Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
i07nyc

Accordian door problems

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I'm getting ready to gut my 1st floor bathroom. We have a cheap accordion door there now. As far as I can see, keeping the accordion door is the only thing to do. A pocket door would not be wide enough and there is electrical in the wall. Any ideas on what to do, or a source for better accordion doors.

0105191834a.jpg

0105191834b.jpg

0105191834.jpg

We had a nice bi-fold door in a similar space between two bathrooms. Probably less privacy than accordion door provides.

It looks,like,your only other option would be an outswing door opening toward the entrance door , if it would clear the fridge . You would have to keep the door closed all the time , but who wants to look at a bathroom from the kitchen anyway .

one other thing , keep that cast iron radiator. Sand blast it and paint it . They put out great heat .

If I out swing towards the door, it will hit the fridge. Fridge is all the way back and sticks out an inch. Swing towards fridge would me a dented fridge in my house. Swing in is not an option. So looks like accordion door. Anyone know where I can get a good quality one? I've gone through 2 ones from the big box in 4 years. 

I had no plan on replacing the radiator. Love the cast ones.

1 hour ago, i07nyc said:

If I out swing towards the door, it will hit the fridge. Fridge is all the way back and sticks out an inch. Swing towards fridge would me a dented fridge in my house. Swing in is not an option. So looks like accordion door. Anyone know where I can get a good quality one? I've gone through 2 ones from the big box in 4 years. 

I had no plan on replacing the radiator. Love the cast ones.

Maybe try bifold raised panel closet doors ? 

Another vote for the bifold door. I used one to close up the entrance to my basement from the living room /kitchen area. It's no where near as tight as your area is, but Regular door sounds stick way further than I would like when it's open. The bifold is a good compromise. And it looks good too.

0106192113.jpg

0106192113a.jpg

Since your gutting could the sink(can't judge from the pic) be moved more towards the corner? Then an in swinging 24" door may be possible. 

I don’t want to spend aaaalllll your money...but by the looks of it your fridge is a bit older...why not get a counter depth fridge? Then you’re open to all kinds of openings...it’s a win win..now you have a fridge for your garage,basement cave.

:)

That is a counter depth fridge. Its 4 years old and was hella expensive.

If you ever go to buy an old house and your wife says this house has a lot of character, just remember, character equals design problems.

8 mins ago, i07nyc said:

No can do. Doorway is 28" and wall is only 25" deep. A peeping toms dream.

You can do anything you want if you have the right guy and can pay him.  

Looked at those Woodfold doors. Those look pretty good. Other option I ran across is move the switch and go with bypass barn doors. Only slight problem with moving the electric, which I won't know until I tear things out is, I think the lathe is pretty much right on the brick on the outside wall. My wife was thinking of leaving the 2 outside walls exposed, so I could run wire in a race but not sure if she'll like it.