Pad_Crasher

Favorite conditions for fluke?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Bored boys and not much going on. Curious what your favorite conditions for fluke are. I don't have a boat yet so I don't really get to pick and choose exactly when I go. The whole reason I like fluking is because I love summer and that's when it is done. However, I have done well in the bay on rainy overcast days and have also caught during small craft advisories to my surprise. West is the best, two hours before/after tide, yada yada yada. What's your thoughts?

Light northwest is my favorite. Say 8 MPH or so. Enough to have a drift, but not too fast either. I've done well in all winds though. I think time of year is the more important factor as long as it's not blowing. 

2 hours ago, FunkyBunker said:

You don't need a boat for flounder. 

Not being a smart ass, I would be interested in hearing your methods. If you go to your spot and don't get a bite do you relocate, wait it out. I'm guessing it's not so much favorite conditions but more of a favorite location for conditions.

3 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

Not being a smart ass, I would be interested in hearing your methods. If you go to your spot and don't get a bite do you relocate, wait it out. I'm guessing it's not so much favorite conditions but more of a favorite location for conditions.

He actually does need a boat for fluke fishing.  But he tries.  :)  

Outgoing tide in my fav. Channel, casting up current with the least amount of lead to keep in contact with the bottom (usually a 1/2oz) and just letting it bounce and swing.

16 hours ago, squidder 329 said:

Mostly back bay spots. Find sod banks you can walk around. Also bridges and bulkheads. Cast jigs or BTs with gulp or other rubber baits up current and work it back. 1st cast usually along the bank then each cast after that a few feet further out until casting towards the middle of the channel. If nothing move a few yds down and continue the process until a good area is covered. I'll only move like 10'-15' at a time so i'm getting just past where i couldn't hit before, but still working through the previous spot because they won't always hit the first time. If skunked then relocate. I play the wind and tides. Deeper sections during low tide and shallower areas during incoming/high. Seaweed on every cast don't even bother. 

16 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

He actually does need a boat for fluke fishing.  But he tries.  :)  

lol true statement. 

13 mins ago, FunkyBunker said:

Mostly back bay spots. Find sod banks you can walk around. Also bridges and bulkheads. Cast jigs or BTs with gulp or other rubber baits up current and work it back. 1st cast usually along the bank then each cast after that a few feet further out until casting towards the middle of the channel. If nothing move a few yds down and continue the process until a good area is covered. I'll only move like 10'-15' at a time so i'm getting just past where i couldn't hit before, but still working through the previous spot because they won't always hit the first time. If skunked then relocate. I play the wind and tides. Deeper sections during low tide and shallower areas during incoming/high. Seaweed on every cast don't even bother. 

Well thought out, one thing this technique will do is teach you the area. Had the same issue with a kayak, once I picked my area I was committed, it was a heavy one so picking up and going to another location was a pia. The thing that made me nervous with sod banks is getting the fish on land, needing to get close to the edge I was always concerned about undercutting. Some sod banks are virtual walls with twenty feet of water  I think the thought process is short grass solid ground and tall grass soft ground.  

40 mins ago, FunkyBunker said:

lol true statement. 

It all started going downhill when you chopped off the party in the back.  :read:  

20 hours ago, FunkyBunker said:

You don't need a boat for flounder. 

You don't need a boat for many fish. Boating gives you more opportunity and opens up new areas obviously, and gives you that "open road" type feeling people enjoy with motorcycles. 

2 hours ago, squidder 329 said:

Well thought out, one thing this technique will do is teach you the area. Had the same issue with a kayak, once I picked my area I was committed, it was a heavy one so picking up and going to another location was a pia. The thing that made me nervous with sod banks is getting the fish on land, needing to get close to the edge I was always concerned about undercutting. Some sod banks are virtual walls with twenty feet of water  I think the thought process is short grass solid ground and tall grass soft ground.  

Yeah it helps to figure out the bottom structure. Undercutting isn't too bad around here, but there are a few spots that are questionable. I bring a net for the bigger ones, shorts i'll just hoist out. Go out in the spring before the grass starts growing to see what the spots look like. 

2 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

It all started going downhill when you chopped off the party in the back.  :read:  

I lost a part of my soul that day. 

1 hour ago, Pad_Crasher said:

You don't need a boat for many fish. Boating gives you more opportunity and opens up new areas obviously, and gives you that "open road" type feeling people enjoy with motorcycles. 

I prefer flounder fishing on a boat. Really wish i had a kayak down here though.