FoliFish

Manual Pickup (Bail-Less) Issue

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Hoping maybe someone that’s experienced this has found the fix and has some pointers.

I’ve gone back and forth between bailed and bail-less reels a number of times over the past 8-9 years.  Hoping to stay with manual pickup this time.

Seems like every now and again I end up with line across the top of the spool after I pickup and start the retrieve.  If it goes unnoticed (usually at night) it can be a major problem.  I understand the need to extend the spool to the top so that’s not the issue.  There’s something in my mechanics that’s causing this and hoping for some advice.  Typically I like the reel stem between the middle and ring finger when casting/retrieving.  Could this be part of it?  I always try to stop the line just before the plug/bait splashes down so there’s some tension in the line so I think I’m okay there.  It’s something subtle and hope to figure it out before the season starts.

this happens/has happened with all manual reel I’ve used.

Catch the lure before it hits the water. The lure is coming down so that doesn't effect distance. Spool extended on cast with line roller at 6 o'clock. Working with heavier lures so that you can feel their weight before they hit the water kind of helps and makes it easier to feel the transfer to the roller.

Cast, catch, turn and put line on roller at the same time. Be deliberate.

Sometimes using different reels can keep you from getting in tune with a particular reel's assembly and shape. Keep casting with one reel, then move on to others. Slow down during the day and deliberately pay attention to your mechanics and it will be second nature before long. That carries over at night.

For me switching reels takes a slight curve to get accustomed to their subtle difference so I can be super efficient the way I want to be.

Going back and forth between reels inhibits that. I want to get to the point I'm not thinking about it and I'm working the lure as it hits the water. I see way too many people not engaging their line in time.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Are you saying your getting the line over top of the spool using bail-less ?

I've never even heard of that before much less done it

Spool fully extended is normally about not catching the line on the roller during the cast

I suppose not having it extended could possibly have something to do with your issue ??

Edited by Sudsy

6 hours ago, afishhunter said:

Anti-reverse operational and engaged?

I dunno. I've never had that issue.

Yup.  

5 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Are you saying your getting the line over top of the spool using bail-less ?

I've never even heard of that before much less done it

Spool fully extended is normally about not catching the line on the roller during the cast

I suppose not having it extended could possibly have something to do with your issue ??

Yes.  Weird, right?  

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Catch the lure before it hits the water. The lure is coming down so that doesn't effect distance. Spool extended on cast with line roller at 6 o'clock. Working with heavier lures so that you can feel their weight before they hit the water kind of helps and makes it easier to feel the transfer to the roller.

Cast, catch, turn and put line on roller at the same time. Be deliberate.

Sometimes using different reels can keep you from getting in tune with a particular reel's assembly and shape. Keep casting with one reel, then move on to others. Slow down during the day and deliberately pay attention to your mechanics and it will be second nature before long. That carries over at night.

For me switching reels takes a slight curve to get accustomed to their subtle difference so I can be super efficient the way I want to be.

Going back and forth between reels inhibits that. I want to get to the point I'm not thinking about it and I'm working the lure as it hits the water. I see way too many people not engaging their line in time.

There’s some hiccup or glitch in my mechanics occasionally.  It doesn’t happen often but when it does it can be a real pain in the ***!

Performing “air casts” I my living room last night my wife thought I was nuts lol.  

It not like I’m new at this...just developed a yip somewhere along the line.

Edited by FoliFish

7 hours ago, FoliFish said:

There’s some hiccup or glitch in my mechanics occasionally.  It doesn’t happen often but when it does it can be a real pain in the ***!

Performing “air casts” I my living room last night my wife thought I was nuts lol.  

It not like I’m new at this...just developed a yip somewhere along the line.

Yeah, having a line problem can be a real PITA, and for me a nightmare lol. Is there anything worse than having something like that happening in the middle of a strong bite? I'll go nuts, pissed :banghd: lol. That's why I'm obsessive with making sure my line is right.

I think slowing down, and relaxing, is prolly the best thing anyone can do out there. Sometimes that can really make the difference. Just be in the moment. I know I will kind of warm up and practice a little when I start. I'll also really practice and test things when things are slow. Kind of like practicing fundamentals in sports.

Might try moving your hand back so the reel stem is between the middle and index finger. I go days without getting line across the top of the spool, then I may happen several times the next time out, I just blame the perversity of inanimate objects.

4 hours ago, shark lobster said:

Are you picking up the line rite when lure hits the water and crossing spool face with the line ? Ive only seen this happen on bail reels !

Exactly!

3 hours ago, tristate said:

Might try moving your hand back so the reel stem is between the middle and index finger. I go days without getting line across the top of the spool, then I may happen several times the next time out, I just blame the perversity of inanimate objects.

Lol...I’ll give it a shot

2 hours ago, bayyaker54 said:

are you using a swivel on your leader, if not,  maybe your line is twisting causing a loop.

Swivel.