Sudsy

Membership drive - Shark River Surf Anglers

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

An open invite - come to a meeting and check it out. Next one is a seminar meeting the topic being sharking the beach tips and techniques.

It's been a long long time since we actively recruited new members but as time passes some guys move away, some members pass on, the membership roll shrinks down. We're below 100 members for the first time in 10+ years, so it's time to open the rolls to some new blood.

Lot of SOLers in SR, myself, Digger, Sparky, Chumbucket, Jimmy Breeze, Swiss, Scotty Lex, NIB............ 

Unlike some other clubs we actually do stuff, a lot of stuff -

The annual Christmas Party we just had on Dec 9th was, as always, a blast.

The upcoming Awards dinner is our fancy night out,

Then the Spring Lake Children's Trout Tournament in April,

A club camping / shad fishing trip the first weekend in May to Worthington State Park on the Delaware,

The summer picnic, with a buffet, Chinese auction, clowns, face painting and a huge piñata for the kids.

The interclub fishing tournaments (5 top fish only, we don't kill many)

The presentations, seminars, question and answer, at some of the club meetings,

The monthly big fish pool,

The plug raffles at every meeting,

Amazing Chinese auctions with lots of custom wood (we have a lot of builders in the club) at the Christmas party, the awards dinner, and the summer picnic

Every meeting has a 50/50 rollover raffle – Swiss won it last month but wasn’t there so it’s rolled over again

Charter trips on the Big Mohawk out of Belmar (Capt Chris is a member)

The Gobbler, and the Spring Chicken are the two tournaments we sponsor in the spring and fall against the other clubs, additionally we break into teams, draw the names out of a hat and everyone tosses in $20, winning team takes all. The abuse factor is savage and a lot of fun (guess who's team just won again :howdy:). 

We have a FB page and webpage (under construction at the moment)

We have a huge club library with about 150 fishing books (I'm the librarian)

What would be great and a lot of fun would be to bring in your own crew and stake out a part of the club for yourselves. 

Meetings are always the second Thursday of each month at the Goodwill firehouse in Spring lake.

If you like it join, if not then that's OK too. Annual dues are $30

I generally bring $15 to each meeting to get in on the raffle, the 50/50, and the monthly big fish pool

If you come to a meeting you'll join,

I was never a club guy either. Asbury was always bugging me to join, the old Stevens Surfsters club as well, then 16 years ago my friend and fishing partner and SOLer Jeff Morris (RIP) joined SRSA and got me to bring my kids to the trout tournament, I was so impressed I joined at the next meeting and it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made, these guys have become my best friends.

Come to this Thursdays meeting and check it out. It’s a seminar meeting the topic being surf fishing tips and techniques

A copy of our newsletter, the Screaming Reel is attached here (PDF format)

SRSA Jan 2019 Newsletter.pdf

Edited by Sudsy

You have to go to a meeting to join. We vote you in and you pay your dues.

(pretty much a formality, in the 16 years I've been a member no one has ever been denied)

Anyone interested can come check out a meeting, they don't have to join that night

On 1/7/2019 at 0:37 PM, Sudsy said:

An open invite - come to this Thursdays meeting and check it out. It’s a seminar meeting the topic being surf fishing tips and techniques.

It's been a long long time since we actively recruited new members but as time passes some guys move away, some members pass on, the membership roll shrinks down. We're below 100 members for the first time in 10+ years, so it's time to open the rolls to some new blood.

Lot of SOLers in SR, myself, Digger, Sparky, Chumbucket, Jimmy Breeze, Swiss, Scotty Lex, NIB............ 

Unlike some other clubs we actually do stuff, a lot of stuff -

The annual Christmas Party we just had on Dec 9th was, as always, a blast.

The upcoming Awards dinner is our fancy night out,

Then the Spring Lake Children's Trout Tournament in April,

A club camping / shad fishing trip the first weekend in May to Worthington State Park on the Delaware,

The summer picnic, with a buffet, Chinese auction, clowns, face painting and a huge piñata for the kids.

