Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mako20ft

Hunting Packs - Brand, what stuff & how much stuff?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

With the season over I'm checking dates on first aid, broken this or that, etc...  Got me wondering, does anybody else use a list for essentials or rather just rely on memory?  I was forever forgetting something so years back I jotted it down, then put it in Excel using the  "Gotta Have", "Like to Have" and Medical (essential).

 

Quick to admit the first aid is closer to a trauma kit. Reasoning has always been even 1 mile off the beaten path means hours before someone is hauled out and makes it to a facility.

 

This was my first year with the ALPS Falcon Pack and I'm happy for the money.  The carriage is designed to push the pack away from the body and keep air flowing...cool you off.  I bought it based on that but found with a thick vest or coat the extra material swallows up the gap. It's smaller than my last pack but even with the list has room left over.  Absolutely brilliant design with holding a bow or rifle (I don't own one but it works well with Crossbow too).  One other thing I really liked is the ALPS Binocular chest case...$50 but I can't see ever wearing it out.

 

Obviously some of this is bought bulk and doesn't make it to the pack.

 

 

Bag Contents.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

depends on where I'm hunt'n, but mako 20ft's picture shows a lot of similarities in what I carry. Different for the hunting in the back yard versus the back country. Things I usually carry include spare reading glasses (can't read topos without them), bleed stop powder (I take coumadin), glucose tablets (one of my hunting buddies is type 2 diabetic), baby aspirin and nitroglycerin (came in handy with my 1st heart attack this season), Horse leg wrapping (keep bandages in place and stabilize broken bones and ankles), very large, heavy duty orange garbage bag (temporary shelter + signalling), piranha razor knife, "Butt-Out" rectum remover, drag harness (usually find a young guy, but sometimes I need to drag one out), Duct tape (but just part of the roll). Usually carry a FM/AM radio (I'm so close to deaf that I can't hear any critters). A book if I'm going to be on stand for a extended period. One or 2 headlamps or flashlight. FRS radios if in the big woods or cell phone if good coverage area. Disposable handwarmers, spare gloves and hat, backtag and tag holder if hunting in NYS southern zone. Varmint call and "squeaker". Sometimes estrous scent and grunt or bleat calls (I usually mouth call). water bottle.

 

I'm also doing my annual inventorying of what I got, what I need, and what I can so without. Also, what stands need improving, brush to cut, and what to plant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'll add my list I use once I'm at work and can put it in PDF.  Most if not all is very similar to what you've listed.

Edited by mako20ft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No deer hunting anymore. Pig hunts I bring heavy gauze bandage (like clot-cloth) and a tourniquet. 

I took a tactical first aid course since I had all this stuff in my bag. The doctor giving the course dumped out the bag and threw away about 80% of what I was carrying.

I still carry a small first aid kit with bandaids and butterfly stitches.

A serious wound, either gunshot or puncture wound or compound fracture will probably reaching for a bible at that point. The cloth cloth and tourniquet will save your live, but practice with the tourniquet.

I knew a guy that fell out of a treestand and drove a broadhead through his bicep. Lucky to be alive, lucky he didn't lose an arm. It was coincidence that a ranger was nearby with a tourniquet and lots of gauze to pack the wound.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SallyGrowler said:

No deer hunting anymore. Pig hunts I bring heavy gauze bandage (like clot-cloth) and a tourniquet. 

I took a tactical first aid course since I had all this stuff in my bag. The doctor giving the course dumped out the bag and threw away about 80% of what I was carrying.

I still carry a small first aid kit with bandaids and butterfly stitches.

A serious wound, either gunshot or puncture wound or compound fracture will probably reaching for a bible at that point. The cloth cloth and tourniquet will save your live, but practice with the tourniquet.

I knew a guy that fell out of a treestand and drove a broadhead through his bicep. Lucky to be alive, lucky he didn't lose an arm. It was coincidence that a ranger was nearby with a tourniquet and lots of gauze to pack the wound.

 

 

 

To be honest, I could not disagree with your Doctor any more.  My thinking is you should consider a small bag for trauma injuries more than aspirin and band aids.  Out there it could be hours before you or your buddy are found and somehow hauled back to civilization.  Cuts and scrapes...meh.  Falling out of a tree stand, snapping an ankle by stepping wrong or, god forbid, an arrow or gunshot wound.  It takes very, very little space to keep the right items handy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

^^^ I hope that didn't sound preachy...I just can't imagine a professional telling someone to ditch medical supplies.  Then again, maybe I read it wrong?

 

Anyway, here's my list.  Fits in a 2500 size bag with plenty of room left over for lunch, poncho, etc...

 

 

 

Hiking_Bag_List.pdf

Edited by mako20ft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, mako20ft said:

 

To be honest, I could not disagree with your Doctor any more.  My thinking is you should consider a small bag for trauma injuries more than aspirin and band aids.  Out there it could be hours before you or your buddy are found and somehow hauled back to civilization.  Cuts and scrapes...meh.  Falling out of a tree stand, snapping an ankle by stepping wrong or, god forbid, an arrow or gunshot wound.  It takes very, very little space to keep the right items handy.

That is precisely why the expert dumped my bag full of aspirin, band-aides and wound dressings.

The doctor in question is a combat veteran. Seems like you agree with him rather than disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, mako20ft said:

^^^ I hope that didn't sound preachy...I just can't imagine a professional telling someone to ditch medical supplies.  Then again, maybe I read it wrong?

 

Anyway, here's my list.  Fits in a 2500 size bag with plenty of room left over for lunch, poncho, etc...

 

 

Hiking_Bag_List.pdf

nope - all good. happy to see other's set-ups. respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

another story: my brother is a surgeon. we go offshore a lot. I ask him where the first aid kit is.

He opens a cabinet on the boat and pulls out a box with rubber gloves, sutures and a surgical stapler.

He had a box of clot-cloth and a gallon of clorox...

He started using the surgi-stapler for rigging baits! lol.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the dog and me, I carry:

Pliers (porcupine quills)

vet wrap

gauze pads

Israeli bandage

Quick clot gauze 

CAT tourniquet

Cellox packets

Scissors 

small bottle of Saline

Syringe 

 

I used some Cellox last week :th:

:v:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good.  I always carry 2.   2 ways to make fire, 2 ways to make light, 2 ways to navigate, etc...   I also carry a small ham radio.  I get a 2 meter repeater on my hunting club in the adirondacks, but rarely get cell service.

 

I also carry bobby pins.   Perfect when a bag or jacket zipper fails, or you break a bib or pack strap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, salt deficient said:

I also carry bobby pins.   Perfect when a bag or jacket zipper fails, or you break a bib or pack strap.

 

I had never thought of that but I can see where they'd be awful handy.  I'm married to Duct Tape...use it so much I keep Orange and Brown laying around the shop  :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 hours ago, gadwall8 said:

For the dog and me, I carry:

Pliers (porcupine quills)

vet wrap

gauze pads

Israeli bandage

Quick clot gauze 

CAT tourniquet

Cellox packets

Scissors 

small bottle of Saline

Syringe 

 

I used some Cellox last week :th:

:v:

 

Is the syringe for the dog or another purpose?  Kudos on Cellox...I've used it exactly once years ago.  Stuff works...

Edited by mako20ft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, salt deficient said:

A huge window is closing on hunters safety.

 

Garmin and others only has rechargeable batteries.  They still have the extrex 10. It uses 2 AA batteries

 

Uhm, what?  The 64ST I literally just picked up uses 2 AA batteries. You can switch to lithium or the rechargeables but why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.