gadwall8

The 2019 Tavern Victory Garden Thread

Rate this topic

1,246 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not much of a spicy pepper person but these little things have some kick

 

What’s the best way to preserve these 

dry them? Process?

F798819D-E455-435F-8CBD-DB26BA27DAE5.jpeg

4B2AD586-E84C-4597-A77F-E00E92B24745.jpeg

775E33E7-1486-45FC-8307-53FA5823BBAB.jpeg

Edited by Sandflee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On those peppers you can freeze them, I'd use vac seal bag. I usually freeze them if I have a definite plan on how I am going to use them.

 

My favorite way to put them up is just pickling them. I use pickled jalepenos/spicy peppers all the time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sandflee said:

Not much of a spicy pepper person but these little things have some kick

 

What’s the best way to preserve these 

dry them? Process?

F798819D-E455-435F-8CBD-DB26BA27DAE5.jpeg

4B2AD586-E84C-4597-A77F-E00E92B24745.jpeg

775E33E7-1486-45FC-8307-53FA5823BBAB.jpeg

 

They look like long slim red. I dehydragte them and make looney peppers out of them, mostly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, MikeMc said:

 

They look like long slim red. I dehydragte them and make looney peppers out of them, mostly. 

Pic is deceiving maybe 3” tops 

 

funny the guy guy at the seed packet factory must have been having a bad day, these came from a Cubanelle pack I got half  cubanelle and half of these 

Edited by Sandflee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sandflee said:

Pic is deceiving maybe 3” tops 

 

funny the guy guy at the seed packet factory must have been having a bad day, these came from a Cubanelle pack I got half  cubanelle and half of these 

 

Yeah, two years now I've ordered what I thought were peppers Looney had given me a couple years ago. Instead, they are these peppers mattituck Mike calls mouse chit peppers because they are the shape of a mouse turd, but bigger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I probably see 10-15% off-types on average.  Unless grown in isolation peppers are just really prone to cross pollinating.  Those off types are usually the ones I save seeds from though because subsequent generations will show the whole range of genetic diversity present in the parent plants.  Probably half of my 70 plants this year are unique varieites that descended from those unintentional crosses.  Its kinda neat growing stuff noboby else has and not knowing what color, shape, etc. you're going to end up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MikeMc said:

 

Yeah, two years now I've ordered what I thought were peppers Looney had given me a couple years ago. Instead, they are these peppers mattituck Mike calls mouse chit peppers because they are the shape of a mouse turd, but bigger. 

 

E6A3CA3E-7E01-4881-8C8F-AAC80D5F36B6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sorghum and millet are doing better than I could have hoped. The taller of the sorghum is about 12’ tall. Millet looks like it will be ready to cut in not too long. I wish I threw some seeds down near the pond for the birds :naughty:

 

65FCCA8F-BAB1-4038-8234-2EAB545DB345.jpeg.23124fd619aa9d33b3c8dec8a7b669af.jpeg4C7B81E0-DAD0-4FDA-9FA0-E5304F467C09.jpeg.aba214b572817188f119f67e12d8f0ad.jpeg3E5C6AD9-4C32-4591-ACA5-E546A845F2D8.jpeg.5d651dc07bea9391b0a003e097bc9865.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.