot lighter in case I hooked two fish the fly would be lost instead of the plug.Ā Ā 

Ā 

For fly fishing I am primarily using the Thomas and Thomas 12 weight 11'2" Exocett Surf two hand rod with a Redington Behemoth 11/12 reel.Ā  Fly line is Rio Levithan 700 grain sinking line with 65lb gel spun backing.Ā  The core strenght of the levithan is 50lbs and i use a straight 5 foot 40lb fluorocarbon leader off the end of the sinking line.Ā Ā 

Makes sense to go lighter on the teaser line to avoid loosing a plug. I tie mine on the leader with a dropper loop about a foot or so in front of whatever Iā€™m throwing: SP, Magic Swimmers, eels, soft plastics. A word of caution on the latter because you double up your snag chances so once you feel structure keep it moving. It really pays to know your spots.

Ā