JCH

Korkers for jetties

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I live in New Jersey, and primarily fish from a boat, but when I fish from shore I fish beaches or salt marsh.  I avoid jetties, primarily because I don't have metal spikes for my wading boots.

I wear Korkers, and I want to get some spikes for them.  When I went to their website, I was overwhelmed by choice: carbide spike, hex disc, bar.

Does the forum have an opinion on the best type of spikes, specifically for fishing jetties in the northeast?

Hi, I use the Korkers slip ons. They come with Carbide spikes. Are you talking about you putting spikes in a wading boot, or getting a pair of strap on Korkers. I like the strap ons so I van use them on a pair of heavy duty hiking boots.  Please don't go jetty fishing without them. Tight lines. 

The bigger carbide korkers sole will do well on wet rocks and especially well on rocks thick with bubble weed (montauk) the rubber with the small studs are good for flatter drier jetties. Some guys like the felt w small spikes. But I haven’t tried em yet. 

The safest option is probably the sandals strapped to a waterproof boot that could be kicked off should you get washed into the drink and are facing a ripping outgoing tide and....

I fish those same NJ jetties and when my small spike korker soles began to feel worn down I screwed about 20 “kold kutters” into each.  Made for racing on ice and have worked great for me so far cutting through the slippery stuff.  Popular auction site had smaller more affordable quantities which made it cheaper than buying new soles.  

Another option would be to get Kold Kutter  (3/4 inch) and drill them into boots..... relatively cheap and can replace them whenever you want

Korker carbide  spikes work well in Corker strap on sandles. But you need to know there are two types. Screw in  Sandles and the other type you need a special but cheap insert tool to put in replacements. Yeh screw in ones fall out routinely. You must replace before wearing again or you screw up thread on insert receptacle. I can lose three to four studs per sandle on a single session. You can buy in tens or larger bags. Cost very soon mounts up.

The insert  spikes are much better life wise.

Korkers work but they don’t last.. I have trashed a pair inside of three weeks. But you need them if you don’t want huge medical bills.

mike

My old Korker lace slip / lace on are very functional, ugly, portable and dangerous. In a stream or river there was always the danger of getting something stuck between your wader foot and the Korker and then the current could use you as a pivot point and bad things could happen from there.

I use them in Maine on rocks and they work well. I miss the old Stream Design slip on booties that went over your boot foot wader. They had a zig zag pattern of gripping bars. No longer made.

FT

I own the rocktrax plus.  I have them in medium.  I wear size 9.5 lacrosse neopreme boots, much like the basic muck boots.  Thats the biggest size medium will fit.

rocktrax has about 1/2 the studs rocktrax plus has.  This is specifically for rocks.  The cast trax has some sole tread along with the studs.  Like for deeper snow, going over muddy hils, etc...   If it really just jetty only rocktrax plus is what you want.   I have no worries going on jetties with these, along as the weather isnt too nutty.  But, no metal studs will save you from be blasted from a huge wave.

I've given this some further thought, and I'm thinking that wearing waders on a jetty is a bad idea.

I'm going to look at bibs and boots.

Sensible thinking. If it’s rough then a life jacket is a good Idea to.

One  life.

In 47 years of shore based salt  water fishing I have only once see two sensible guys wearing suspendor type  life jackets and that was on the flats in Cape Cod.

mike