Mike

2019 Blackfish Regs

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

17 mins ago, TimS said:

Do they inspect the places that wholesale fish? Do local authorities inspect fish wholesalers? When someone buys a fish from some guy through the backdoor they have no idea where it came from, when it was caught, how it was transported or stored or what it has come into contact with. I'm guessing there are some kind of inspections done that are bypassed by selling a fish through the back door of a restaurant - if not, there should be ;)

TimS

To the best of my knowledge, no inspections of anyone by anyone. Now there may be some sanitary inspection done by some local authorities, but they don't amount to a hill of beans. As far as the when, where and how, that is a big issue in all seafood sales, and it is just beginning to be addressed by various public and private organizations. Suffice it to say that right now, where a fish came from, how it was caught and stored, is basically a black hole. In fact, if the guy selling the fish through the backdoor of a restaurant has a commercial license, it's most likely a completely legal transaction.

41 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Suffice it to say that right now, where a fish came from, how it was caught and stored, is basically a black hole. In fact, if the guy selling the fish through the backdoor of a restaurant has a commercial license, it's most likely a completely legal transaction.

Wow :b:  Did not know that...so there's no accountability for reporting the fish sold that way? Who is responsible for reporting those fish...buyer or seller? I never would have guessed that Mike...not in a million years...all the more reason that they should be tagged - and a tag-less fish in a restaurant should be a deterrent sized fine :squid:

TimS

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Wow :b:  Did not know that...so there's no accountability for reporting the fish sold that way? Who is responsible for reporting those fish...buyer or seller? I never would have guessed that Mike...not in a million years...all the more reason that they should be tagged - and a tag-less fish in a restaurant should be a deterrent sized fine :squid:

TimS

Oh yes there is "accountability, at least in theory. All commercial fishermen have some sort of reporting requirements. Now for the only state licensed guys, I can't definitively state what those requirements are for each and every state. But most states seem to have some sort of reporting mechanism set up to comply with the ASMFC's ACCSP data collection system. On the federal level, licensed fishermen are required to not only report but they are only legally able to sell to a licensed federal dealer, who is also required to report his purchases. I am under the impression that most of the back door restaurant sales are buy state only licensed pinhookers but I could be wrong on that.

56 mins ago, MakoMike said:

I am under the impression that most of the back door restaurant sales are buy state only licensed pinhookers but I could be wrong on that.

And poachers :)

4 mins ago, TimS said:

And poachers :)

Maybe with today's politically correct paraphrasing we should call them "unlicensed commercial fishermen"?

48 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Maybe with today's politically correct paraphrasing we should call them "unlicensed commercial fishermen"?

**** them - poaching pieces of **** :read: