Buckscorider

Penn slammer with original fireline?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, 55555s said:

Ah, definitely not sandy beach fishing.  I dont fish anything like that at all. 

I think we towed a friends car out of a snow bank with 20lb fireline once.  

You could crane a loaded semi out of a ditch with 50. I don't know who decided to under-rate all of their lines so much....

2 hours ago, Tagman said:

20lb works fine on my 4500 Slammer. Never no windknots, mysterious break offs. I use 15lb on some of my lighter Shimano and Daiwa stuff for schoolies  and fluke.  The OP never mentioned what size Slammer he bought, but I assume it’s a 3500/4500 since he plans to mount it on an 8 ft rod

Its a 4500. Thanks..

Posted (edited) · Report post

35 mins ago, Kima said:

You could crane a loaded semi out of a ditch with 50. I don't know who decided to under-rate all of their lines so much....

I didnt know they made 50.

This is from last summers vacation in the Grand Canyon.  20lb fireline.

1.png

(ok, not really)

Edited by 55555s

Fished the Slammer 4500 for the past few weeks in the surf with 20lb PP, no line issues. Spooled, no backing, near the lip to the last marked line. In the past, with Penn spinners, I only used Fireline original when not using mono. Kind of a hybrid braid that fills the gap between braid & mono and works on older reels. You will give up some distance compared to true braid. Recent fishing in very strong winds and current in the Hawaain surf made me a believer in the Slammer 3 and line lay. That was tossing light plastic grubs with floats or barrel sinkers a real test. I do employ good line control by feathering/ tightening the line with my  forefinger just before my plug hits the surface and manually closing the bail. However, that NIB  reel was returned due to a pesty knock vibration on every handle rotation. A known issue, not mission critical for function but annoying none the less.  My new Slammer 4500 arrives in the mail tomorrow and I am hopeful.

Buckscorider, I have used Fireline for a year or two I think. The newer penn spinners don’t seem to need fireline like the old ones due to nice line lay. I have other spinners with good line lay, but I stuck with fireline (crystal usually) because of the user friendly nature. I haven’t fished right now since back in August, and I might not make it out again until April. So, I don’t want to lose any time on any of my limited amount of trips to a wind knot. Just my perspective. 

Use 14 lbs smoke on an older SSV BLS, and lighter 10 & 8 lbs line on a few smaller spinners. 

I like the 14 lbs best for versatility and strength. I use it on a teaser rig set up due to the possibility of a double header and that extra weight. 14 tests around 35-40 lbs break strength of FG or PR to leader. 5000 class reels and up. 

For a straight single plug set up, I like the 10 lbs best. It’s as strong as 15-20 lbs braids from most other brands, with better usability and user error prevention than those braids. I see no discernible loss of casting distance. It tests at 30 lbs break strength of FG or PR to leader. 3000-4000 class reels. 

I use 8lbs and lower for freshwater and for fluke flounder fishing on 2000 class reels. 

On 1/5/2019 at 1:50 PM, Bogey said:

Never had any problems with 14# Fireline original. 

Which actually breaks near 25#s

Fireline works on everything, pretty much the only braid that can claim that