Angler #1

Making the Canal a Real Recreational

Rate this topic

297 posts in this topic

12 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Just for the hell of it, I tried to look it up. While I couldn't find any definitive map of the land the ACOE controls, It does appear that you are correct, thy control a more than just the canal itself. All of the town parks along the canal are leased to the towns by the ACOE. I'd wager at this point that the ACOE controls all of the land up to the roads that parallel the canal.

Mike they lease out many of the ventures in and around the canal Bourne leases the land where the Camp Ground and Ice Skating are as well as to the State where Scusett is. The Sandwich marina also is owned by the Corp as well and is leased out where aprox every 10 years they have a review of the {Order of Conditions] to see if they need to be changed . They allow no other commercial activity other then those who have a commercial permit to take lobsters that I am aware of. Joe Fish market lost his lease a few years back because he violated one of his orders of condition in his lease, buying and  selling stolen shell fish from a known poacher, that had no permits to fish for oR sell them

They do not allow Guide services or other ventures where money is exchanged on the federal property . . Some interpretation of the laws depends on how one looks at what the written guidelines have been agreed upon by them

16 mins ago, z-man said:

Only in the canal. :p

Damn, here I was holding a bass with its head facing into the current thinking it would recover quicker.

21 mins ago, z-man said:

Only in the canal. :p

Fish drown different than people...they drown when they can't get enough water over their gills...happens right after they flip upside down and float away...we've all seen it :o

TimS

5 mins ago, ged said:

Damn, here I was holding a bass with its head facing into the current thinking it would recover quicker.

Better than tossing them from 6ft so you can get your popper back out there :th:  

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

Agree. They probably spawn in the Charles and Mystic River as well as the Merrimack. Probably every major river in New England and beyond have spawning Striped Bass. I had the same talk with Dick Russel author of Striper Wars. He agrees The question is are the spawns successful? 

Riddler over the years bass have used these river systems to spawn , at times the spawn may have not been great, but non the less they did have juvenile fish in numbers enough that showed it was happening. Although they have never been able to so call see any floating eggs when they did some research years ago. At one time we had fish from 5 to 8 inches swimming even in the Neponset river system . In another time i was part of a raise and release project that planted hundreds of fish in the Mystic River systems by a group called the bass brigade . To this day they catch bright fish in this water system , that from those I have been able to speak to have spoken about catching ripe females in times when you would not expect to . There is documented proof that these same river systems had enough fish in them that they netted them and sold them to market to pay for the first Boston Latin school in Boston over a few years . Who knows what is happening today with in these same river systems . I can recall a time during the hard winter months for example catching bass through the ice in some local river systems , until we had a bad freeze and when the tide dropped out the ice came down and most of the fish died for a lack of Oxygen or so we were told.  

Part of the reason I began this conversation was to help save as many of these marked  fish that may be left , that migrate out of these river systems during the summer months only to return in the fall .

These same fish intermingle with those that migrate up from the southern ranges for the summer months and it is my opinion that those are some of the same fish we are harvesting in the canal itself , . These are some of the fish I feel need to be saved for the future. How we do that is only a guess, but non the less an effort that is needed long term .   

So Carl no longer supports commercial fishing in the canal. Now, he's taken it one step further. He  no longer supports catch and release in the canal.

What specifically are you looking to accomplish here?  I've been fishing the canal for 54 years, and I honestly don't think I've had a bass that I've released get confused, disoriented and then drown? 99% of them swim away as if they've seen the devil himself.

Poor handling and a deep hook set will kill a fish. But not because the canal's swift current confuses then and in that confusion they drown. :laugh:

21 mins ago, ged said:

That works great in most cases if one is diligent enough to continue holding the fish until they swim away. 

On the other hand those who do not practice what you posted and there are many who just toss the fish, kick the fish,or drop them from a high place , that when they hit the fast moving  water, along with the usual swirling water   they become disoriented , stunned in some case and once as Tim related turn up side down reduce any chance of survival. 

