Peterjohnson835

Zeebaas vs van stall

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, jsbergen said:

I included that in the post and It’s common knowledge that the VR models are the 2nd tier, more affordable reels. I’m speaking of the other VS and ZX Zeebass reels. VR’s removed, it’s clear that they ( and Stella’s) are indeed of the best quality on the market. The VR is at the top of the list when comparing non full sealed reels.  

They are at best semi sealed which is why it is necessary to service them yearly for most users and more often for others. When Rigoli,Hersom and Cantelmo owned the company there was an included manual. On page 10 it clearly stated that a grease and lube should be changed every 20 days fished. This is to remove the contaminated lubricants. It is unfortunate that the manual no longer is included since the ownership of VS by WC Bradley. The current management is completely satisfied with letting end users remain under the mistaken impression that the reels are completely or fully sealed . 

Scan.jpeg

Page 10 1.jpeg

Edited by mml4

Both are pretty good.  Both can have issues.

It also depends what kind of fisherman you are. 

I am the type, to lean on my equipment...some may consider it abuse.

From personal experience.

I find that the VS can take more abuse than the ZB.

As with anything, there are camps of folk who will defend their choice to the bitter end.

You really cannot go wrong with either.  The new peeps over at ZB seem to be really nice...and as noted in a recent thread there are plenty of great places to have your VS serviced.

Look at the designs, read the reviews, and buy one.   Then buy the other one.  Most of the differences I find to be cosmetic.  Like as in.... nuances that really do not improve my fishing experience.

ZeeBaaS are made in USA and are 100% serviceable by the end user. 

Van Staal made in China and cannot be properly serviced without specialty tools not available from VS. 

I own them both, but I prefer ZB. Smoother too. 

24 mins ago, ged said:

ZeeBaaS are made in USA and are 100% serviceable by the end user. 

Van Staal made in China and cannot be properly serviced without specialty tools not available from VS. 

I own them both, but I prefer ZB. Smoother too. 

Only if ZB would make something comparable to VS150 and other 4K size reel in the 16oz range.  The 20oz + zb 20/22 is not a direct competitor in my opinoin.

Edited by hobobob

3 hours ago, hobobob said:

Only if ZB would make something comparable to VS150 and other 4K size reel in the 16oz range.  The 20oz + zb 20/22 is not a direct competitor in my opinoin.

I am turning 39 this month. A few ounces are not going to make a difference and this point. Although, there will come a day where it may. 

It cracks me up, this wave of extremely light rods and reels and yet the hottest plugs are 4oz GRS. 

4 hours ago, mml4 said:

They are at best semi sealed which is why it is necessary to service them yearly for most users and more often for others. When Rigoli,Hersom and Cantelmo owned the company there was an included manual. On page 10 it clearly stated that a grease and lube should be changed every 20 days fished. This is to remove the contaminated lubricants. It is unfortunate that the manual no longer is included since the ownership of VS by WC Bradley. The current management is completely satisfied with letting end users remain under the mistaken impression that the reels are completely or fully sealed . 

Scan.jpeg

Page 10 1.jpeg

I disagree that the current VS X Series and Zeebass ZX series are “ at best semi sealed”. I have had zero issues as my reels have all been sealed and water tight keeping all sand and salt out (vsx200 & zx22). For every 1 person who may have had a seal issue I hear about 10 who didn’t. If they were as average as you are implying they wouldn’t be backed by as many epic fisherman.  It seems kind of evident that you have a hard on for VS. 

3 hours ago, hobobob said:

I absolutely agree with you. Don’t think I would be willing to fish a vs100 or 150 at 20oz. For the majority of guys using the super light rods I have seen a few pass on the ZB. Stating that the 20oz didn’t match with their 9ft and the 22oz (25&27) with their 10 or 10’’6.   I reserve my ZB for my heavier gear 11ft. 

l guess the winter blues are setting in, so we will have a whizzing contest VS verses ZB or the other way around, the VR-VS-ZB all three are 100% water poof, the manual that MM14  posted means squat, all seals will fail after time l have seen some nasty looking inners in booth VS & ZB , it's a good thing to pop the side cover at lest once a year, yes the VR and the ZB are a little easyer to full service, VS is doable, two tools are needed that you cant buy, it's being done at home check out you tube, l have made the tooling for my reels in 1997, yes l like VS whats not to like, my reel has been going of 23 years. Would l buy a ZB no.

100_0416.JPG

GED, if you have non stop stream of 20 and 30lber in the area, all the power to you. But like most people, I had to downsize this fall. Fishing for rats and schoolie with zb27 on 11ft rod is just overkill.  Most of my fishing is done on a saragosa 6k or bg4k on a 9fter. I have not used heavy gear because the is no need to, 2nd year in a row.

34 mins ago, LB said:

l guess the winter blues are setting in, so we will have a whizzing contest VS verses ZB or the other way around, the VR-VS-ZB all three are 100% water poof, the manual that MM14  posted means squat, all seals will fail after time l have seen some nasty looking inners in booth VS & ZB , it's a good thing to pop the side cover at lest once a year, yes the VR and the ZB are a little easyer to full service, VS is doable, two tools are needed that you cant buy, it's being done at home check out you tube, l have made the tooling for my reels in 1997, yes l like VS whats not to like, my reel has been going of 23 years. Would l buy a ZB no.

100_0416.JPG

C’Mon Man, that picture is from 2004

10 hours ago, LB said:

100_0416.JPG

Not everyone is talented like you and able to make their own tools. Most people are not including myself. You can buy the tools. Dig into you tube and you will get the information where to buy the tools .

Edited by levari