Buckscorider

Penn slammer with original fireline?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

So I got a slammer 3 and plan to pair it with a Tica TC2 8 foot rated to 2oz.

I'll use it for beach fluking and schoolie bass. 

I use suffix 832 on all.my spinners except the Penn 704z (fireline) and like both. 

I'm thinking of loading the slammer with 14 pound original fireline and would like to hear you thoughts on this.

Casting distance vs 832?

Fewer wind knots?

Thanks in advance...

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have 14lb fireline on (2) penn SSV3500's.   I have been using them this late season for walleye and steelhead fishing.  

IT was snag city there keeping eggs on the bottom.   I suspect the 14lb fireline is under rated.  I truly believe their 14lb rating is really other people's 20lb rating. 

I like the line, but I do know it really isn't 14lb line.   IT casts ok.   Probably not that much better than suffix 30lb I use on my heavier surf reels.   

I was hoping to make a freshwater bass/light early striper/fluke mix.   Think I will need a 2nd spool to cast out 1/2 or 3/8oz jigheads when I am in shallow waters in the upper delaware river.

I did buy another 300 yard of 20lb to spool up a 4500 slammer.  That'll be my new surf light lure rod.  Like throwing 1oz or so bucktails or smaller poppers.

Edited by salt deficient

The new current generation Penns are super braid friendly. I would go with the Suffix braid and skip the fireline.

Fireline is good stuff, but it’s better on the old school reels that normally work better with mono. If you like using the 832, you will love  it on your new Slammer 3

wrt fireline original, 14lb is IMO overkill for beach fluke and schoolies. 

I have 8 lb fl on my lite fluke rigs, and 10lb fl on my schoolie rig no signs of any issues at all.   

Fishing off the beach, IMO 14 lb FL is good for pretty much anything short of a dedicated shark/CNR rig.  

I am curious what others are doing/using here.    

3 hours ago, ged said:

I use 14# on my freshwater set up. 

In our favorite pond I casted too far and snagged a submerged log that serves as good structure.   It was stuck in the mud underwater.  7' ML avid.  president 30 reel with 6lb fireline.  NOt only did the line not snap, but I dislodged the log and was able to reel the entire thing in.  It was easily 8' long water logged and as fat as my thigh.

6lb fireline.  We were all astounded that it didnt snap.    

3 hours ago, Tagman said:

The new current generation Penns are super braid friendly. I would go with the Suffix braid and skip the fireline.

Fireline is good stuff, but it’s better on the old school reels that normally work better with mono. If you like using the 832, you will love  it on your new Slammer 3

Which lb 832 on a schoolie rod?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use 14 lb. test Fire line all the time and love it. I think it is the best braid of the ones I've used. I also fish with 10 and 20 lb. too. No wind knots, mysterious break offs or other problems associated with other braids. Casting distance is excellent with the 14.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

9 hours ago, 55555s said:

Which lb 832 on a schoolie rod?

20lb works fine on my 4500 Slammer. Never no windknots, mysterious break offs. I use 15lb on some of my lighter Shimano and Daiwa stuff for schoolies  and fluke.  The OP never mentioned what size Slammer he bought, but I assume it’s a 3500/4500 since he plans to mount it on an 8 ft rod

9 hours ago, 55555s said:

In our favorite pond I casted too far and snagged a submerged log that serves as good structure.   It was stuck in the mud underwater.  7' ML avid.  president 30 reel with 6lb fireline.  NOt only did the line not snap, but I dislodged the log and was able to reel the entire thing in.  It was easily 8' long water logged and as fat as my thigh.

6lb fireline.  We were all astounded that it didnt snap.    

I fish the canal 90% of the time.  30# fireline has proven to be more durable near rocks than the other braids I use. 

3 mins ago, ged said:

I fish the canal 90% of the time.  30# fireline has proven to be more durable near rocks than the other braids I use. 

Ah, definitely not sandy beach fishing.  I dont fish anything like that at all. 

I think we towed a friends car out of a snow bank with 20lb fireline once.  

Another extremely important variable for me, I prefer a thick diameter line. I don't wear tape or a fingerguard. Thick braid, tight drag, 80lb fluorocarbon leader.

In december I was throwing out A17 AVA's with my 3500 and 14lb fireline out Atlantic city shores and inlet mouth.

I lost a jig and teaser that trip.  MY yozuri 30lb leader broke at the teaser loop.  Double uni knot.  8 loops for the fireline and 5 loops for the fluoro.