Or in some cases they swim to the bottom where the current will push them into an open spot in the riprap and they die. Once they do not get water across there gills to get the oxygen, for me they drown. The motions we make to revive a bass after a long hard battle help the fish to keep the mouth moving along with the gills in an upright position is to get as much water across the gill plates for them to breath [That is if I understand it correctly]    I am sure you understand what i am saying :howdy: 

5 mins ago, bob_G said:

So Carl no longer supports commercial fishing in the canal. Now, he's taken it one step further. He  no longer supports catch and release in the canal.

What specifically are you looking to accomplish here?  I've been fishing the canal for 54 years, and I honestly don't think I've had a bass that I've released get confused, disoriented and then drown? 99% of them swim away as if they've seen the devil himself.

Poor handling and a deep hook set will kill a fish. But not because the canal's swift current confuses then and in that confusion they drown. :laugh:

Bob it would be nice for once that you put it all on the table with your postings . I have never supported catch and release in the canal for all of the reasons I have already posted Since your experience has not been the same as mine in my over 70 years I have observed many such occasions as many here have as well . I placed a little more detail into the answer so that folks like you can better understand the practices Of release that cause these fish to drown and or not survive . When any fish is stunned ,when one simply does not use the proper care in releasing them, and depending upon how long you engage, it will become stunned , disoriented and the fast moving current will not allow that fish to gets its bearings in many cases and as it is floating away with the seagulls feeding on it  it drowns 

19 mins ago, bob_G said:

99% of them swim away as if they've seen the devil himself.

I mean, their brain is the size of a pea, but still...imagine what you'd think if you took a bite of a sammich then got yanked by your face 100feet down into the sea. :).

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bob I take it you do not want  to be part of any committee that helps to save the resource we all fish on ? Keep making it personal , for what ever reason, seems to be the approach of the day. Since you have exclaimed that you do the majority of your fishing at night, how can you be sure what is happening, after you do see the fish released?

Edited by Angler #1

4 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Bob it would be nice for once that you put it all on the table with your postings . I have never supported catch and release in the canal for all of the reasons I have already posted Since your experience has not been the same as mine in my over 70 years I have observed many such occasions as many here have as well . I placed a little more detail into the answer so that folks like you can better understand the practices Of release that cause these fish to drown and or not survive . When any fish is stunned ,when one simply does not use the proper care in releasing them, and depending upon how long you engage, it will become stunned , disoriented and the fast moving current will not allow that fish to gets its bearings in many cases and as it is floating away with the seagulls feeding on it  it drowns 

Again Carl, if you don't support catch and release in the canal, what specifically do you support?  I'm looking for a specific plan please. :)

3 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Bob I take it you do not want  to be part of any committee that helps to save the resource we all fish on ? Keep making it personal , for what ever reason, seems to be the approach of the day. 

No one is making it personal Carl. But you're throwing unsubstantiated numbers, theories, and blanket statements out there and you seem to resent the pushback when someone questions their veracity.

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

Again Carl, if you don't support catch and release in the canal, what specifically do you support?  I'm looking for a specific plan please. :)

I guess if you became part of a working committee where all are dedicated to actually saving the resource, we all would know more then what has been posted here. That was the idea we had all agreed to back in the fall as you recall, but apparently that is not the case now. 

14 mins ago, bob_G said:

Bob, what's the big deal that Carl no longer supports commercial fishing in the canal? Is he not allowed to have an opinion? Of all the people in this forum I'd think you'd understand that this thread isn't about Carl - or you - or whatever is going on between the two of you.

I'd be astonished if you never released a fish that unexpectedly went belly up after it was out of your reach, floated away and "drown". I've only been bass fishing for thirty something years and I've seen it happen. It happens to everyone that releases a lot of fish. What the current has to do with that I don't know...that part is unimportant...if it were't for the current you could just pick up a floating fish and revive it some more? 

Let's not make this personal.

TimS