Mike

2019 Blackfish Regs

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Mike said:

The size limit will remain at 15 inches all year long, up from the current minimum size of 14 inches.

"The customers are so used to having two more fish, and now we're going down to four,"

You guys had a 14" 6 fish limit this year? I didn't go fishing until mid November and as far as I know, the OE was 3 miles off before that. The Inshore fishing that goes on in Long Branch in late September early October is all small boats. THat is the only time the fishing has been really good  up here. And it didn't last too long this year at all. And no thanks for the business advice, I just had 30 people here to learn about how to build rods, I'm probably going to do a beginners event on Saturday which I'm going to get 20-25 people, and 3 workshops between now & MLK Day. I'll build less rods again this year and plan go fishing for 6 months instead of 5 months this year - which equates to a lot of days standin gther ein the cold doing nothing because there are no mroe blackfish to catch thanks to the NY boats.

I don't see how these new regs are going to change anything at all.  Figure most guys are keeping 1 or 2 on a party boat.  Smaller boats are inflicting more damage of course.  Every year they'll keep cutting back until people stop going blackfishing because they can't catch any.

WRT to NY- Chris is right...i don't know how many times we'd see little NY boats fishing in NJ.  It was funny because he'd set the hooks right on top of them and they'd all be standing there looking like helpless sheep. The first step to improving the fishing is to align NY and NJ regs and then cut everyone back to no more than  2 fish.  Close the season from April through mid summer.  Of course nobody like to hear the truth.

54 mins ago, Kml said:

I never understood the NY and NJ season start and end being different.  They should start and end on the same days if they are mostly fishing in the same ponds.

Fishing some of the same water, not mostly. NY includes half the Sound and the Montauk fishery.

16 mins ago, Mike said:

Fishing some of the same water, not mostly. NY includes half the Sound and the Montauk fishery.

I would bet that the NY Bight has significantly more pressure.

I don't know what h's talking about but the feds AFAIK have no FMP for tog, so there is no reason for the feds to such anyone to do anything about tog. If they are really pushing NJ on tog, I would like to see that, since it might change my mind about the relationship between the feds and the ASMFC.

Posted (edited) · Report post

ASMFC has an FMP and a 2017 Amendment 1, which I believe was adopted 6/2018. It's an interesting doc, but at 152 pages I've only gone over the abundance and mortality data. It tells me to go fish in RI where abundance and spawning biomass are at acceptable levels and overfishing is not occurring. NYNJ bight region looks effed with the data showing 0.54 mortality rates and all stock assessments well below targets.

Edited by Mike

2 hours ago, Billy 40 said:

You guys had a 14" 6 fish limit this year? 

Effing Y posted an article that was written in January 2012. LOL.  :bucktooth:

24 mins ago, Slacker said:

Effing Y posted an article that was written in January 2012. LOL.  :bucktooth:

17 mins ago, Billy 40 said:

lmao. Reliability priority #1. 0000

OMG! Really? Yes... Really! Damn....

I saw this over at Zuckerberg's yesterday morning and it was dated yesterday. Smh.... 

Mike, stop for 1 second. THINK. When were the Regs 6 fish at 14"? As a lowly rodbuilder I'm pretty far down on the mensa scale...probably below a Sanitation Worker (lmao when he sees that).

3 hours ago, Mike said:

That's OK - they can set regs for the western south shore/NY Harbor different from what they set in the sound and off Montauk.  They've done it before, not too difficult to enforce.  There's really no reason why there should be different start times for NY/NJ.

1 min ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

That's OK - they can set regs for the western south shore/NY Harbor different from what they set in the sound and off Montauk.  They've done it before, not too difficult to enforce.  There's really no reason why there should be different start times for NY/NJ.

Where have they "done it before"? No state is seems to be willing to divide their regs geographically within the state, it would probably make more sense for NJ to do it, given the differences between northern and southern NJ. I could see different regs in NY between the sound and other areas, but not between different parts of the south shore.