Angler #1

Making the Canal a Real Recreational

Rate this topic

303 posts in this topic

15 mins ago, ged said:

Let’s make the canal great again

Fish it to near extinction. Drive up the economic value. Sell to affluent Japanese businessmen.  Heck, if it works for Bluefin......

I had a nice conversation with an EPO who regularly patrolled the canal as he lives in Sagamore Beach.  He informed me the majority of the time when calls were placed about illegal activity along the banks of the canal that when they were investigated more often than not there was no illegal activity actually taken place.  Small fish were actually 28"+, two fish were legally possessed by permit holding commercial fisherman, fish were hidden under seaweed or in the woods because they didn't want others knowing they caught or were keeping fish out of direct sun.  People with agendas make a bigger deal about what is going on than what is really happening.  If you want to be mad about something, be mad at the instant gratification fools that have burned the place to a crisp.  I respect the views of those who feel the bass need protection and commercial fishing should be closed until things get better even though I do not share that view.  I do not respect the views of people who want to change the rules to fit their agenda whether it is a quota grab for boat guys or they want the canal to be only beneficial to their affiliation which in this case is the recreational fisherman.  Either make it a catch and release fishery statewide or make it fair for all involved.    

Carl I find your suggestion to close the canal to comm fishing hypocritical as well.  I gave up comm fishing years ago, so I gave no dog in the fight.

However,  just because you hold no comm license, you still participated in comm fishing. You personally told me you fish on every comm day possible, for striped bass and black sea bass. I called you on two occasions this summer, and your lovely wife told me on both occasions "it's a commercial day, and Carl's always out fishing."

So I guess there's only one question to ask:

While you out on your buddy's boat commercial striped bass fishing, were the legal size fish you caught released, or were they kept and sold? (A one word answer will suffice)

18 hours ago, Astronaut said:

Exactly this. The canal is a 7 mile stretch of water. Bigger and more viable efforts would focus on pollution (such as the crap water being leaked from river ways like the Merrimack). All we do is talk about one body of water when we could be making leeway into much larger issues regarding fish swimming in human **** water and the giant population of seals mauling schools of bass. IMO the issue of the canal is brought up because most of the usuals there are pissed with all the visitors from the other states. If you really want to conserve, you ought to push for sewage storage regulations (which no one will do) and research other factors such as abundance of bait fish and water temperatures. 

^^ Great post

10 hours ago, ged said:

Rob, your statement is near sighted.  All the commercial guys I know also recreational fishermen.  Now, that doesn't mean that there are not dedicated commercial guys, but to infer some (probably more than 90% of the licensed MA striped bass commercial fishermen) don't fish recreationally outside commercial season is silly.  Commercial fisherman also practice C&R on all fish under 34". There is mortality there as well.

I enjoy your posts, even though I tend to disagree with you at times.  I appreciate hearing the "other side".

Ah....If you knew any real comm. guys you would understand we are too busy in another fishery to fish bass rec........Once we are done we are done.......On to the next fishery......Such is the nature of 21st century comm. fishing...........

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, robc22 said:

Ah....If you knew any real comm. guys you would understand we are too busy in another fishery to fish bass rec........Once we are done we are done.......On to the next fishery......Such is the nature of 21st century comm. fishing...........

That is the perspective of a real commercial fishermen. (An accurate one)

The guys I know personally supliment their income with bass when conditions are favorable. Makes it easier to live with the expense of having a fishing boat. 

Edited by ged

15 hours ago, ged said:

The EPO know what is going on at the canal. They have increased their presence and should continue to do so. 

How many times can you call them and not have them show show up before you stop calling? Some people are fatigued from that experience. 

Plug builders get caught poaching and they still attend shows, and sell their plugs. 

If that’s a fact then it’s public knowledge, out with the names and let the fishermen take care of it.  That will be the last show

15 hours ago, bob_G said:

Carl I find your suggestion to close the canal to comm fishing hypocritical as well.  I gave up comm fishing years ago, so I gave no dog in the fight.

However,  just because you hold no comm license, you still participated in comm fishing. You personally told me you fish on every comm day possible, for striped bass and black sea bass. I called you on two occasions this summer, and your lovely wife told me on both occasions "it's a commercial day, and Carl's always out fishing."

So I guess there's only one question to ask:

While you out on your buddy's boat commercial striped bass fishing, were the legal size fish you caught released, or were they kept and sold? (A one word answer will suffice)

What are you speaking about the one where you, every year sit and complain here about all of the poaching going on here and all of the fish you see covered under the bushes . You have been the one who also posted here  that you wanted to do something about it and agreed that one way to do that would be to make the canal a pure recreational place where only one fish would be allowed and that we would go to the Corp and attempt to have them change how they manage this resource for the future . Now you are saying  otherwise?

I know that your post also is again an attempt to distort the truth and to create friction here, so be it.

What kind of jibberage is that ? {One word answer will suffice}  You provided your concern about how i fish [Recreationally] when as you posted some where, it is non of my business , when asking a question,  so the same back to you.

Carl,

You're really getting carried away here. 

1. Yes, I did say something needs to change on the canal. Poaching is rampant.  2. No I don't support the present commercial striped bass regs as they pertain to the canal.  It's discriminatory. If a man has the ability, he should not be restricted to two comm fish daily. The same rules and daily limits that apply to boat anglers should apply to the canal.

I still maintain that if you are fishing on a commercial boat, on a commercial day, and the legal striped bass that you catch are being kept and sold and entered into the quota, then you are participating in a commercial fishery.