Favorite conditions for fluke?

Rate this topic

Pad_Crasher

Early morning, beginning of the outgoing with just enough breeze to keep the gnats at bay.  I fish south jersey just a little north of door gunner.  

One thing I did differently this year is make a bunch of trips with my buddy in his tin boat, been fishing the backwaters of Avalon and sea isle for 30 years .... except in a 24’ boat with a straight inboard.... the little boat with a trolling motor was like a whole new world. Up until this year my buddy had never flounder fished.... he’s hooked for life after this past summer. 

I was was able to scale down my tackle and fish a lot lighter, 10 lb braid ... 10 lb floro leader and did the most damage with either a 3/8 oz jig head and 2 1/2” finesse or a 1/2 oz bucktail tipped with spearing and a strip bait....I’ve always been a live bait guy, holding in place with the trolling motor and casting up into creek mouths produced a lot of flounder and a lot of keepers with the finesse. ... so much more fun than just drifting.... the weakfish and stripers as bycatch we’re fun too on that light tackle. 

Primarily used a st croix triumph 6 ft 6 rated 1/4-5/8 oz with a 2500 diawa..... 

E1D3658C-F38C-47D6-AD98-3B27034158FD.jpeg

37732D90-2EA1-48AB-90FF-A999D7A86E79.jpeg

Edited by bigfish4me

years back before beach replenishment ruined all the structure inshore we would fish a jetty on DB side of CM and catch flounder in the jetty pocket and rip at the end with a 1/2 oz white bt and a 5" squid strip by using a slow bounce and retrieve 5to 10 flounder  in the 2 to 5 lb range were common all you needed was clean water and some tide movement but not now:waah:

Edited by fd4mcola
TURN THE POACHERS IN
C&R IS GOOD BUY AMERICANLET FISHING BE FUN

On 1/14/2019 at 2:26 PM, bigfish4me said:

Early morning, beginning of the outgoing with just enough breeze to keep the gnats at bay.  I fish south jersey just a little north of door gunner.  

One thing I did differently this year is make a bunch of trips with my buddy in his tin boat, been fishing the backwaters of Avalon and sea isle for 30 years .... except in a 24’ boat with a straight inboard.... the little boat with a trolling motor was like a whole new world. Up until this year my buddy had never flounder fished.... he’s hooked for life after this past summer. 

I was was able to scale down my tackle and fish a lot lighter, 10 lb braid ... 10 lb floro leader and did the most damage with either a 3/8 oz jig head and 2 1/2” finesse or a 1/2 oz bucktail tipped with spearing and a strip bait....I’ve always been a live bait guy, holding in place with the trolling motor and casting up into creek mouths produced a lot of flounder and a lot of keepers with the finesse. ... so much more fun than just drifting.... the weakfish and stripers as bycatch we’re fun too on that light tackle. 

Primarily used a st croix triumph 6 ft 6 rated 1/4-5/8 oz with a 2500 diawa..... 

E1D3658C-F38C-47D6-AD98-3B27034158FD.jpeg

37732D90-2EA1-48AB-90FF-A999D7A86E79.jpeg

Love the light setup. I have a 2500 sustain, 10lb braid, and a 7’ mojo inshore rated the same. I tell people that I can feel a fluke piss on my gulp.

Higher tides and never shut down the motor. Can't even remember the last time I just drifted. Seems like there is always a wind blowing and wind just screws with flounder fishing. Letting the wind or the tide to control your drift just reduces your catch. Run the motor to control your drift and the odds are in your favor.