The interclub fishing tournaments (5 top fish only, we don't kill many)

The presentations, seminars, question and answer, at some of the club meetings,

The monthly big fish pool,

The plug raffles at every meeting,

Amazing Chinese auctions with lots of custom wood (we have a lot of builders in the club) at the Christmas party, the awards dinner, and the summer picnic

Every meeting has a 50/50 rollover raffle – Swiss won it last month but wasn’t there so it’s rolled over again

Charter trips on the Big Mohawk out of Belmar (Capt Chris is a member)

The Gobbler, and the Spring Chicken are the two tournaments we sponsor in the spring and fall against the other clubs, additionally we break into teams, draw the names out of a hat and everyone tosses in $20, winning team takes all. The abuse factor is savage and a lot of fun (guess who's team just won again :howdy:). 

We have a FB page and webpage (under construction at the moment)

We have a huge club library with about 150 fishing books (I'm the librarian)

What would be great and a lot of fun would be to bring in your own crew and stake out a part of the club for yourselves. 

Meetings are always the second Thursday of each month at the Goodwill firehouse in Spring lake.

If you like it join, if not then that's OK too. Annual dues are $30

I generally bring $15 to each meeting to get in on the raffle, the 50/50, and the monthly big fish pool

If you come to a meeting you'll join,

I was never a club guy either. Asbury was always bugging me to join, the old Stevens Surfsters club as well, then 16 years ago my friend and fishing partner and SOLer Jeff Morris (RIP) joined SRSA and got me to bring my kids to the trout tournament, I was so impressed I joined at the next meeting and it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made, these guys have become my best friends.

Come to this Thursdays meeting and check it out. It’s a seminar meeting the topic being surf fishing tips and techniques

A copy of our newsletter, the Screaming Reel is attached here (PDF format)

SRSA Jan 2019 Newsletter.pdf

Good morning 

I've been looking for a club to join that's involved in the saltwater fishing scene and this sounds great. I have a few questions to ask before I'd venture down to attend a meeting and join. I live in Northern NJ and depending on when I get out of work getting down the shore for a meeting is going to be tough. Is a certain amount of attendance necessary to maintain a membership in good standing? Second, my 14 year old son loves to fish the salt with me...would be be able to join with me also?

I work in a hospital and shift work dictates when and what time you can do something, I'm also on-call for cardiac emergencies so when on call, I cannot leave my vicinity. This would prohibit me from attending at certain times as well. Would this pose a problem?

Thanks for your feedback. I look forward to hearing from you.

Stew Lampe

FishnDucks

None of those things are issues.

Your son can join as a junior member.

The only thing we do which we consider mandatory is for all members to help with the trout tournament - so long as they're not working that day. 

We're starting a new thing as of this month, A free custom rod and reel setup raffle, the rod built by one of our members (who does beautiful work).

Every meeting you attend you check your name off, each one is an entry into the raffle.

On 1/8/2019 at 3:55 PM, Sudsy said:

(pretty much a formality, in the 16 years I've been a member no one has ever been denied)

This is Bellringer we're talking about...

20 hours ago, Sudsy said:

None of those things are issues.

Your son can join as a junior member.

The only thing we do which we consider mandatory is for all members to help with the trout tournament - so long as they're not working that day. 

We're starting a new thing as of this month, A free custom rod and reel setup raffle, the rod built by one of our members (who does beautiful work).

Every meeting you attend you check your name off, each one is an entry into the raffle.

Thanks for the information. I'll be doing my best to get down there soon to sign up. Thanks Sudsy!

On 1/8/2019 at 3:55 PM, Sudsy said:

You have to go to a meeting to join. We vote you in and you pay your dues.

Anyone interested can come check out a meeting, they don't have to join that night

My friend has a hair stylist appointment that night.  Whens the next oppertunity

Posted (edited) · Report post

Missed a good meeting !

Next one is Feb 14th

(Oh S### that's Valentines day)

Edited by Sudsy

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Next one is Feb 14th

(Oh S### that's Valentines day)

There goes that..not even gonna try contemplating the amount of 3-dimensional chess and or flowers required to make that possible.

In the interest of self preservation we're going to change the meeting day

Looking like it's be the Tuesday before (the 12th)