Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mako20ft

Treasured pictures "stuck" to frame

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

We're chatting it up in Tavern about been there/done that.  I wanted to share some pictures from living in Alaska that I've long had framed but stored.  Incredibly disheartened to learn many of them are sticking to the inside glass.  The first gentle attempt started tearing the paper so I immediately stopped.  Try'd the other direction but same result.  Tried another framed photo but it's "infected" too.  No idea of the substance causing it...the cardboard boxes, frames and other contents are bone dry.  Whatever it is it's showing as a light brown stain on the right side, example below.  Dry rot...?

Would anyone be willing to offer up some ideas for how to get the paper to release from the glass?  These are treasures that cannot be replaced (stupid me never thought to digitize them but if I get them out it'll be a priority).  If this requires a professional I've no issue with ponying up for the work but I'd at least like to offer direction regards what may or may not work.

Please see below...

Thank you for any thoughts...

Alaska I.JPG

Have you tried a flatbed scanner right in the frame?  It's worth a shot, although you might get glare off of the glass.

Other than that I have no idea. Maybe a frame shop could guide you in the right direction.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Google says

Wrap in some newspaper to protect it from damage. Place it in the freezer for an hour, wearing rubber gloves to protect hands in event glass breaks. Remove photo and glass from the freezer, open the paper, gently pull up on the corner of the photo, it should come away from the glass.
Edited by squidder 329

Remove the glass and picture from the frame.  Find an office copier that has color scanning.  Scan it glass and all in gloss color mode and be sure to set it for Tiff mode and 600 dpi.  Generally these machines are all defaulted to 200dpi to reduce file size but you should find a resolution button in the menus.  You will be shocked at how good they scan.  If its bigger than 12x18 you have three options:  scan it in sections and piece it back together in photoshop OR find a local print shop that has a Contex wide format scanner that can feed it glass and all.  We have one of these and it was about a $12,000 investment.  Another method we use with difficult or fragile to scan items is simply mount it to a wall and use a DSLR, a good lens 70-200 L works good, and a tripod to take a picture of the picture.  Another method that yields very good results.

Work in the printing business and we do this stuff all the time.

Edited by mako capt

On 1/6/2019 at 11:38 PM, mako20ft said:

We're chatting it up in Tavern about been there/done that.  I wanted to share some pictures from living in Alaska that I've long had framed but stored.  Incredibly disheartened to learn many of them are sticking to the inside glass.  The first gentle attempt started tearing the paper so I immediately stopped.  Try'd the other direction but same result.  Tried another framed photo but it's "infected" too.  No idea of the substance causing it...the cardboard boxes, frames and other contents are bone dry.  Whatever it is it's showing as a light brown stain on the right side, example below.  Dry rot...?

Would anyone be willing to offer up some ideas for how to get the paper to release from the glass?  These are treasures that cannot be replaced (stupid me never thought to digitize them but if I get them out it'll be a priority).  If this requires a professional I've no issue with ponying up for the work but I'd at least like to offer direction regards what may or may not work.

Please see below...

Thank you for any thoughts...

Alaska I.JPG

How did you go mate?

Were you successful 

2 hours ago, MickAff said:

How did you go mate?

Were you successful 

Hey Mick, fair is fair.  Who's the brunette in that Avatar and we'll talk  :laugh:

Story line teaser, reports so far it's a 50/50 "happy ending"...

On 1/7/2019 at 6:56 AM, mako capt said:

Remove the glass and picture from the frame.  Find an office copier that has color scanning.  Scan it glass and all in gloss color mode and be sure to set it for Tiff mode and 600 dpi.  Generally these machines are all defaulted to 200dpi to reduce file size but you should find a resolution button in the menus.  You will be shocked at how good they scan.  If its bigger than 12x18 you have three options:  scan it in sections and piece it back together in photoshop OR find a local print shop that has a Contex wide format scanner that can feed it glass and all.  We have one of these and it was about a $12,000 investment.  Another method we use with difficult or fragile to scan items is simply mount it to a wall and use a DSLR, a good lens 70-200 L works good, and a tripod to take a picture of the picture.  Another method that yields very good results.

Work in the printing business and we do this stuff all the time.

Apologies, I didn't see your well thought reply.  Much appreciate your response...

10 hours ago, mako20ft said:

Hey Mick, fair is fair.  Who's the brunette in that Avatar and we'll talk  :laugh:

Story line teaser, reports so far it's a 50/50 "happy ending"...

Danielle Vedovelli

Looks like she likes photography too....

Edited by Jim DE

Oh my... :)

So my FIL (who's a solid dude) is a photography buff.  He said don't touch them. There's another box at stored in NYC and they're visiting in March. That box is Utah, Colorado with mule deer, etc hunts.  Still MIA are some great pics from TN with Boar hunting.  Anyway, he's going to see what he can find out from his local shop in Brooklyn ( talk about high end equipment).  Rather than guess at what I'm running into with the diseased glass I'm going to mail him 3 well packed pictures in the frames.  Digging thru the stacked frames as I near the bottom the discoloration turns distinctly "greenish" versus the brown hue I showed in those earlier posted pics.  The FIL is convinced it's a chemical reaction but reality is who knows?

I know it's treasured stuff but I'm also very curious just what the hell would cause this.  Consider they've been stored in a temp controlled and dark environment for over 20yrs?

It's a work in progress.

Danielle Vedovelli you say...gracias 

Edited by Jim DE