srm413

inexpensive 7wt

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

+1 on the Redington Predator-  I bought one as a backup last summer and ended up using it as my go to single hander with an intermediate line.  Wonderful casting rod and great price.

the sage bass ll is also called the smallmouth / 290g rod.  look on their website.

its a specialty stick made to load with one cast and throw bigger flies.

I do agree above poster that if i was going to only fish smallmouth with a rod.. i would use the rod i mentioned or a fast 6wt with a fighting butt.  The orvis recon is a killer rod... you can get it on ebay for $275.

A 7wt is very versatile if used for more than smallmouth.  I use my 7wt more than any other rod.

a 7wt is good for:

flats fishing... bonefish, redfish, striper

smaller steelhead rivers

bass of all types

big trout river / trout streamer rod

3 hours ago, The Fisherman said:

I'm not basing outcomes on that poll. I'm speaking from my experience and stand by my statement. Very few anglers specifically target large stripers on the fly from the shore; if I happen to hook a single 30-pound bass in a 365 day period, that, my friend, is a darned good year. :-)

Steve Culton

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No and it ain’t over yet!

An all-time classic. I once wrote a piece titled "Everything I Needed To Know About Steelhead I Learned From 'Animal House.'" I used some of the subsequent lines from that scene. You can probably still find it on the internet somewhere.

I think we're in violent agreement on several things, such as staying positive and not rehearsing defeat.  An optimistic streak is surely an asset for anyone trying for bigger bass.

Speaking of catching big bass, I'll be presenting "Targeting Big Stripers From The Shore" at the Fly Fishing Show in Marlborough Saturday, 1/19 @ 10am. Hope to see some SOLers there. :-)

Steve Culton

2 hours ago, flyrad10 said:

But the handle is ridiculously short.

yeah its 1 cork ring shorter.  I am not a big guy nor do i have giant hands so it works for me.  I could see this being a problem for bigger hands.  Oddly i generally sand down all my other rod grips to a smaller diameter to fit my hand....  so maybe this is a good match.

2 hours ago, Sethryder said:

I would love the recon, but the bvk is more in my price range at the moment. 

2 hours ago, flyrad10 said:

But the handle is ridiculously short.

2 hours ago, mightyrime said:

the new axiom 2 is a better rod than the BVK in my opinion and is less likely to break

The handle on the BVK brings it down several notches for me - almost any rod on my earlier list in 6wt or 7wt beats it for me, partly because I have fairly large hands.  Also there's the issue of weight distribution on the BVK.  Handle being so short and the blank being super beefy in the middle 2/3  means that the rod feels heavier than its actual weight (I'd call it tip heavy but the tip section itself is light, thin and rather brittle - where most breaks occur).  The BVK is a poor choice for fish in heavy cover.  The TFO Mangrove is better.  The Redington Predator is better.

Have not test cast the TFO Axiom II but for that price personally, I'd spend a tiny bit more and go with the Recon.  For the price point the OP is looking at, a used mid-to-higher end but older rod in good condition is maybe the ticket.  There are two other TFO rods to look at in lower price category - the Mangrove and the Professional II.  Both are more well thought out (design wise) rods than the BVK, IMO.