newportrockhopper

Okuma SLV or.....

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I am looking to purchase a 2wt and 4wt reel for trout fishing. I was looking at Okuma SLV as it is very budget friendly and the reel will not be used too often. Open to other suggestions as well, but any input on SLV 2/3 and 4/5 would be awesome. Thanks

I bought a 2/3 years ago, it’s worked fine for light use since the (maybe 5 years). It feels heavy, and is not a mechanically stunning piece, but it certainly does a good job holding line. I luckily haven’t dropped it on any hard surfaces- so I cannot report on its durability in that aspect. And it’s cheap!

It's durability is quite poor, but I have the 10/11, maybe the smaller models are different. I doubt it. It's a pretty horrible reel compared to the new stuff these days. 

I vote okuma integrity instead. Basically the same price and a better reel. 

I own 3 SLV's in larger sizes.  Great budget reel for larger fish.  Drag is very good.  Mine have caught LOTS of large salmon.  They serve as my loaner reels.  However in the size you are looking at, I would choose Okuma's Sierra reel if you want new.  Great little reels, much more attractive.  Better yet, look on the auction site for something used.  You can find used Orvis Battenkill for less than $80 or new for around $100.

9 hours ago, qecfly said:

I own 3 SLV's in larger sizes.  Great budget reel for larger fish.  Drag is very good.  Mine have caught LOTS of large salmon.  They serve as my loaner reels.  However in the size you are looking at, I would choose Okuma's Sierra reel if you want new.  Great little reels, much more attractive.  Better yet, look on the auction site for something used.  You can find used Orvis Battenkill for less than $80 or new for around $100.

awesome thank you.