Peterjohnson835

Penn706

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, SC said:

As great a reel as it was, the roller ended it for me at first spin

What was your go to reel before the vs 300 , a 704 ? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

The one factor that makes the greenies different from the z series is the metal side plate. Instead of the traverse running on plastic it's running on metal. I think with all the parts being the same and new inside the reel the greenies feel a little more solid and better built, could be tolarances too. I know in the 706 z series there is 2 more bearings than in the 704, one under the main gear and one in the line roller, I'm not sure and dont remember whether this was in the green series 706 as I believe I've only seen 704 greens but I'm assuming the bearings were added after the switch. If I was fishing before the vs I'd rather have a 6500ss, 550ss, or daiwa bg and just service it after every couple outings. But that's just my opinion. The 710 however I really like for some reason. If anyone knows any other differences I'd like to hear them though. 

Edited by Big Will

I love the greenies, gotem laying around the house use them like therapy for the winter doldrums.Time tells faults, I liken them to the vw beetle, airstream t/t or the snapper rear engine mower,some things stand up to time.afterall, a vs is a rich mans penn greenie...

On 1/6/2019 at 9:58 AM, BrianBM said:

Another topic on which we have a zillion threads.  Use Search, top right, and you'll find them. 

Brian, the thread starter is a banned member who rejoined and posted a couple intentionally stupid topics hoping they would get approved to get him out of mod queue so he could post something childish and vulgar to get back at me for his removal from the site. He doesn't really care about either of the topics he started :)  

TimS

On 1/7/2019 at 10:23 AM, TimS said:

Brian, the thread starter is a banned member who rejoined and posted a couple intentionally stupid topics hoping they would get approved to get him out of mod queue so he could post something childish and vulgar to get back at me for his removal from the site. He doesn't really care about either of the topics he started :)  

TimS

Hence the user name Peter Johnson?  Haha, just a tad more subtle than Richard Johnson. 

After gear failures 2 years in a row with different generations of Conflict I am seriously thinking of bringing a 710 greenie out of retirement. It was changed to manual pickup in the 70s and the thing is dependable.