Angler #1

Making the Canal a Real Recreational

Rate this topic

303 posts in this topic

place to fish where all who fish it on a daily basis are allowed to only take one legal fish a day and no commercial catch would be allowed . We did have a conversation here last year in this regard in an attempt to discourage all of the poaching going on here all year long . It will take the Army Corp to agree as well as the State, would be my guess. I know we bantered this around last year and it seems that perhaps this might be a good time to interject a little thoughts about what is in the future for striped bass fishing in the long term and would it help overall to keep poaching at a minimum or is it simply a pipe dream ? Every year we have the same folks bitching and complaining about the lack of law enforcement and the lack of fish and perhaps this may be a way to actually do something that long term could provide a better way to manage the bass fisheries inside the Canal Itself. It will take a great deal of courage and conviction to carry this to completion and a whole lot of work. I am game if we can find a cohesive similar mind individuals that would like to see if it is a worth while project or not to help keep our bass stocks here in this area with healthy number to catch long term.    

Why make special rules for the canal? Guys park their boats at both ends and keep 15+ on commercial days. 

If you want to save Bass, change the rules for everyone, not just the canal. 

My $.02

1 hour ago, ged said:

Why make special rules for the canal? Guys park their boats at both ends and keep 15+ on commercial days. 

If you want to save Bass, change the rules for everyone, not just the canal. 

My $.02

Amen. This site is currently wrought with Canal Derangement Syndrome. 

Small potatoes, bottom dragging and netting off shore in the wintering grounds are the biggest problems. The destruction that the draggers do is a huge environmental problem as well as bycatch. The netters are a destructive force unto them selves as by catch and shorts can be seen floating by the thousands. 

Much bigger factors are the destruction of habitat, pollution, by-catch and a luck of forage. Rod and reel fishing -- not so.

Make a separate license to fish the Canal and use that money to pay for the 24/7 law enforcement.

3 hours ago, Mikx said:

Much bigger factors are the destruction of habitat, pollution, by-catch and a luck of forage. Rod and reel fishing -- not so.

Make a separate license to fish the Canal and use that money to pay for the 24/7 law enforcement.

Exactly this. The canal is a 7 mile stretch of water. Bigger and more viable efforts would focus on pollution (such as the crap water being leaked from river ways like the Merrimack). All we do is talk about one body of water when we could be making leeway into much larger issues regarding fish swimming in human **** water and the giant population of seals mauling schools of bass. IMO the issue of the canal is brought up because most of the usuals there are pissed with all the visitors from the other states. If you really want to conserve, you ought to push for sewage storage regulations (which no one will do) and research other factors such as abundance of bait fish and water temperatures. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not your normal 7 mile stretch though. Thousands and thousands of large fish might come out of the Canal every season. Those are large numbers of large fish. It’s probably more significant than you think.

Edited by Tailslap

If you think that thousands and thousands of fish are taken a year from the canal then you , you might as well strive to ban fishing there. Catch and release fishing is pointless in conservation. You rip a fish out of the water via a hook jammed in its mouth and somehow expect it to swim away as if nothing happened. The best method of conservation is to stop fishing altogether. I’ve seen c&r guys catch sizeable fish after fish during blitzes. Instead of calling it a day after one or two fish they end up pulling up the whole school which inevitably increases the fish mortality rate. Other than increasing the number of EPOs at the canal, there is no other way around it other than a ban. Like I said before, there are other ways to maintain the health of striped bass and even other fish. Wastewater and seals are just two examples. 

2 hours ago, Astronaut said:

If you think that thousands and thousands of fish are taken a year from the canal then you , you might as well strive to ban fishing there. Catch and release fishing is pointless in conservation. You rip a fish out of the water via a hook jammed in its mouth and somehow expect it to swim away as if nothing happened. The best method of conservation is to stop fishing altogether. I’ve seen c&r guys catch sizeable fish after fish during blitzes. Instead of calling it a day after one or two fish they end up pulling up the whole school which inevitably increases the fish mortality rate. Other than increasing the number of EPOs at the canal, there is no other way around it other than a ban. Like I said before, there are other ways to maintain the health of striped bass and even other fish. Wastewater and seals are just two examples. 

Thats why Comm.guys actually do less damage to bass stocks than rec guys. They may catch and kill fish but once their season is over they are done bass fishing. They are not pounding on the bass for months at an end and causing all kinds of C&R mortality to the fish. 

What about the shorts they release ? The canal is a man made fish funnel that is unnatural and condenses fish to make them more vulnerable. Period. Stop fishing there. That’s not sporting. It’s rape. Plain and simple. 

40 mins ago, Kones1 said:

What about the shorts they release ? The canal is a man made fish funnel that is unnatural and condenses fish to make them more vulnerable. Period. Stop fishing there. That’s not sporting. It’s rape. Plain and simple. 

Every inlet is a man made funnel.  We are very lucky that boat fishing is not allowed in the CCC.  Many inlets allow boat fishing, imagine that cluster on a commercial day!

Inlets typically have deeper water with greater current than their surroundings.  The perfect ambush point for a shore bound angler.  There is no unfair advantage. The "easy" fishing has come, and it will go.  The cycle will continue.

Banning recreational fishing on the canal is silly.  It is the only reason to got to buzzards bay (the land, not the actual bay). I hate saying this, but it is true.

We have experienced big fish runs historically on the outercape, Block Island, Cuttyhunk, Montauk, etc.  Should we ban fishing there too? No.

Edited by ged

5 hours ago, robc22 said:

Thats why Comm.guys actually do less damage to bass stocks than rec guys. They may catch and kill fish but once their season is over they are done bass fishing. They are not pounding on the bass for months at an end and causing all kinds of C&R mortality to the fish. 

Rob, your statement is near sighted.  All the commercial guys I know also recreational fishermen.  Now, that doesn't mean that there are not dedicated commercial guys, but to infer some (probably more than 90% of the licensed MA striped bass commercial fishermen) don't fish recreationally outside commercial season is silly.  Commercial fisherman also practice C&R on all fish under 34". There is mortality there as well.

I enjoy your posts, even though I tend to disagree with you at times.  I appreciate hearing the "other side".

Edited by ged
edit

Its human greed the need to take more than you will ever need! Name a fisherman thats been on a blitz and caught one or two fish and let them go and then called it a day? Most guys during these times will not take the time to rivive a fish properly!