Manual Pickup (Bail-Less) Issue

Rate this topic

FoliFish

21 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Mabe you could have some one video you as you do it mabe that might help

I was thinking the same thing lol.  Like a golf swing analysis.  

If I spend a couple hours paying attention I’m sure I’ll figure it out

I think you can try to hold the reel between your ring finger and the little finger, so that when you catch the line with index finger, the line and the spool will have a smaller angle. I also habitually like to push the line away from the spool a little bit before the roller catches it from my finger. I think you just need to get some muscle memories, and it sure needs practice. 

I definitely have that from time to time and casting with that loop over the top of the spool really sucks.  At night in particular after I cast I pick up the line putting it on the roller then peel a bit of line off the spool against the drag. If the line was wrapped around the top it comes out.  

"If you know that and you don't know anything else you know more than if you know everything else and you don't know that."

I've been thinking about this

The only thing I can come up with is that you either have very long fingers and/or are reaching forward as much as possible to catch the line at the end of the cast.

Rather than just bending the end of your finger a bit to put the line on the spool, you're pulling it back a longer distance and catching the ridge on the drag knob.

I have short sausage-like fingers so that's never been something I'd be capable of doing

Edited by Sudsy

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

21 hours ago, rickhern said:

My guess would be inaccurate guide layout on your rod. You probably have some total hack wrapping rods for you. Give Billy40 a call and not only will your rods not look like they were built by a third grader, your loop issue will be a thing of the past.  Or not.

That guy is a hack for sure!

21 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I've been thinking about this

The only thing I can come up with is that you either have very long fingers and/or are reaching forward as much as possible to catch the line at the end of the cast.

Rather than just bending the end of your finger a bit to put the line on the spool, you're pulling it back a longer distance and catching the ridge on the drag knob.

I have short sausage-like fingers so that's never been something I'd be capable of doing

After watching someone yesterday I think that's exactly what's happening.  I'm grabbing the line too far forward of the spool even when the spool is fully extended.  I need to pickup and pull the line further back towards the rod butt.

Use the tip of your finger to feather the very end of the cast, it'll help you control the line and it'll be right on the end of your finger, no fumbling around trying to catch it

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Since the 706 came out about 1972 (+/- a year) you are old as dirt, aren't you :p