Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jerseystriper

MA Clammers/Steamers AKA Pissers

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

So, I live in the Jersey Shore. Spend most of winter clamming Navisink River off Rumson with my sons. Gives us a reason to get out of house on weekends once duck season is done. Anyway this year, all the Steamers/Pissers died over the summer. Completely gone. Quahogs are in usually abundance.  Word had it that something similar happen in MA, so I am just wondering if that is true.

Thank you

More than likely it was steamer clam neoplasia. Highly contagious, not to humans but only steamer clams. It can wipe out beds in short order. It does not effect quahogs.

my spot is loaded by historical standards (rocky, sandy, not very muddy, most years don't have any/many really), and the pissers are huge, the size of your fist some of them.  I'll have to work harder to thin it out to keep this thing from spreading!

Stout razor clams seem to be displacing steamer clams on their beds. Every year I notice there are less and less steamers and more of these guys.  This is happening in other cape towns as well. 

tag4b1.jpg.c318a0864144cc3f07e75072edc43e5d.jpg

Stout razors are related to the atlantic razor clam but are not nearly as tasty as the atlantic razor and they are also shorter and fatter in shape .............

5c33b526c5906_thumbnail(1).jpeg.3062824c56dec8a736530f1322aa699a.jpeg

Rob, i hear the razor market is insane and there have been some huge sets recently. interesting we never really found much of them in Bourne, but it seems they like the expansive flats of CCB and Nauset Marsh...

28 mins ago, bradW said:

Rob, i hear the razor market is insane and there have been some huge sets recently. interesting we never really found much of them in Bourne, but it seems they like the expansive flats of CCB and Nauset Marsh...

Atlantic razors seem to do best in areas with big tides.........Fishermen are getting  $5.80  a pound for them right now......:shaky:

ironically the spots where I'm getting piss clams usually is full of razors, but I watched several folks out trying for them recently and they came up nearly empty.  We only found one while digging.

After my local market having steamers for $3.99 - $4.99/lb thru most of the summer and early fall, they have been $5.99/lb since about 11/01, too much for my taste. Finally I see in their ad today they are down to $4.99/lb, which is my top limit on price.

I have a  dozen or so massive steamers in my fridge that I dug over a week ago, soaking them twice last week.    We ate all the smaller ones by Friday night.

Last night I realized that they were still in there and that they must be dead, so I went to throw them out.

Virtually every one of them was still alive!

Think they're still good to eat??????

46 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

I have a  dozen or so massive steamers in my fridge that I dug over a week ago, soaking them twice last week.    We ate all the smaller ones by Friday night.

Last night I realized that they were still in there and that they must be dead, so I went to throw them out.

Virtually every one of them was still alive!

Think they're still good to eat??????

If they are alive they are good......

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

If they are alive they are good......

Heehee! Ill let you know tomorrow :^)

If not, ill let you know when i get out of the hospital ;)